GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,917
1 members and 1,916 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Minorities and Suicide

I found out on Friday that one of my students (who graduated last June) committed suicide. Aside from his love of heavy metal, he was a pretty good-natured, upbeat kid. He was always laughing and smiling (and bugging me~he was a bit of a pest). So, I was really surprised when my students told me last week. This makes him the 2nd person I know to commit suicide within the last year. Both were young, minorities, and male. So, I'm pretty disturbed.

Before, I heard the sad news, I became enraged during a conversation about the movie "Dancing in September" when a person I respect said that the movie was unrealistic because, "Black people don't do that." This form of thinking is so dangerous.

Ok, apparently something is going on. Or at least, because it has touched my life, I realize that this is a huge problem. My questions, are minority death by suicide increasing, or just gaining more attention? Where is the research on minorities and suicide? Why are minorities not being identified with mental health problems and receiving the proper medical attention? How can we alter the communities dangerous assumption that "Minorities do not commit suicide"?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-09-2004, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
I think that the numbers are increasing, and the reports are increasing as well.

Also keep in mind that in the AA community, folks kept their business in the home and did not readily go out to seek mental help. Also back then, most of the psychiatrists and psychologists were Caucasian and only viewed things through their own culture (European, Western culture), and failed to take into consideration those who come from other countries.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I was once under the assumption that minorities, in particular black people, did not commit suicide. Last fall a girl in my class committed suicide in her dorm room. We all were shocked because none of us knew someone who had committed suicide. We were all saddened by it, but none of us made any efforts to educate our fellow students on depression and other mental illnesses that could possibly lead someone to commit suicide. The situation was kept very quiet, and the administration refused to talk about it. Eventually people forgot about her until graduation when her name was mentioned amongst the seniors who had passed.

I am very interested in hearing some of these responses. I think we just felt this was an isolated incident that would never affect us again, so we just never did anything about it.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neosoulchild
I think we just felt this was an isolated incident that would never affect us again, so we just never did anything about it.

That's exactly how I felt after the first incident.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Oh boy I can relate to this! I am a child abuse survivor and no matter what "you kept your business at home". Sorry, after a while you gotta kill that sentiment and take care of yourself and do what you gots to do. I think I am considered the "black sheep" (pardon the pun) of my family because I have been in therapy/counseling. I can tell you that had I not sought counseling, I would be a 6 foot under statistic.

In 1992, my brother was almost a statistic. He survived a self inflicted gun shot wound (he was 20 at the time)

There was an article in Ebony in 2002 about minorities and suicide. I was working for a mental health facility at the time and gave the article to our medical director.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Abaici, I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

Snaps to you Jill for being a survivor. I had always admired the way that you presented yourself and knowing this only increases my admiration. I will keep you in my prayers too.

I cannot comment on minority statistics but I agree about the “keep it in the family” sentiments. I have known five people to die this way. Four were white males and the other was an Indian female. Two were my high school classmates, one in our 8th grade year and another the following year. After the second one, everybody watched us like hawks. The third was a co-worker and hers was a little different. I think that she was trying to get attention by swallowing a bottle of Tylenol and her husband was later then expected. The fourth was a friend’s younger brother. The last occurred this year just after New Year’s and he was my SIL’s BIL.

Last year for Louisiana AOII Day, our luncheon speaker was from a suicide survivors support group. It was very informative and made me recall things from my psychology classes. One thing that I clearly remember is that a suicidal person may appear “happy” because they have already made up their mind to do it. Of course, it all goes much deeper then that and it is not true in all cases. Another was about attempters who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge. Nine people have survived (attempters) jumping off the GGB. The one thing that they all had in common was that they changed their minds before they hit the water.

Recently, AOII has taken an initiative on depression and suicide prevention. Our Spring 2002 To Dragma has an excellent article, “A Silent Killer Speaks.” http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/conten...agmaframe.html

We are also introducing a new program called F.A.I.T.H. (Fostering Awareness In Teaching Hope). “F.A.I.T.H. shares information via an interactive cd-rom and is accompanied by the F.A.I.T.H. Journal that provides extended learning and discussion including small group activities. The Journal is a keepsake for all members to use as a reference.

F.A.I.T.H highlights statistics, warning signs and most importantly, information and resources for help. It also includes real life accounts from members who have dealt with these issues firsthand. F.A.I.T.H. seeks to de-mystify and de-stigmatize depression and offers a questionnaire to identify symptoms and information on getting help for this treatable illness.”
Old 06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

After my cousin's death, I decided to do a bit of reading on the subject. I recall reading a particular piece of research that mentioned the "happy" phase before the attempt. I've heard people say, " I thought he was getting better." They also mentioned that psychologically, some people who attempt do not realize that it's permanent. Rather, they are not thinking, ok, if I die, this is it. It's difficult stuff to read, but it's very interesting. I just couldn't understand it, and I had to find a way to try and understand why he did it. I come from a very tight knit family, so most of us were shocked.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by abaici
After my cousin's death, I decided to do a bit of reading on the subject. I recall reading a particular piece of research that mentioned the "happy" phase before the attempt. I've heard people say, " I thought he was getting better." They also mentioned that psychologically, some people who attempt do not realize that it's permanent. Rather, they are not thinking, ok, if I die, this is it. It's difficult stuff to read, but it's very interesting. I just couldn't understand it, and I had to find a way to try and understand why he did it. I come from a very tight knit family, so most of us were shocked.
You're right. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Depression and suicide are very difficult subjects and mental health is too important to ignore.

