GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,449
1 members and 1,448 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Fairly shocking admissions news from UT

UT has decided to NOT have a summer admit class this year.

Summer admits were people who didn't make the cut for fall, but were close. With the 10% rule, more and more kids are getting auto admission, and there are fewer and fewer spots for anyone else. Guess this means the numbers for 2009 are going to be ridiculous.

http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/freshm...sfc/index.html

This is a real bummer for those who were hoping for this chance...

Also a bummer for the greek system who uses summer for recruiting.

My son is staying in Austin this summer as a rush captain. Guess he will have time to find a job now
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I think this is a great idea. Summer B admits at UF were usually people who couldn't get in for the Fall Semester. If they can't hack getting into their state school with everyone else, maybe they should spend that first semester (or year, or two) at a community college.

I did know some people who did Summer B so they could get ahead on classes they needed for pre-med, or to boost their GPA for a specific college. I wonder if they'll still let regular Fall admits start in the summer...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You cannot compare the Florida method with the Texas method. In Florida, you do not get automatic admission to the flagship (UF), in Texas you do.

The problem with the top 10% rule is that it is squeezing out people who should be able to hack getting into their state school.

I know a kid who got summer admit last year from our highschool who had 3 B's in his entire highschool career - in all AP and honors classes, with a 1480 SAT (math and eng,2180 total), he was in the top 15%.

My junior son (baby) has 1 B from a freshman pre-AP honors class, he got a 33 on the ACT (perfect 36 math) and we are sweating him getting another B because it could bump him out of the top 10%. By taking away even the chance of summer admits, it will pretty much rule out anyone who has great test scores, but goes to a ridiculously competitive highschool from having a shot at Texas. CRAP!!!!

Read this article and it will elucidate the issues - UT could lose its football program if it gets out of hand

Maybe that will get the legislators to change the rule.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...305topten.html

Quote:
"It has become a crisis for us," Powers said. "We're simply out of space."

Asked about athletics, he said such programs, including football, might also have to be eliminated eventually. Most football players do not rank in the top 10 percent.

Last edited by srmom; 03-09-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thanks for posting that article. There have been rumblings about auto-admits in Virginia, but I think alum would know more about that.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if it starts messing with football, you KNOW that law will be changed!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
You cannot compare the Florida method with the Texas method. In Florida, you do not get automatic admission to the flagship (UF), in Texas you do.
Yes, I can compare the Florida method with the Texas methods, so I will continue to do so. Florida also guarantees admission to those who are in the top of their classes. The difference between Florida and Texas is that the demand is spread out among the 11 campuses of the State University System; it looks like most students in Texas pick UT as their first choice.

It might simply come down to the fact that UF and UT-Austin may end up like UVa and Berkeley in that admission isn't guaranteed to everyone from that state who applies.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think the state legislature or whoever will act before the UT football team has to be done away with.

Or y'all could just join the Ivy League
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Yes, I can compare the Florida method with the Texas methods, so I will continue to do so. Florida also guarantees admission to those who are in the top of their classes. The difference between Florida and Texas is that the demand is spread out among the 11 campuses of the State University System; it looks like most students in Texas pick UT as their first choice.

It might simply come down to the fact that UF and UT-Austin may end up like UVa and Berkeley in that admission isn't guaranteed to everyone from that state who applies.
I guess it's because we don't have anything like this in CT, and I didn't apply to any state schools for undergrad, but I don't see this being a big deal (beyond changed expectations for those students who want to go to UT). Doesn't this just turn into the same issue that every high school student will have in assessing their college choices?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Exactly.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any problem with the Top 10% rule. So some kids gets good grades and get left off their school's top 10%, so what? Not everyone can be in the Top 10%.

The people that should be blamed for how UT enrollment is today are the people in charge of budgeting the money to the schools. If the other UT schools could get enough funding, then maybe they might be a little bit more desirable to students. But until that happens, UT is going to be overcrowded.

Now lawmakers wanna lower the number of top 10% students---instead of it making up about 85% of UT's enrollemnt, then wanna make it something like 50% (or 15% can't really recall the number). Once they do that, there are gonna be people complaining that their kid can't get in.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
I guess it's because we don't have anything like this in CT, and I didn't apply to any state schools for undergrad, but I don't see this being a big deal (beyond changed expectations for those students who want to go to UT). Doesn't this just turn into the same issue that every high school student will have in assessing their college choices?
The Northeast as a whole is not as committed to keeping their students in-state than the South, Southwest, and West. I don't understand it. Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana offer full-tuition scholarships for in-state students who do well. New Jersey and New York lose more 18-year olds to out-of-state colleges than any other states in the country. I guess when you think of a top state school, nothing in the northeast comes to mind other than say, Penn State and Pitt.

