GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
4 members and 1,430 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Xidelt

Old 08-01-2001, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about the pin for colonies. Maybe we didn't have it because we had previously been an installed chapter, but I thought that we were a colony during our new member term, and then during initiation we were installed as a chapter. Throughout our new member term we all had pledge pins, not the colony pin.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2001, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay girls, I realize that I've been slacking on this post, but here is a fun little tidbit for August 3:

In the earliest years of Alpha Gamma Delta, when sisters wanted to announce their engagement, her fiance would send the house a five pound box of candy!

Hmmm. Candlepassing was lot of fun, but in my opinion it could be improved upon with a box of chocolates. Maybe we need to start doing this again! :P
Old 08-03-2001, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Hhhmmmm...about the box of candy...I could definitely see my chapter reestablishing this tradition. How did that ever fade out in the first place? Then again, after seeing some of the rings the sisters at my chapter have, their fiances probably couldn't afford the candy. =)

------------------
Whitney

[This message has been edited by Laine4JC (edited August 03, 2001).]
Old 08-07-2001, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ladies, in answer to your questions about how chapters are named, here is the fact for August 7:

At the 1909 convention, Grand Council decided to create four provinces: Alpha in the Northeast, Gamma in the Southeast, Beta in the Midwest, and Delta in the West. Sometime after 1909 but before 1922, Epsilon Province was created to govern the lower Midwest.

After Omega chapter was chartered in 1922, all chapters thereafter were named by the province that they were in, NOT in Greek alphabetical order. For instance:

While Alpha Zeta chapter was founded in 1930, Delta Alpha chapter was founded in 1923. Epsilon Alpha was founded in 1922.

Hope this clears things up!
Old 08-07-2001, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thought I should clarify something in the previous message. While the first letter identifies which province your chapter is located in, the second letter identifies installation order.

For example: Delta Pi and Delta Rho are both in the West. Delta Pi was installed in March of 1991, and Delta Rho was installed about a week later. Its the second letter that goes in chronological and alphabetical order.

Hope I haven't muddied this up.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Maria I have a question about the chapters' names. According to that info, it seems like my chapter would be a Gamma chapter. I go to North Georgia and my chapter is Theta Delta. It's been a long day, so I may be misreading something or overlooking something. Why would my chapter be named Theta Delta if it is located in GA? I know you may not know this, but it never hurts to ask, right? =) Thanks!

------------------
Whitney
Old 08-08-2001, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Whitney,

No, you're not overlooking anything! I am not exactly sure about the answer to your question because the Quarterly is from 1931, so I'm fuzzy on events after that.

My best guess is that we ran through the Greek alphabet with Gamma province, so they moved onto another letter to denote your geographical location. If you look at a map, you'll notice that the Theta chapters are primarily in the South.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?
Old 08-08-2001, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting facts You guys have an awesome Motto

On another note.

My sister-in-law Jeannine went to an AGD alum function last night and had a great time. She mentioned that sometime in Oct. that there is going to be a wine and cheese function where she might be able to invite her husband(my brother) and me. So I thought that was kind of cool.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Theta is the South's ID for now. My chapter is Theta Upsilon and the one before is Belmont and they are a theta and Tampa is a theta. For some reason IHQ doesn't like for this to get out, my LC (Shawna) wouldn't tell anyone what the Chapter was to be. Go figure!
Old 08-22-2001, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hee hee, Leslie, you caught me! I'll have to look a new one up and post it later this afternoon. I was going to bid on another manual from Ebay, from Theta Sigma Upsilon--the sorority that we took over in the 50's--but bidding has already gone up to $61! I would love to own it but I just can't afford that--that's a week's worth of groceries for us!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Okay, ladies, I have a really interesting fact for this thread. It is not so much an Alpha Gamma Delta fact, but a flower fact.

We're all wondering what a "buff rose" really looks like. So go ahead and do a search for something called a "Lady Banks Rose." It is a true buff rose that you can still buy at a nursery.

Here's the interesting fact: The "Lady Banks Rose" holds the Guinness Book World Record for the World's Largest Rose Bush. It was planted in 1855 by a homesick bride in Tombstone, Arizona, home of the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

I've seen this rose bush many times! It wraps halfway around the block. Just think, all this time I thought that I would never see a real buff rose when I've admired that darn rose bush my entire life! (Did I ever tell you girls that I lived in Tucson for several years? My parents still live there and I go back all the time.)
Old 10-01-2001, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Daily fact for 10/01/01

Alpha Gamma Delta is the best sorority there is!!!
You gals are the best and thats a fact!
Old 10-01-2001, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know this guy, but I like him!
Hey, actually if you go to google.com and type in buff rose they bring up several types of buff colored roses, but the one mentioned isn't one of them. Another fun thing, one of my pledge sister's dad is a TKE and he saw our Armorial bearings and was like "hey, that looks familiar... wonder what that means!" and winked at her and she was like "well, you know, Emily Helen Butterfield did ours and a few others..." and winked back... I thought that was cute.
Love you all and I hope all is well!
Sarah

Facebook
Old 10-01-2001, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

In honor of our Fraternity's beloved flowers, our "fact" for October 1, 2001:

"Our Roses," sung to "Love's Old Sweet Song"
by Constance Frazier, Nu

Once in the dear, old days beyond recall,
When in the world mists began to fall
Out of the dusk a red rose came to birth,
Shedding its frangrance o'er the weary earth.
All illumined came that earth to be,
Through Alpha's symbol of fraternity.
Alpha Gamma Delta's votaries are we,
Pledged within the circle to fraternity;
We are faithful to her,
Loyal ever we
Hail, red rose of Alpha, all hail to thee!

Scarce had the red rose its first fragrance shed,
When down beside it the message was sped,
And from the shadows Gamma's rose sprang too
Bringing its message to me and to you.
And the world wiser grew as each one knows,
All through the mystic power of one buff rose.
We are faithful to her,
Loyal ever we
Hail, buff rose of Gamma, all hail to thee!

Softly about them, twining tenderly,
Shielding the roses all unconsciously,
Green leaves of Delta clung from day to day
As now they cling in the self-same way.
And what to us the symbol is and means,
So to the roses is Delta's green.
We are faithful to her,
Loyal ever we
Hail, green leaves of Delta, hail to thee!
Old 11-05-2001, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Bumping this back up to the top...

Ladies, an interesting AGD fact for November 5, 2001:

Founder Grace Mosher Harter comes from a quite distinguished family: her father's family goes back 19 generations to the British Royal family; and 11 generations back to the Mayflower!

Her mother's family was part of the Robertson clan, which is descended from the Scottish Malcolm III, who will be forever remembered as the man who defeated Macbeth.

Cool, huh?

Last edited by greeklawgirl; 11-05-2001 at 12:43 AM.