GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,252
2 members and 2,250 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 07-20-2002, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UMCP'06
a lot of (probably stupid) questions about rushing/sororities

Hi everyone! i am new to this board, and i haven't even started college yet (as you can see from my user name, i start in about a month) so i really don't know too much about greek life, but i am interested in finding out more! i have some pretty stupid questions, but if anyone could help me out, i would really appreciate it!

1. a lot of my friends (who are already in college) have been trying to discourage me from joining a sorority. i don't see why some people seem to have such a problem with it! (i know this isn't really a question, but has anyone else experienced this, and how did you deal with it?)

2. i am aware that the rushing/pledging process is different at every school, but in general, is there a large chance that a girl will not receive bids from any sorority (there are 14 at my school)? this is one of the biggest factors making me apprehensive about the whole recruitment process!

3. is it a bad idea to rush during your first semester of school? usually rush is in the spring because you need to have 12+ credits to join, but i already have 17 going into school, so i could do it in the fall if i wanted to, and i was thinking that it might be less hectic/competitive than in the fall. some people are telling me it might be a good idea to get a true feel for the school before going ahead and joining a sorority in case i change my mind.

4. now i know that not all sorority girls are blond haired, blue eyed cheerleaders (not that there's anything wrong with that, i'm just trying to point out the stereotype) - i am really pretty far from this image. especially as a person who is overweight, i often worry that people judge me immediately upon looking at me. do you think this is common during the rushing process, and would it hinder my chances significantly? (again, i know every sorority is different so there is no general rule here)

I am sorry to be so long winded here! hopefully if you've had the energy to read through my whole post you can offer some insights.

Thank You!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2002, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: a lot of (probably stupid) questions about rushing/sororities

Quote:
Originally posted by UMCP'06
1. a lot of my friends (who are already in college) have been trying to discourage me from joining a sorority.

People bash what they don't understand............
Old 07-20-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It is possible that you won't get a bid from any sorority... but realize that I say POSSIBLE, but definitely NOT probable. I knew two girls this year that didn't get bids... one had a really low GPA, and the other had zero, and I mean ZERO personality. But that's two girls out of the 700 who rushed. I mean, I'm sure there may have been a couple more, but I think you see my point. Really, with 14 sororities, you shouldn't have a problem, though, unless your GPA's just really low.

As far as when to rush, I'm not really sure. We rush in the fall (unless you COB) so I don't know whether it's better to go ahead and rush in the fall or not... my guess is not, though. Your friends are probably right, get a feel of the school first. Join other clubs, have your own life. The reason schools do fall rush is so that you can meet people, but it's also good to get to know a little about who you are going to be in college, because a lot of times that's completely different from how you were in high school. My best advice, though, is that if you wait until spring, GET INVOLVED!!!! A big reason of why school's wait until spring is so that they get a feel for you, too. If you're doing a lot of good within the school, you're more likely to attract some very good sororities. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-20-2002, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to GC!! Here's my take on everything...

1. Don't listen to your friends, listen to yourself. You're the only one who knows if you want to explore the possibility of being a sorority member. Tell your friends that it's your choice to make, and you'd appreciate it if they'd be more supportive.

2. 14 sororities is a lot more than some campuses. As long as you go to all the recruitment events you're supposed to and maximize all your choices when ranking houses, there's only a very small chance that you won't receive a bid, and even if you don't, there are other options, like COB (informal) recruitment.

3. There's nothing wrong with rushing your first semester at college, but some schools (mine, for example) don't allow first semester freshmen to rush. Check your school's policy on this. But anyway, I personally would recommend waiting at least until your second semester...going to college is a big change, and you probably won't need the whole hectic recruitment thing stressing you out even more. By second semester, you'll know your way around better, you'll be better adapted to college life, and you may know a bit more about your school's GLOs than you do now.

4. Know that saying "love is blind?" Well, sisterhood is love...it's blind too. People who really want you as a sister aren't going to care one bit if you're overweight or not, if you're blonde or brunette, or anything like that. Find the house where you really feel like they like you for you, and never let it go! So really, don't worry about the superficial stuff. If some house is going to cut you for a reason that petty, they are definitely not worth your time.

Here's more good advice...listen up to the other GCers, we've all been through it, and the people that post on these boards are really insightful and smart!
Old 07-20-2002, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UMCP'06
thanks for your comments! they were all very helpful
Old 07-21-2002, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a plus size girl and if a sorority doesn't want you because of something like that... don't bother with them anyway! Go thru, and at least give it a chance.!

