GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,361
1 members and 1,360 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

Phi Mu has closed their chapter at Lynn University in Florida.
What?! They just opened that chapter!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
yea... didnt that chapter just open last October?!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Phi Mu closing their chapter at Lynn was passed along to me. Both the person who passed along the information and I tried our resources to find the reason, but were unsuccessful. Phi Mu's website does not have any information at this time. Lynn University's website has removed Phi Mu from its Greek Life section.

eta - Phi Mu's website no longer lists the chapter at Lynn on its chapter roll for Florida.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 05-21-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Closed Chapters

Chi Omega- University of Nebraska-Kearney

Phi Mu- Lynn University (FL)

Zeta Tau Alpha- Longwood University (Alpha chapter)
Wasn't Lynn just colonized last year?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
The Lynn colony never became a chapter. It closed as a colony There were development issues. Clarified.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
The Lynn colony never became a chapter. It closed as a colony There were development issues. Clarified.
Thanks BabyPink...I thought they'd been chartered and was wondering how they could lose it so fast! That makes much more sense. I feel sorry for the women who worked hard to get the colony started.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi is colonizing at UCLA this fall! http://info.theginsystem.com/websites/axo_ucla/

This will be a recolonization for us- UCLA had our Alpha Psi chapter. I'm not sure when that chapter closed, but I'm very excited that we'll be coming back!

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ

Last edited by Smile_Awhile; 05-24-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega is recolonizing at UCLA in the fall. They'll participate in open house rounds during fall formal recruitment, then drop out and recruit their charter class after bid day.

If my memory is correct, Alpha Chi Omega was invited to recolonize when Gamma Phi Beta was invited back in 1999/2000. The original time frame would have had A Chi O recolonize around 2002, but the recruitment numbers didn't look strong enough until the past year or two.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow... I clearly didn't scroll down all the way, Smile_Awhile! Sorry for the duplicate!!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The Michigan Delta chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon at the University of Detroit-Mercy had its charter revoked due to manpower (although they had PLENTY of other issues as well...).
Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Closed Chapters
(snipped)

Zeta Tau Alpha- Longwood University (Alpha chapter)
This is heart breaking to me - in a perfect world, no Alpha Chapter would ever close.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
This is heart breaking to me - in a perfect world, no Alpha Chapter would ever close.
True -- in a perfect world.

However (and this isn't much consolation, I know), ZTA's Alpha chapter had closed once previously, back in the fairly early 1900s, in order to allow ZTA to gain membership in the NPC. At that time the school didn't meet the requirements of the NPC.

I believe the Kappa Delta chapter there also closed for the same reason in the same general timeframe -- to allow KD to enter the NPC.

Hope I'm not too misinformed, and any corrections will be appreciated, as long as they are done in accordance with the Geneva Conventions.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to our two new chapters, we are also recolonizing our Delta Xi Chapter at Arizona State University in early spring 2010.

Interestingly, since we are colonizing at Westminster College in Missouri, using chapter name designations will be particularly important since we have a chapter at Westminster College in Pennsylvania too!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Syracuse University

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
In addition to our two new chapters, we are also recolonizing our Delta Xi Chapter at Arizona State University in early spring 2010.

Interestingly, since we are colonizing at Westminster College in Missouri, using chapter name designations will be particularly important since we have a chapter at Westminster College in Pennsylvania too!

AGDee, I was looking at the Syracuse University Greek Life page and it said that they would not even consider discussing expansion until the fall of 2009. I'm hoping they open for expansion because, while I'm not an AGD and they don't have that GLO at Penn State, I can say I would LOVE to see AGD back at their Alpha Chapter! Do you think AGD will try their best to go back to Syracuse?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any inside information regarding whether we would attempt to recolonize at Syracuse at this point and if I did, I wouldn't be able to share it

That said, personally, with the lease ending to the University, and with it being our Alpha chapter, there are many squirrels around the country who are hopeful! We will all be waiting with bated breath to see how things turn out. The other one that many are hopeful about is our Chi Chapter at Michigan State. It was a painful one to see close, we still own the house and are leasing to (I think) the ADPis. I don't see that campus expanding for a while and Alpha Xi Delta closed right before us at that campus and, as part of the agreement when they closed, have first option to recolonize. We follow them. I think the economy in Michigan is going to severely affect recruitment numbers so I'm not holding my breath. Keeping our other 9 Michigan chapters afloat is going to be a challenge in and of itself. I know a lot of alumnae who would love to see us back at both Penn State and Northwestern, but again, don't see those campuses opening for expansion any time soon. Wishes don't always make it happen though.

I trust our expansion team to do what's best for the Fraternity, taking everything into consideration: campus culture, available alumnae, fraternity resources, etc. as they do with each new opportunity!

**The houses at both Syracuse and Michigan State were designed by our founder, Emily Helen Butterfield, the first female licensed architect in Michigan who is in the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame for her accomplishments in architecture.