GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,437
3 members and 1,434 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-06-2000, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Social aspects of labels

I know that greeks have gotten a bad rap lately, but I'd like to hear some opinions on what caused these social labels. It can't all be from hazing. What can we do to shake these negative labels? Do you think we'll lose some local chapters due to the bad rep circulating?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2000, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

As I stated in a previous post, I think that the media has a little to do with the rep that Greeks get. The movies that I have seen don't exactly portray a positive image of Greeks.
Also, since it's a lot easier to remember the negative characteristics of something, I think poeple's overall view of the Greek system is influenced by the not so honorable acts of a few Greeks.
I am not Greek, as I've also stated before, but this is what I see around me. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, Please.

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something.
~ Anonymous
Old 04-06-2000, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Tigger-

Here's my answers! A lot of them overlap, but you get the idea!

I'd like to hear some opinions on what caused these social labels.

1) The biggest reason is the media + our need for sensationalism (by 'our' I mean American society)

2)The seriousness of recent hazing incidents. (And of course, the fact more people are aware of them thanks to the media!) A lot more deaths + serious injuries in the past years.

3)Animal House: maybe this falls under media, but that's what I thought of Greeks until I got to college. My general opinion of Greek Life was that it was a bunch of WASPS buying their way into the hippest club, to look for a husband/ get laid as much as possible + drink a lot of beer. BTW- I'm so happy I learned otherwise!

What can we do to shake these negative labels?

I think Greeks in general are aware of these labels and over the past 5 years or so have been trying their da**dest to correct it. You'll notice the number of people on these boards that boast of their community service + all the good they do. Most (if not all) national organizations have official "no hazing" policies. Recruitment seems to (+ should IMO) focus more on what the GLO can do for you as a person than what parties it can get you in to.

Heck, consider this board itself. Greeks are finally coming together + sharing their ideas (+ occassionally fighting it out, too )with the overall goal + result being improving + preserving Greek Life

Do you think we'll lose some local chapters due to the bad rep circulating?

I think this depends on each school. At my school, the only social chapters were locals. (There were nationl chapters of professional + service GLO's). Plus it's just a tiny little school. So I think they have a pretty good chance of staying right where they are for awhile.

If we would have been a large school and/or had national social chapters + local chapters, it would have been a totally different story. I think locals have a hard time competing w/ nationals anyways, but with less people rushing, the chapters are spread even thinner.

So basically I think the answer to this is circumstantial.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Old 04-19-2000, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your input, as I stated in a different forum I am doing a project on the aspects of labeling.

I think it is pretty simple and to the point. the labels come from a few stupid people and we're all judged by their actions because of the media, which in turn reinforces society's misstaken beliefs of GLOs.

I'm not saying that some of the labels aren't true to a point, but shouldn't those labels be put on college students in general?...and even high school students now.

If you can't behave like a respectable adult (meaning not doing things that you couldn't tell your parents about)than maybe a GLO isn't for you. At least not the majority of them. I'm not saying don't drink, and I'm all for some light so called "hazing". Such as having the pledges all wear the same shirt or something, or asking them to complete a pledge project....what's the harm in that? To get a passing grade in a course you have to learn the subject, be tested on it, and ultimately complete all the requirements.

OKay, so I went off. I just wanted to say thanks, so thanks.
Old 04-19-2000, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
As far as losing a local chapter for a bad rep - I can say from experience this has happened. One thing many chapters do not have a good grasp on is the handling of public relations. My chapter was closed as a result of the chapter officers not handling a situation that caused negative publicity (I won't go into specifics, but an accident in the chapter house was publicized as an intentional act). The problem was, before the officers could get a handle on the rumor mill (which functions so effectively on campus) - the truth no longer mattered. Add that to some other bad-decision making, and the charter was suspended. It took 11 years to get recolonized.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited April 19, 2000).]