GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 762
3 members and 759 guests
LarryByday

Old 04-30-2002, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined a professional fraternity because of both the local chapter and the national fraternity. However, after two years in this chapter and the recent events in the last year, the only reason I am staying is because I am inactive and because I still believe in what the national fraternity says even if the local chapter believes it's okay to haze brothers and pledges and there response to risk management violations are "Oh well"

Still kind of peeved about the whole mess so don't mind me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

For me, joining Phi Kappa Psi was different because:

#1) As an African-American, I was really wary about joining a "white" fraternity.

#2) My dad is an Omega Psi Phi and my mom a Delta Sigma Theta, so I worried what they would think.

And #3) I really did not want to alienate my black friends by being considered a "sell out" to my race.

But, when I met my future brothers at the first rush event, I just knew that it was where I belonged. It may sound weird, but I just felt that it was home to me, and no matter what others would say, these were the men that would be there for me. And you know what? I haven't regretted one second of my decision...
Old 05-01-2002, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phikappapsiman
For me, joining Phi Kappa Psi was different because:.

But, when I met my future brothers at the first rush event, I just knew that it was where I belonged. It may sound weird, but I just felt that it was home to me, and no matter what others would say, these were the men that would be there for me. And you know what? I haven't regretted one second of my decision...
Dude, that is exactly what joining a fraternity about!!
Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I joined because of my chapter. There are 3 NPC sorors on my campus... and one of them actually has a stronger national rep than my org and the other org on campus... (they have more chapters, a little better known ) I knew this becuase, I am a geek and I researched and just what I felt from what I'd heard from people at other schools and such.
However when I met the three houses during rush... I didn't feel at home with the house that was strong nationally. At my school they have a kidna party girl rep and I hardy EVER drink among other things... anyway.. so I thought more and more about it... yeah they may be bigger I"d have more sisters around the country and maybe more opportunitites as an alum... but MY chapter is the one I"m going to be spending most of my time with... so why choose to be with girls you may not quite fit in with because their org is a bit more well known ?
Old 05-01-2002, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I joined because of both reasons but with a strong emphasis on the (inter)national. If my chapter had been weak, (which it is not) I still would have joined and worked to make the chapter stronger and more productive. . When I researched my choices, it was with the intention of being in a strong national. All 4 NPHC sororities have STRONG community ties and influence (sp?) Also, I wanted to be able to network with like-minded women in my org or the other 3 NPHC's. Also, alot of the community work comes from grad chapters which means these pople are dedicated to the sorority--jobs, children, husbands...in addition to the sorority. Also, our grads and undergrads have events together all the time and we support each other without question. I've met a soror who is close to her 90's and is VERY active in the chapter. For me, my membership is until I die. A lifetime commitment.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-01-2002 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

why I joined

It's about the people. I don't think that anybody has a clue until they're on the "inside" about their National. Having been through the Lambda Chi ritual, and knowing what I know, I can't imagine ever doing anything else, but that all came after I made my decision to associate, and that was done first because I knew some guys who were members and then because I liked the guys that I met. My son is a Sig Ep at the same school I attended, and at first, I was dissapointed that he didn't follow the legacy route, but as I thought about it, I realized that he had to make his own choices in life, just like I did. He liked the guys at the Sig Ep house and thought it would be a better fit. Having my son share my fraternal experience with me would have been fantastic, but only if he made the decision for the right reasons. He ultimately made his decisions for the right reasons. He's happy, so I'm happy.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Well Yo GorillaTom, Welcome to the Best Little Site in teh Country for Greeks!!!!!!!!

Check out the L site if you have not!

Since You are KC area, would you like to be on teh Convetion Committee of which I am Chair of?

Later Gorilla Bro.!

Damn, I have to learn to spell the! Oops just did but was watching my fingers!

I am going to put a Convention Thread soon as get a chance so keep the peeps open all!

Well if no one guessed He is a very close Brother of Mine! One of the Very Best. He is our Missive writer and a damn great one to boot! He is what I am not! He also spells well!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-02-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question to ponder

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Did you JOIN (i.e., what first made up your mind) your sorority/fraternity because of:

-the national organization
-the local chapter
-combination of both

Just thought I would throw this one out and see what kind of responses come out.
I became interested in [color=royal blue]Zeta Phi Beta[/color] because the chapter on my campus was a small active group and the Zetas were friendly. Once I completed my research on [color=royal blue]Zeta [/color] , I knew then that [color=royal blue] Zeta Phi Beta [/color] is the [color=royal blue] B E S T [/color] Sorority for me!!!