GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,266
2 members and 1,264 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXgal View Post
I went through CPC recruitment at my college this weekend and I did not make it to the Preference Day. I had been feeling bad most of the day, until I realized I could create my own sorority. I need some help on the process. I found some information online on how to found a sorority, but I need some support on how to approach the Fraternity and Sorority Life office on my campus. I have most everything compiled that I think I will need, except of course the interest of others since I just came up with the idea today. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you.
So you just found out you didn't receive a bid, and you've totally prepared yourself to create a new sorority in ONE day?

This tells me you're not ready.

Please read this thread and the others that are referenced in the first post.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I went through CPC recruitment at my college this weekend and I did not make it to the Preference Day. I had been feeling bad most of the day, until I realized I could create my own sorority. I need some help on the process. I found some information online on how to found a sorority, but I need some support on how to approach the Fraternity and Sorority Life office on my campus. I have most everything compiled that I think I will need, except of course the interest of others since I just came up with the idea today. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you.
Sleep on it. In all honestly, this is not a good reason to start a new sorority. The greek community as a whole has to feel the need for a new sorority to be added, not just you. Even if such a need were there, there is no guarantee that the new sorority would accept you as a member.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I went through CPC recruitment at my college this weekend and I did not make it to the Preference Day. I had been feeling bad most of the day, until I realized I could create my own sorority.
:/

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
The interest of others is the FIRST thing you need, not the afterthought it is in this post.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The interest of others is the FIRST thing you need, not the afterthought it is in this post.
I'm willing to bet she doesn't have ANYTHING she needs, as she claims she put everything together in one afternoon.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

^^ *giggle*
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel as if I've typed this up so many times on greek chat I'm going blue in the face, but here it goes, yet again:

As someone who is a founding mother of a NATIONAL sorority in Canada (Alpha Pi Phi, founded 2009, 3 collegiate chapters in Ottawa, St. Catherine's and Kingston, Ont.) starting a new organization, be it trying to get another NPC on campus (and even then, all THAT has to go through NPC), local, etc. is A LOT of work. A Ton. As in, taking an overload of two classes would probably be easier than starting a new sorority worth its salt.

It's also very expensive. Who's going to fund recruitment? The chapter that has yet to exist? Everything costs money, and I think that's something a lot of people who come onto Greek Chat with the intentions of starting a new org don't think about.

The point is it is going to requite copious amounts of time, energy, money and, oh, FRIENDS! It's not impossible, but if you want to do it PROPERLY, and actually found something to be proud of that still EXISTS years to come, it's going to be hard work and a long swim upstream.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

requite = require
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your new chapters!!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post--but in response to the OP's request to post our successful foundings of local sororities--feel free to add Phi Rho Alpha at the University of Michigan to the list! We were established in 2005 and have just extended bids to 13 wonderful ladies in the Omicron fall pledge class. (We rush every fall and winter, and we intentionally keep numbers a bit smaller so each member doesn't feel lost in a house of 150+ sisters!)

Our website: http://www.phirhoalpha.com

I should also clarify that the biggest difference between us and the other houses, aside from size, is the recruitment process. We had scheduling and course load issues that prevented us from being able to dedicate 3-4 weeks (!) to our university's overly drawn-out fall formal recruitment, and we figured that many other women had this same problem, but still wanted the experience of Greek Life, with the sisterhood and service opportunities. Here, even taking a once-a-week night class (as one of my film-major sisters did) can pretty much shut you out of recruitment, nevermind if you are on an athletic team, in the music school and committed to nighttime rehearsals/performances (as I was), in the Marching Band, etc.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.nevadasagebrush.com/blog/...d-in-new-frat/

The gentlemen of Nu Phi were recognized as a Fraternity by campus IFC council last fall. As the article suggests, rules were later changed that de-recognized them by the University and IFC, and now they are classified as a "club". The entire situation that happened with Nu Phi really gets my goat for various reasons, and pretty much nips in the bud any attempt by a group to start a local on campus without affiliating with an already extant National. For now. I get the point from the side of risk management, and keeping "founderitis" at bay, as well as heading off other potential issues.

In my opinion, recognizing an org, only to not recognize them the following year is rather screwy. :-/ Especially for the reasons that were out of the fraternity's control that led to it.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
www.nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2011/10/24/veterans-attain-social-bond-in-new-frat/

The gentlemen of Nu Phi were recognized as a Fraternity by campus IFC council last fall. As the article suggests, rules were later changed that de-recognized them by the University and IFC, and now they are classified as a "club". The entire situation that happened with Nu Phi really gets my goat for various reasons, and pretty much nips in the bud any attempt by a group to start a local on campus without affiliating with an already extant National. For now. I get the point from the side of risk management, and keeping "founderitis" at bay, as well as heading off other potential issues.

In my opinion, recognizing an org, only to not recognize them the following year is rather screwy. :-/ Especially for the reasons that were out of the fraternity's control that led to it.
Sorry to say I think you are becoming a little too invested in Greek affairs to be healthy.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM

My question upon reading that is, does Omega Delta Sigma really have a written age limit in their bylaws, or is that what the 31 year old is telling himself after not getting a bid?

If a purely social group wants to discriminate on a certain thing like that (i.e. you have to be a veteran to join) it can get dicey.