Not every kid from Michigan feels like Ann Arbor is "owed" to them; the same is true for California, Virginia, and now Florida and Texas. Georgia's headed that way. I think the best thing to do is just realize that other schools have to be an option for the kids who can't stay within the top 10%.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess when you think of a top state school, nothing in the northeast comes to mind other than say, Penn State and Pitt.
That's true; UConn has gotten much better over the years for undergrad, but when it comes to Northeast state schools, in general their graduate programs (like UConn law and UConn and University of Vermont medicine) have better reputations than their undergrad programs. People I talk to who have high-achieving kids (high in their class and good SAT scores) tell me that more and more of those students are considering UConn, so perhaps things are starting to change, at least in CT. For the top 5% or so in my high school class, I think only one person considered UConn. The rest of us applied only to out-of-state schools and the private colleges within the state (Yale, Wesleyan, Trinity, etc.).

As to the rest of your post; it's just an interesting mindset for me, for someone to feel that a school is "owed" to them. Again though, as you said, it's just a far different mindset up here when it comes to state schools for undergrad.

Last edited by KSigkid; 03-09-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post

As to the rest of your post; it's just an interesting mindset for me, for someone to feel that a school is "owed" to them. Again though, as you said, it's just a far different mindset up here when it comes to state schools for undergrad.
I think it's a legacy thing, and how much the identity of some state residents is tied up in one or a handful of universities. Even though I grew up in Florida, where I grew up is close enough to Alabama that a lot of people have parents and grandparents who went to Alabama and Auburn; it's pretty much a given that they're going to get in, so if they don't, it's a big deal. I have a HS classmate who didn't go to Auburn, although her whole family did...she's pretty much the biggest Auburn booster I know!

I suspect it's even stronger in Texas, given that Texans seem to have a very strong identity related to the state.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see any problem with the Top 10% rule. So some kids gets good grades and get left off their school's top 10%, so what? Not everyone can be in the Top 10%.

You're correct, not everyone CAN be in the Top 10%....but just because they are does not mean that they should be guaranteed admission. When a student in Texas attends a high school so competitive that a 4.0 isn't even in the top 25% and is denied admission over a student with a 3.0 from a less competitive school and is in the top 10% who is admitted, there is a problem.

The President of UT recently released this report on the impact of the Top 10% Law on the university. Legislators voted to keep this law to assist high school students living in rural areas attending less competitive schools gain admission to Texas's flagship universities. According to this report, UT has seen no significant change in admissions of these "rural" students. If that's the case, then Texas legislators have no valid reason to retain this law.
http://www.utexas.edu/president/spee...dInterest=1292
Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Florida also guarantees admission to those who are in the top of their classes. The difference between Florida and Texas is that the demand is spread out among the 11 campuses of the State University System; it looks like most students in Texas pick UT as their first choice.
Munchkin, you made my point. Yes, Florida guarantees admission to A state college to those who are in the top of their classes, BUT they don't guarantee that you can go to the school of your choice, it is spread over the 11 schools (or however many).

IF Florida was like Texas, then conceivably, every graduating senior in the top of the graduating classes in Florida could choose UF (it being somewhat the college of choice in Florida), thus it could completely overwhelm UF and eventually, there would be NO room for anyone from out of state or even all of the top graduates.

That is what is happening at UT. If you are in the top 10% in Texas, you are guaranteed a spot at your choice of Texas public colleges- since UT is THE most popular, a VAST majority choose it. It is getting to the point that they are running out of spots in the freshman class PERIOD! That is why they closed the summer program, they cannot offer those spots anymore because too many guaranteed people are choosing UT.

Read the report posted in UHDEEGEE's post - it spells it out plainly

The president of UT is saying that it is getting to the point that there will not be enough spots to even take all the 10%ers (why the athletics programs are in danger). What do they do then? Build more dorms? Hire more professors? UT is already one of the largest universities in the country (numbers wise) and it is landlocked in the center of Austin!!!

The law must be changed!

Also, as UHGEEDEE states above, at our highschool, the top 1/4 has significantly higher grades than a 4.0, so a straight A student who only takes "academic level" classes cannot even be in the top quarter.

I guess I could have pulled my son out of that school and transferred him to a crappy school where he would be assured of being at the top.

Oh well, he is currently still in the top 10% (despite his freshman B, his GPA is 4.49 and he is ranked at around 6%), he just has to finish this year with no B's while he is taking AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP English, AP US History, Spanish III, Journalism (he's the sports editor), and Football.

Yeah, that's clearly a kid who "couldn't hack getting into his state school with everyone else, and should maybe spend a year (or two) in community college"

Last edited by srmom; 03-09-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I guess I could have pulled my son out of that school and transferred him to a crappy school where he would be assured of being at the top.
LOL! My husband and I have said this same thing. I have friends who pulled their kids out of our high school and put them into private school for this very reason.