GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,424
0 members and 2,424 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2007, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiLove View Post
Maybe I'm a little biased, but what would be uncomfortable about volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house? My chapter just cooks dinner for the families living there and sometimes play with their children (most of the time, there aren't many younger kids around). I was only uncomfortable once because I was trying to use my limited Spanish to find out what one woman needed, but between two people who could speak a bit of Spanish and one girl who could speak Italian, we figured out how to help her, and it was a bonding experience. All of our girls love going there to help out. The people there are really nice and quite thankful.
I was wondering the same thing? Maybe just sad to see families dealing with bad stuff?

My chapter went to our RMH every year and I don't remember seeing families around at all. Maybe it was the time of day, or whatever. We mainly helped out by doing work that they needed done - painting, gardening, etc. It was lots of fun.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Just remember to keep in open mind. I've unfortunately seen negative results for girls that went in with stereotypes in mind/previous experiences & observations...it's great that you're well-informed, but there is much more to sorority life than what you see from the outside. Go by how you feel during recruitment--that's when you'll know if you've found your home. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm a little biased, but what would be uncomfortable about volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house? My chapter just cooks dinner for the families living there and sometimes play with their children (most of the time, there aren't many younger kids around). I was only uncomfortable once because I was trying to use my limited Spanish to find out what one woman needed, but between two people who could speak a bit of Spanish and one girl who could speak Italian, we figured out how to help her, and it was a bonding experience. All of our girls love going there to help out. The people there are really nice and quite thankful.
Not having done it myself, I was refering to it being hard for some people to see families dealing with very difficult times and very sick children. Same thing with working with an older population. I personally have a hard time in any situation where I go and end up talking to a bunch of people I don't know whether that's in a nursing home or otherwise.

I hope that makes sense. It's just something outside of some people's comfort zones. I was certainly not putting down the RMcD House, it was just the first example that came to my mind.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Our philanthropy is Special Olympics. Obviously there are some people out there who aren't good at dealing with special children (or just children in general, not only the special ones). It all depends - I'm sure we have chapters full of special ed majors who love doing things w/ the kids and are participating in hands-on things constantly and if you were not of that mindset, it might turn you off to the chapter. So, I completely understand where VIS is coming from.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceIsSinking View Post

Kimber: They barely promote their philanthropy events and seem sort of disorganized. I am also fairly leary about wanting to join Kimber because I absolutely dislike their philanthropy.... Pizzazz: However, there are many girls in that house I do not like. These girls have serious attitude issues and many act incredibly childish. There is one girl in particular that will drive me insane if I have to associate with her. She's gotta be one of the snottiest brats on campus....

To echo what other GCers have already said, please please please be careful with what you choose to reveal online. I'll be frank and say that if people really wanted to find out which sorority is which (and with only four on your campus, it shouldn't be difficult), they could, based on what you've already said.

I know you say that you're going into rush with an open mind and that you hope that your established views will change, but it'd be a shame if you were at a disadvantage because a sorority member on your campus didn't like what you said about her house or the other houses, for that matter. Hundreds (maybe thousands) of people lurk here every day. You never know who is reading.

GC's a great resource, but as we've seen with some rush threads -- it can also bite you in the ass sometimes.

This isn't intended to freak you out, but if becoming a part of a sorority is that important to you -- I really hope you do take this into consideration.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Not having done it myself, I was refering to it being hard for some people to see families dealing with very difficult times and very sick children. Same thing with working with an older population. I personally have a hard time in any situation where I go and end up talking to a bunch of people I don't know whether that's in a nursing home or otherwise.

I hope that makes sense. It's just something outside of some people's comfort zones. I was certainly not putting down the RMcD House, it was just the first example that came to my mind.
Ah, gotcha. I know you weren't putting down the RMcD house, I was just wondering what concerns you thought there might be. Some of the people are fine talking about what is happening with their children, others just eat dinner and leave without really talking to us, which is fine. It's their choice, and it is sad to hear their stories, but they have a lot of hope attached to them as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I know you weren't putting down the RMcD house, I was just wondering what concerns you thought there might be. Some of the people are fine talking about what is happening with their children, others just eat dinner and leave without really talking to us, which is fine. It's their choice, and it is sad to hear their stories, but they have a lot of hope attached to them as well.
Yeah. I think it would be kinda cool myself. It really fits in with my future career interests and even If I'm not a fan of putting myself in the situation, I really do like helping people.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding. And moreso than not liking, but to "absolutely dislike"? How do you dislike fighting breast cancer, child abuse, etc.???
I thought she meant that she didn't like the philanthropy EVENT the chapter runs, as opposed to the beneficiary of the philanthropy. Purely random examples, but I know of a chapter that did a rather raunchy bachelor auction that might make someone uncomfortable. Plenty of people would absolutely dislike a lip-synch contest. As for me, I hate golf, so if the philanthropy was a golf classic, I would not enjoy working on that, even if it were for a great cause.

