GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,196
1 members and 2,195 guests
No Members online

Old 04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a local

First I just want to thank everyone on this site. I'm finding it very helpful to my research. My college has no greek at the moment and a group is slowly working on changing that, but the question i have for anyone of you, is that besides the college administration and the rest of the school, is there any other orgainization that we have to be acknowledged by to be considered legitimate if we are a brand new local sorority or frat? If we're going to do this, we want to make sure we're doing it right.

Also... I know that all the rituals of a sorority or frat is secret so I'm not asking for anyone to reveal theirs, but we're having a hard time coming up with our own, is there any advice you could give us on that subject? Thanks again.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2005, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
as far as ritual goes, you need to decide what sort of rituals you want. Most have a ritual for...

1) the day you get new members
2) initiation
3) Transition between active/alumnae

Think of what your group means to you. (these are all rhetorical...I'm not fishing for ritual info) What symbols have you chosen, and why? What are your ideals and why? How do you want your new members to execute the purpose of the chapter? What is significant about your history? Who are your exemplars/patrons/significant founders and what were their actions?

You're essentially writing a play to be performed for the next millenia...it's a huge deal. Think about the mood you want set, and go from there.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

When we formed our local org our advisor was a KD so she helped us out because she knew how rituals went. See if there is any faculty or staff that is greek they would be very helpful.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Delphico7 Send a message via Yahoo to Delphico7
Regional Multicultural

Hi there. I'm an alumni of a multicultural historic fraternity in the north east. We are looking into membership with the National Multicultural Greek Council (www.nationalmgc.org). Expanding is always challenging, but I think a great necessity for future growth.

Anyways, just thought I'd put my 2 scents in.

Alumni and Historian

The Delphic Fraternity, Inc. - Gamma Sigma Tau

http://www.geocities.com/delphico7/
Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Oh, and perhaps looking at non-secret fraternity rituals could help...I know Delta Upsilon makes theirs available online for anyone to read if you felt inclined. That's not to say you should copy, you definitely SHOULDN'T, but it would give you an idea of the wording and actions contained in rituals.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

For ritual you may look at the professors in your history/religion/english department(humanities).