GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,259
1 members and 1,258 guests
navane

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, formal recruitment begins one week before the first day of classes. The PNMs meet half of the fraternities Monday and the other half on Tuesday. From there, the PNMs go on the internet and rank the fraternities from the best liked to least liked, while the fraternities cut PNMs that they don't want to see the next day. Wednesday the PNMs visit the top six on the list unless one of those six cut them, then the next fraternity on their list is moved up. Thursday is down to four fraternities and Friday is cut to two. Then Saturday is Bid Day.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to say that if I had been forced to visit everyone during my rush experience I would've hated it...

We have a "Meet the Fraternities" night in our ballrooms where the rushees can check out everyone but nothing is mandatory where I'm at.

Last edited by PANTHERTEKE; 07-11-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TechTransfer
i hate formal rush, so very, very much, but we're not allowed to do informal until spring quarter starts at the beginning of March. we use an old school, static recruitment system that's a lot like what the women use. the system doesn't work (last year less than 100 men went through) but we keep using it for some reason that is inexplicable to me.

this is what we do:

this year, formal rush is the first full week of class (in the past it was a week later). from the day the dorms open, until bid day, potential new members cannot be in the houses, except during scheduled rush events or during the single party you're allowed to have the weekend before. during the actual rush week, Greek men are not allowed to talk to PNMs outside of official events, except for 'casual conversation'. Greek men can't go into dorms they don't live in, can't call PNMs, can't congregate with PNMs. there are rules against hotboxing, wearing your letters near the dorms....other stuff i'm not remembering. there are a lot of rules.

monday, you visit all the houses (ten this year), for about ten minutes each (i don't remember exactly how long it is). at the end of the night, you turn in a preference card with all ten ranked. what's done that night varies from house to house- when i went through, some houses just gladhanded, while others did a slide show or presentation.

tuesday, you get a card saying which five you're visiting that night. which five is determined the night before- if your #1 choice wants you, you go there Tuesday night, otherwise they go to the #2, and so on. you visit for i believe 30 minutes, at predetermined times. this night is a lot of talking to people. at the end of the night, you turn in another preference card.

wednesday, you get two houses. you visit one for dinner, the other for desert. then thursday night, you get the same two houses, but dinner and desert are flipped. these nights there's often a speaker, usually an impressive alumnus.

friday at noon, bids are available. you go to wherever they're being given out (my year it was the auditorium, but it's often the student center), and go to a table, and tell them your first choice. if you got a bid from that house, you receive it, if not, they ask you your second choice, and so on until you have a bid.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I know that Ole Miss has one of the more formalized rush structures and it seems to work well for them.
Yes, it does! Not only do they have that and at the same time as sorority recruitment, but as part of that, and perhaps most importantly, if you just get invited to any final round party at any fraternity, you've got a bid to that fraternity if you want it. Both of those things, it seems pretty clear to me, help keep Ole Miss fraternity numbers not much lower than the sorority ones and amongst the highest in the nation.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I love the open rush at Indiana State. It is every fraternity's job to go out and rush. There are three fraternities that always do well at rush, and then the other seven either base theirs off a few parties or whoever happens to hang out with the brothers. Our rush numbers from the ten fraternities we had ranged from Pike who had 35 to Sig Tau Gamma who had 2. Everyone else was in between, the next highest was 23 by Pi Kappa Phi.

For one semester they did a structured rush, to try to "make things even" and it didn't work. I don't mean to bash it, because if it is done right, it works. But just doing it so that their isn't a drastic number difference is not the right reason. A potential guy is going to rush where he feels most welcome and will have the most friends, NOT wherever is smaller so he can make things even.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamorePike View Post
I love the open rush at Indiana State. It is every fraternity's job to go out and rush. There are three fraternities that always do well at rush, and then the other seven either base theirs off a few parties or whoever happens to hang out with the brothers. Our rush numbers from the ten fraternities we had ranged from Pike who had 35 to Sig Tau Gamma who had 2. Everyone else was in between, the next highest was 23 by Pi Kappa Phi.

For one semester they did a structured rush, to try to "make things even" and it didn't work. I don't mean to bash it, because if it is done right, it works. But just doing it so that their isn't a drastic number difference is not the right reason. A potential guy is going to rush where he feels most welcome and will have the most friends, NOT wherever is smaller so he can make things even.
35 is the biggest?

Isn't Indiana State a kind of big school?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure if you read it right, our biggest rush class per semester ranges from 35 to 2. We only have 10,000 students. Back in the 80's and 90's, Greek life was a lot bigger than what it is now. We have twelve fraternities and nine sororities. Biggest fraternity is around 70 and smallest is around 20.

But if you did read it right, Indiana State isn't as big as people think. The Greek life isn't backed very well by the university administration because what good things that fraternities bring are overshadowed by the bad.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

ISU is much smaller than I thought I guess. 35 isn't a particularly large pledge class and no where near the biggest on most campuses in the south (which is what ElephantWalk and myself are familiar with).
Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
ISU is much smaller than I thought I guess. 35 isn't a particularly large pledge class and no where near the biggest on most campuses in the south (which is what ElephantWalk and myself are familiar with).
He said at 10,000 students...which is way smaller than I thought ISU would be.

That's not bad at all for 10,000. Univ. Cent. Arkansas in Conway...the best usually take about that and they have around 12k people.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-16-2008, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TechTransfer
we have 9000 and a normal pledge class is 15-20, so I think 35 is excellent.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Monday-Thursday
9-12
Go to houses, meet guys, get a bid.
12-2
Every fraternity rents out a different bar
That sounds like our rush. What the OP posted sounds like sorority recruitment. I think the OP is weird.