If the problem is the way the sisters talk about the philanthropy, I can understand that, too. If the event involves fraternities competing athletically, maybe the sisters are always talking about getting those hot XYZ boys to take their shirts off.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm a little biased, but what would be uncomfortable about volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house? My chapter just cooks dinner for the families living there and sometimes play with their children (most of the time, there aren't many younger kids around).
I reason why I'd be uncomfortable cooking for others, is because I'm a vegetarian. Whenever others see me eating everything BUT meat, they ask a million questions and I feel uncomfortable.

As far as kids go, I don't have any, and they also make me uncomfortable!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
OTW is right. There are people on here that will make it their business to find out what school you are at from the first post you make. Most are harmless . . but why risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

To echo what other GCers have already said, please please please be careful with what you choose to reveal online. I'll be frank and say that if people really wanted to find out which sorority is which (and with only four on your campus, it shouldn't be difficult), they could, based on what you've already said.

I know you say that you're going into rush with an open mind and that you hope that your established views will change, but it'd be a shame if you were at a disadvantage because a sorority member on your campus didn't like what you said about her house or the other houses, for that matter. Hundreds (maybe thousands) of people lurk here every day. You never know who is reading.

GC's a great resource, but as we've seen with some rush threads -- it can also bite you in the ass sometimes.

This isn't intended to freak you out, but if becoming a part of a sorority is that important to you -- I really hope you do take this into consideration.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I would never say anything that I would have a problem saying to someone's face. Internet or not. Honesty is the best policy, imo.

If someone and her group of friends were incredibly rude to me for no reason (to the point where those with me went wha? ), I'm probably not going to think very highly of them, or the sorority they represent. Like I said though, small numbers don't represent the whole population- so I am nearly certain my views will change when I encouter the girls as a whole.I truly hope the rude chicas are just a poor representation of XYZ.

And if a lurker really takes my comments to heart and decides they want to hunt me down, then hunt down my campus' sororities to warn them that I said "aljflejrf".. well then... they just have a bit too much free time. If by some chance it comes up during rush, well then so be it. I feel I am justified in my opinions and would state that- all while not naming names of the meanies. Besides, this truly is just pre-rush notions. During rush itself, things will be quite different.

I do appreciate the warnings and whatnot though darlings.

btw, ivy and 33- you are correct regarding my statement about the philanthropy "situation."
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, the philanthropy discussion could be split into a whole new topic. I know that my doctor doesn't like the idea of me being at a Ronald McDonald's House (or touching a shopping cart without antibacterial wipes, etc), but I always support the charity. Between saving the pop tabs and donating gingerbread house kits to decorate with the kids, and such to the chapter, I feel that I do my enthusiatic share.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well it looks like I may have finally gotten a break with my recs. I've gotten in contact with an alumna of Pizzazz! She will meet with me next week to discuss recruitment process, rush pointers, and of course the much needed rec! Also, she likes me so much already that she has offered to introduce me to her friends that are alumnae of Jem and Stormer! Talk about an incredible sigh of relief.

With this new development, I will have 2 recs for most houses by mid summer! Yipee!

Credit for this development goes to the GC'ers who took the time to create the rec thread (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=48462), as well as from the ladies who have pm'd me with advice. All of that information proved to be absolutley crucial during my quest and truly armed me with the proper way to approach alumnae regarding recs. Thanks so much!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceIsSinking View Post
I would never say anything that I would have a problem saying to someone's face. Internet or not. Honesty is the best policy, imo.
Oh, the irony of it all...
Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Oh, the irony of it all...
Just curious regarding the thread bump...is there an update to the story that I/we missed?