GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,654
2 members and 2,652 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Pan Am

Any comments? I turned it off about half-way through the show. I didn't find it interesting.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I suffered through it. Never again.

DaffyKD
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't live up to the hype.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that it definitely didn't live up to the hype. I've grown up around airplanes and was super excited for the show, but it was just mediocre. I'll give it one more episode, but for the most part it couldn't hold my attention.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I really enjoyed it. However, it may be because I was a "stewardess". There was a lot of "literary license" but many things were accurate. There were constant appearance and weight checks. No spare hose or not having your nails manicured could get you a written reprimand. Weight issues brought a suspension until you were again at the proper weight. It was a very sought after job that paid more than many of the jobs most women were getting with our degrees. There was a lot of free time and great benefits and it was a fun job. It was not the Greyhound bus that flying is today.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

It mostly set up several different story lines. The spy thing looks pretty cheezy. We'll see if things improve. I had forgotten it was the same time slot as CSI Miami. This could be bad. I have no DVRs.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It was kind of meh. It was visually appealing (a la Mad Men, which I love), but I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I'll probably watch it again next week to give it another shot, though.

I got annoyed that the background music was so loud that it was overwhelming the people speaking. A lot of the dialogue came out sort of mumbly and I couldn't tell what was going on, particularly with the spy plot. I thought it was just my TV, but I've seen online that quite a few people had similar issues...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm interested, the buzz among my friends and on Tumblr has been pretty good. I do love Mad Men, but I'm hoping that this show doesn't try to emulate it too much or I might not be able to watch it. Let's be real, no one can imitate a show as brilliant as Mad Men. That said, I haven't watched it yet, but my impression was that it was trying to be sexy and glamorous like Mad Men.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I have seen it. it's not too bad. I'm the show will developed better as the script improves.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I will give it one more shot, if I remember when its on...

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
I'm interested, the buzz among my friends and on Tumblr has been pretty good. I do love Mad Men, but I'm hoping that this show doesn't try to emulate it too much or I might not be able to watch it. Let's be real, no one can imitate a show as brilliant as Mad Men. That said, I haven't watched it yet, but my impression was that it was trying to be sexy and glamorous like Mad Men.
I feel the same way about this and The Playboy Club (and have thoroughly enjoyed the backlash/responses from actual Bunnies to the show).

Watching Pan Am, the whole time I was thinking 'alright already! we get it! it's the 60s!'
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
I feel the same way about this and The Playboy Club (and have thoroughly enjoyed the backlash/responses from actual Bunnies to the show).
i'm sure they didn't care for any of the dramatization. but 50 years from now, when there's a show about the flagship Hooters, i'm sure some glorified waitress is gonna bitch about how it's an unrealistic portrayal.
i hope there aren't people watching for the historical value.

that said, i didn't watch either show. Pan Am and The Playboy Club conflict with Sunday and Monday night football.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Hubs and I actually REALLY enjoyed The Playboy Club, even though we also said "It's not Mad Men, though."

Pan Am was kind of, eh. It definitely picked up in the second half, but I wouldn't blame anyone who did turn it off halfway through. They were just trying to develop TOO many plot lines. We said we would watch it one or two more weeks before making a decision about it.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
I really enjoyed it. However, it may be because I was a "stewardess". There was a lot of "literary license" but many things were accurate. There were constant appearance and weight checks. No spare hose or not having your nails manicured could get you a written reprimand. Weight issues brought a suspension until you were again at the proper weight. It was a very sought after job that paid more than many of the jobs most women were getting with our degrees. There was a lot of free time and great benefits and it was a fun job. It was not the Greyhound bus that flying is today.
My how things have changed. For the better
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtau305 View Post
I have seen it. it's not too bad. I'm the show will developed better as the script improves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
I will give it one more shot, if I remember when its on...
Ditto