GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,078
1 members and 1,077 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chapters

Because Delta Gamma was founded at a school no longer in existance, we don't have an Alpha chapter, but my roommate's boyfriend is Pi Kapp, and his first question was where our Alpha chapter was. Theirs is at C of C, which is only an hour and a half away... and even though USC's is Sigma chapter, they were the fourth or fifth founded (something like they chose "Sigma" and it stands for "South Carolina"... something they brag about a lot). He was kind of confused when I said we didn't have one. My question... what other sororities/fraternities no longer have an alpha chapter, and to those who do still have one, is that chapter revered as being more special than the others, or is it on the same level?
Old 07-27-2002, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Phi Sigma Sigma no longer has an Alpha chapter. We were founded at Hunter College in NY, NY, but I believe they don't have any greeks there anymore. I'm not positive, though.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Phi's Alpha chapter is at City College of New York, so obviously it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
sigma kappa no longer has an alpha, beta or gamma chapter, as colby college no longer has greeks. when we were founded the alpha chapter was limited to 25 so we had a beta and a gamma chapter there as well. our delta is in boston.

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 07-28-2002, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

OUr first 10 chapters used to be defunct, but our Auburn Chapter (You know what happened to them) got reinstated, and our Beta chapter at Columbia just got recharted. Congrats and YITBOS guys! (even though you probably won't see this lol)
Old 07-28-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

alpha at wesleyan, beta at salem college and gamma at mary baldwin all became dormant when the administrations withdrew support of greek life. this makes delta chapter of adpi at ut austin our oldest chapter.

more special? i can't say for sure. different, yes. i'm a member of eta beta, a chapter that is only 20 years old. we don't have the alumnae that those southern and western chapters do, don't receive as many legacies, etc. we're also just in a plain different geographical region, so even if we were newer in the south, that would be completely different too.

no matter what, eta beta will always be #1 to me!

~*~
Old 07-28-2002, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Tau's Alpha Chapter is at Eastern Michigan University. Founded in 1899, it was closed in 1977. We made great strives to reopen this chapter and were successful on April 11, 1987. I know it meant alot to our organization to try to recharter this chapter and from what I hear, it has been quite successful.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi's Alpha Chapter is at Syracuse University, Beta Chapter is at Northwestern University, Gamma is at DePauw University, Delta is at Cornell and Epsilon is at University of Minnesota. There is something special about being a member of the Alpha Chapter and living in a chapter house that has SO much history.

Laura
Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Re: Alpha Chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Theirs is at C of C, which is only an hour and a half away... and even though USC's is Sigma chapter, they were the fourth or fifth founded (something like they chose "Sigma" and it stands for "South Carolina"... something they brag about a lot).
The Sigma chapter of Pi Kappa Phi at University of South Carolina was the fifth chapter chartered. Only two chapters of Pi Kappa Phi have been granted charters out of order due to special circumstances.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDambular
Re: Alpha Chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Because Delta Gamma was founded at a school no longer in existance, we don't have an Alpha chapter, but my roommate's boyfriend is Pi Kapp, and his first question was where our Alpha chapter was. Theirs is at C of C, which is only an hour and a half away... and even though USC's is Sigma chapter, they were the fourth or fifth founded (something like they chose "Sigma" and it stands for "South Carolina"... something they brag about a lot). He was kind of confused when I said we didn't have one. My question... what other sororities/fraternities no longer have an alpha chapter, and to those who do still have one, is that chapter revered as being more special than the others, or is it on the same level?

That sounds a lot like my chapter. We were around the 7th chapter established but our chapter is called Sigma Sigma because before we were Kappa Delta the sisters called themselves Secret Sisters, or Secret Society because it was back in the time that sororities were not allowed. So when it was finally allowed to have these orgs. we were allowed to still have something that symbolizes what they were before with Sigma Sigma. As for our Alpha chapter...I'm probably going to have to have someone else back me up on this one ... I do know that there was a fire at our Alpha chapter but i'm pretty sure it's still up and running!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Delta Phi Epsilon was founded at NYU in 1917. Alpha is active.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Alpha's alpha chapter was founded at the University of Virginia in 1868. It closed in the late 1800's during some hard times but it was soon re-opened and is still going.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Alpha chapter is at Ohio State University, they are still active!
Old 07-29-2002, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

KD's Alpha chapter is part of the Farmville Four founded at Longwood College.
It was inactive for awhile, the chapter voted to close itself in order for us to join the NPC (at that time Longwood was not a 4-year college). Once Longwood went to being a full college, our Alpha chapter was recolonized.
So it is going strong :O)
KDAmbular is correct, there was a fire, and it did destroy the part of the campus where KD was founded. However, I do not believe any KD artifacts were lost.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Theta Pi's Alpha Chapter is at Miami of Ohio (August 8, 1839), and they are pretty strong there. They have had a rough recent history (shut down 2 times in the last 10 years), but have turned it around in the past few years.

Note: Beta Theta Pi's Gamma Chapter, located at Washington and Jefferson, was established on June 1, 1842. It was the first fraternity established at W&J and in the state of Pennsylvania, and is currently the oldest Greek chapter in continuous existance in the world......meaning, their chapter has been "active" for over 160 years continuously!

Last edited by ZZ-kai-; 07-29-2002 at 09:21 AM.