We will never truly know "why" they do it. Sometimes people think that if the person left a note that it will "explain everything" and that is not always true. Our speaker said that her dad left her a note. All it said was "To my one and only, I love ya, babe. Dad".
Old 06-09-2004, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that the numbers are increasing, but I still think that it isn't getting much attention. I think that this "keep it in the family" mess takes away from the truth and aids to skewing the actual statistics. Unless you are in the family or the word gets out, people never know the truth. How many times have you read obituaries that stated someone's cause of death as "complications from pnemonia" or "undetermined causes" or simply stated as died at his/her home?

I know that I have veered a little bit off subject, but they all tie in. I know that it may feel embarrassing or shameful for the world to know that your loved one killed themselves or died from AIDS or something else, but we need to be truthful. My students may not read anything else in the newspaper, but are quick to read the obituaries. Once they start seeing the truth and read about the REAL number of people that have committed suicide or died from AIDS, reality will really start to set in and we can get out of the "we don't do that" or "it doesn't happen to us" frame of mind.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That's true. I know of a family who decided not to disclose how a member of their family died (I'm one of the few people who know~and now I'm a part of the conspiracy). I guess, it's your right. But, who/what are you protecting? I mean, it's just ridiculous. We will continue to have a stigma related to mental illness (and HIV/AIDS) if people continue to behave in this manner.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think the numbers are increasing, but more records are being kept about it. Many people of color are deciding that 'keeping it in the family' is NOT going to help them, so they go and get therapy.

One of the bad things about a depressed person is that not only do they have the burden of their own problems, but they feel alone with it. People don't just keep it in the family, they keep it locked inside themselves. They provide clues, but they may be missed. Even if the clues are picked up on, loved ones who don't know what to do try not to address the problem. They may have the best of intentions (not wanting to bring up negative feelings), but the depressed person just feels more isolated.

Also, many people in our communities (acquaintances, classmates, etc.) just aren't compassionate! My friends and I often comment about how we have come across tooooo many people who are just plain mean for no reason at all. Someone who is already feeling worthless and depressed does not need to be surrounded by such people, especially not to reach out to.

I remember a classmate committed suicide and when it was announced in school, some people made stupid comments about her because she wasn't popular. Family members of another girl who committed suicide kept trying to keep the manner of her death secret so that THEY wouldn't feel embarrassed.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Could religion play a part in this too?

I've known black people, including a few family members who pass off depression and suicidal behavior as demon possession, "not being thankful", and lack of faith.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
Could religion play a part in this too?

I've known black people, including a few family members who pass off depression and suicidal behavior as demon possession, "not being thankful", and lack of faith.
It's interesting that you mentioned that. I was watching a pastor on TV, and for the past few days she's been saying that people are so busy being 'religious' (i.e. judgmental) that they forgot to be compassionate.

That's so true.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy The Molecular Genetic Perspective

In medical genetics, there is a tight correlation between folks who are type 2 diabetics and those who have bipolar disorders...

It is known that the brain is one of the major organs that metabolizes glucose for energy... So it may infer that if there is an inability to appropriately metabolize glucose due to the genetic predisposition to having diabetes: type I, type II or mature onset or gestational; then it would be seem likely that that inappropriate glucose metabolism would manifest itself with the neurotransmitters thought to exacerbate psychiatric disorders, such as substance abuse, addictions, psychosis and clinical depressive disorders: bipolar and major depression...

Medically, schizophrenia is affects the actual motor functions of the brain that can been seen with a CT scan or MRI...

Since there are a majority of folks of color that have a genetic predisposition to Metabolic Syndrome: Diabetes, Obesity, Heart Disease and Hypertension, then it would seem plausible that these can manifest themselves and masquerade themselves as psychological disorders first...

I think it will take the ancient Afrikan medical wisedom to treat this problem... "You are what you eat"... Mind, body and soul... Treat the soul, and the mind, and the body will follow...

Hayle, if you do not die by your own hand, then the stressors on your body will take its toll on you and get you...

It is kinna like, "picking your own poison"...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 06-09-2004, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy The Real Deal

I do not think suicide rates among people of color are increasing. I think they have always been under reported, ignored or whatever else that just did not get documented...

I think that treatment of people of color has been culturally insensitive and only until recently--like in the last 10 years--has any "out reach" been made to the various populations, namely by people of color practionners and those sensitive to issues and only some small improvements have been made.

I also think that most of the progress has been due to "court appointed" counseling as to why more folks of color are getting psychological counseling...

When the "Elders" say not seek a "psychiatrist", they are remembering the "helter skelter" days of "shock therapy" and sterilizations made on many people of color. They think that they see a "happy go lucky" person one day that comes out a "numb nut" another day. Movies like "Gothika" don't help...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Closed Thread