GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,161
3 members and 1,158 guests
Tridentia, Xidelt

Old 07-11-2000, 07:54 PM
greeneyedbandit

Post i'm starting a fraternity at my college, any tips

at the university of la verne here in southern cali i'm starting a fraternity from the ground up (so it'll be local at first of course).
anywayz, i've gotten tons of help already, but more wouldn't hurt so are there any tips you guys have for me that can help me out?

(btw, i don't need to know the obvious like i need a constitution with a large hazing policy or anything like that).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2000, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If there is a particular national fraternity you are interested in contact them directly. They might have a procedure to establish a Colony without being a local group first.

To get started find yourselve a faculty advisor that can help you with the schools policies on new organizations. Make sure you follow all of those rules. Then start recruiting. Letters to home addresses, flyers, ads in the school paper, and information nights are a good place to start.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2000, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
sctroy's said it all! Check with your school's IFC as well, they probably have a campus expansion plan, and they might be able to help you if you're thinking of colonizing with an NIC fraternity at some point.

May I ask, why a new fraternity and why a local, what are you looking for in a fraternity that isn't to be found in already established fraternitites? I'm curious because my greek experience is similar to yours so far. Whatever happens, best of luck to you!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-20-2000, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
anywayz, i've gotten tons of help already, but more wouldn't hurt so are there any tips you guys have for me that can help me out?
The only tip that I can give you has to do with social events. When you are planning these, try to not to only include sororities that are part of NPC. Give other sororities a chance like ethnic groups or service greeks!

------------------
Visit GSS-Delta Chi Chapter Online
http://gammasigmasigma.tripod.com
Old 07-20-2000, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Bandit, I know university of laverne (my mother went to law school there) and I also know it is a small campus which begs equeen's question of why you are starting a new one as opposed to one of the fraternities already established there? Your answer will, in part, determine how others on this forum advise you.

Other than that sctroy gave you some good advice. I know a local sorority there went national just a few years ago. Anyway, good luck . . .