TG
Old 07-21-2002, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

hey UMCP '06-

i'm from the baltimore area, and while i dont go to UMCP i have a ton of friends who do, and many of them joined fraternities and sororities there, so i know a little bit about it.

i would say DEFINETLY rush. while there are a few houses there who are into the stereotypical "sorority" image (with so many houses, sometimes you can't avoid that), most of them are wonderful and diverse organizations, and i seriously doubt that being overweight would hinder your chances of getting a bid from a great house.

but i would also recommend not trying to do it during your first semester, even if CP lets you. anyway, i think (correct me if i'm wrong) that the big (formal) rush at college park is in the spring anyway, and fall rush is informal. (formal rush is the most fun, in my opinion - during fall rush you dont get to see all the houses). anyway, college park is gigantic, and i would say (based on my friends experiences there) that you should spend that first semester just getting oriented to the school. rushing and pledging there sounds pretty intense and time consuming, and you dont want to be doing that when you should be out meeting people.

but anyway, good luck, and dont worry about what your friends from home think. most of mine didn't go greek in college, and what can i say? its just the kind of thing that from the outside looking in, it makes no sense. not many people who aren't involved take the time to try to understand it. but from the inside looking out, it's been one of the best experiences of my life. definetly do it.

good luck, keep us posted on what you decide to do!! i know you'll be fabulous.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
you might see when their formal recruitment is. i know at penn state girls have a better chance of getting a bid during formal recruitment than informal, just because it's more structured and there are more sororities involved. i rushed 1st semester as a freshman and had no problems. i feel like it's all about time management! don't let the anti's get you down. they're just jealous about all the fun we get to have in our organizations!!!

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 07-21-2002, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't let other people talk you out of something that you are curious about! And just because you rush does not mean you have to join! If you decide it is not for you then there is no pressure to join, but you should go through rush! As for rushing in the fall or spring I would say do it whenever your schools formal recruitment is. So if rush in the fall is informal then wait for the spring. I myself rushed in the spring and althogh I am glad i got used to college life before I rushed i just wish I was able to see every house. In my school spring rush is more informal. I would say not to worry about houses judging you by your weight. If the house really cares that much that you are not a size 2 you probably won't feel like you belong with girls that are very judgemental. When it comes down to it personality is what makes people choose certain people/certain houses!!! And don't worry about not recieving a bid from any house. In my 4 years in being in my house the only people who never recieve bids from any house are those girls that have unusual circumstances. Like girls who have really really low GPA's. Everythin wil turn out how it is supposed to and even if you do not get the house you want on bid day, you will feel so lucky that you ended up pledging that house later on!! Good Luck with rush!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

First off definetly go through formal Recruitment, it's a great experience!
I also agree with what everyone is saying, all sororites are different, with 14 on campus I'm sure that you will be able to find one that is the perfect fit for you!
Good luck!
Old 07-21-2002, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Remember, the stupidest question is the one you do not ask!

"Mrs. Cortwright, 4 th Grade Mt. Washington Grade School".

The "freinds who say no are the ones who do not know what the Greek Life is like!

When you join a Greek Organization, you make new Friends, learn to carry yourself better, become involved in many activities, learn social graces, strive to have better grades!

Yes there is peer pressure but the unknow is scarry to most!

Take the plunge and find out for yourself, not from what someone tells you> They do not really know!

Seek and Ye shall find, if not, then ye shalt not know.

I think you can find on this Site, we are from all different walks of life and have one thing in common, we care about our Brother/Sisterhood and each other or there would not be this many diverse people who work with each other!

The very best of luck and stay on site to let us know what is up with you and By the way , Welcome to our little world!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-22-2002, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
You can always check out informal rush in the fall and go through formal rush in the spring.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all, my best friend in the whole wide world told me that she thinks sororities are cults. I said, "Good, then don't join one...but what do you call those fraternities you love to party with so much?"

Second, my mother didn't want my to rush in the fall. She thought it was too soon, too hectic, and that I wouldn't know what I really wanted. Also, she and my older sister only had spring rush at their schools. At my school, formal rush was in the fall and it was A LOT harder to get a bid in the spring. Today, I am soooo happy that I didn't listen to my mother. To think - I would've missed out on a whole semester of my beloved Zeta!! Either way, do what feels right to you. Just get involved somehow.

Lastly, do not worry about your looks. Any sorority that judges you on that is not worth joining. In my chapter, we have super skinny girls, curvy women (as I like to call them), girls who look like beauty queens, girls who wouldn't wear makeup if you paid them, knock-outs who date a new guy every week, and soft-spoken homebodies. Basically, any sorority worth anything will see past any physical appearance. Trust me, you'll find somewhere where you fit in. (Also, I am pretty sure that every sorority on my campus - there are 7 - have more than a few curvy women!!)
Old 07-26-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Definately go through rush in the spring! I have many friends who were not a part of GLOs, so it is not like you are not allowed to talk to anyone outside your sisterhood!

Don't be nervous about not getting a bid. In the 3 years I participated in rush, there were only 2 girls who did not get bids. One because she narrowed her choices down sooo much that she only picked one sorority! She was on their B list and didn't get a bid. The other girl was completely rude through rush. She came to our house and didn't speak to the sisters and then she spoke negatvely about us to other rushees while in our house! I think she did this at at least two of the other houses. She really thought she was going to get a bid at this one house and was mighty suprised when she had been cut by all 4 sororities before skit night! Just stay positive, ask questions and have fun! You will be just fine!