GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,274
3 members and 2,271 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-21-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Psi

Oh, no, I wasn't meant as that being an attack on the fraternity... I just seriously wanted to know. We were discussing one day strengths of sorority/fraternities national organizations (specifically ours) one day and I was talking about how strong DG was nationally, and he admitted that Chi Psi wasn't. Since y'all brought it up, and he didn't get too specific, I was just curious how their nationals were. I wasn't offended, I promise!:-)
Old 07-22-2002, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

For What It's Worth, CarolinaDG,

the Delta Gammas at Florida State are fabulous.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, that's what I've heard! I'm proud of my Florida sisters!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Re: Watch your step

Quote:
Originally posted by TKEmz894
To those who are getting all over Frater Conard about his grammar......You might want to watch your tongue, if you look at his posts you will get the idea that he is an inovator of My fraternitys system, and the Greek system in general....He has set up numerous chapters around the nation, and if you like him or not, he is the man as far as knowledge of Greeks, their history, and probably your chapters history......Basically he knows what he is talking about.....he has been in the greek system for a long time and still is a major player.....So watch your mouth, cause he has alot of friends...including me.....
And maybe you can watch your tongue as well. If he is going to call out the credibility of someone based on their spelling, I'm going to call out the credibility based on his grammar. He can be a leader of whatever, but if he is giving such advice, he should follow such advice as well.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Kappa Sig has recetly returned to campus at LSU. Their numbers aren't as high as some, but not as low as others yet, they have the VP of the student body in their organization as well as numerous young men who strive to hold leadership positions on campus. Two fraternities have a reputation for mixing predomnately, but not exclusively, with 2 sororities, yet the other fraternities prefer to mix with some of the OTHER sororities because they feel more comfortable and think the girls are a lot more fun to be with. The ONLY absolute one can garner from this question is "Who's the BIGGEST". There is NO LITMUS TEST that absolutely defines THE best GLO (IMO). If you use the concept of a chain being as strong as it's weakest link, it's easy to see EVERY GLO has a link that could be considered weak. Even within the individual chapters some person or clique can waver from the "standards" and weaken the whole.
Actually, an interesting point to add to this would be that our recent recolonization of Gamma chapter was carried out much in the way Heller would have suggested - it started with the pinning of an 80-man pledge class to start the new colony, and alumni support has been key in the building of a new house and keeping social funds in a competitive stratusphere.

The point is, this particular colonization was not carried out in the traditional "find a 20-man interest group, have them rush to get to average size, etc" - to be competitive, a large first class was pinned in an attempt to get to proper numbers immediately.

Kappa Sigma has been, perhaps, a bit behind the curve set by some other nationals in terms of aggressive tactics for growth, but apparently we're trying to catch up. My particular chapter has recently been named one of our top chapters nationally, and one key reason for our improvement into this realm has been growth - our chapter is more than twice the average for fraternities on campus, which helps in allowing us to do the things that make us a better chapter than just 10 years ago. While we can argue about quality vs quantity, I think we have successfully shown that both are possible - and don't you think that having those extra 30 brothers helps when it comes time for intramurals, social events, or attendance at philanthropies? You can, at the same time, have a chapter that is the most 'popular' with sororities and GDIs, and be top in philanthropy, greek week, and GPA - and you can have the largest chapter, and still have the best quality guys overall. Why not have it all?

I think that's the only point that Mr. Conard and boilingbaker are making - if there are larger chapters than yours, then the interest is there on campus in the greek system. There is, of course, no reason to sacrifice whatever ideals you have as an organization - but if you can be among the larger chapters on campus, and still get the same (or better) quality of members, there can come distinct advantages along with this - and you avoid the monetary, manpower, and status disadvantages that come with being one of the 'smaller' houses on campus.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOUR CHAPTER SUCKS IF YOU ARE NOT THE LARGEST ON CAMPUS - more likely just that there can come significant advantages with being in the top tier in terms of size.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite Yogi quote

"Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Re: My favorite Yogi quote

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
"Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.
- Yogi Berra
[total hijack of thread]

Some other gems from the HOFer:

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"The hotel's towels were so thick, I could barely close my suitcase."

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."

and the classic: his wife asked him where he'd like to be buried, since he was from St. Louis, played in NYC, and lived in New Jersey. His response?

"Surprise me."

[/hijack]
Old 07-26-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Before Heller....

Quote:
Originally posted by TNAndy

The bottom line is that whatever rankings there were had to be somewhat subjective, and thus should not be relied upon to make life-long decisions. As we repeat to every rushee that will listen, "All fraternities are good fraternities". Is there a best fraternity? Sure there is--the one that's best for you. Seek and ye shall find.
Couldn't say it any better!

FKT