GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,554
0 members and 1,554 guests
No Members online

Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Would you pledge a transsexual?

First off, this is nothing I've personally confronted, I was just idly wondering about it the other day.

Scenario 1 - Pre-Op
Say your GLO had a rushee who was anatomically of the opposite gender from the gender of your GLO (i.e. a male rushing a sorority) but was living as a (insert gender), taking drugs, and planned eventually to have the operation - all other things being equal, would you pledge this person?

Scenario 2 - Post-Op
Say your GLO had a rushee who was anatomically of your gender, but only because they'd recently undergone sex-reassignment surgery - all other things being equal, would you pledge this person?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus1909 View Post
First off, this is nothing I've personally confronted, I was just idly wondering about it the other day.

Scenario 1 - Pre-Op
Say your GLO had a rushee who was anatomically of the opposite gender from the gender of your GLO (i.e. a male rushing a sorority) but was living as a (insert gender), taking drugs, and planned eventually to have the operation - all other things being equal, would you pledge this person?

Scenario 2 - Post-Op
Say your GLO had a rushee who was anatomically of your gender, but only because they'd recently undergone sex-reassignment surgery - all other things being equal, would you pledge this person?
Not this again......
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not care to check anatomy. A transman is a man and I have no issues welcoming one into my fraternity. I wrote about this on my blog earlier this year.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Not this again......
LOL, sorry, have we already been here? I'm new.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

An advantage of being in a co-ed fraternity is that we get asked this question less.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I do not care to check anatomy. A transman is a man and I have no issues welcoming one into my fraternity. I wrote about this on my blog earlier this year.
Agreed.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I would absolutely initiate any male-identified individual if they fit the ideals of my Fraternity. I have fought on my campus for this. I could care less if someone has my same parts or not.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL, sorry, have we already been here? I'm new.
Yes.... a time or two.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=142098&page=2
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=126924
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=103334
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=117019
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=111247
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=88559&page=3
Old 12-17-2014, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

For the record, I would not under any circumstances pledge a pre-operative transsexual, due to the significant liability that would come having a single (anatomical) female living in a private home occupied by 40-90 young men.

As for a post-op transsexual, I would say I would not pledge such a person, however, I also think I'm open to having my mind changed on this point. (Frankly, I would need a better understanding of transsexual psychology.)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
For the record, I would not under any circumstances pledge a pre-operative transsexual, due to the significant liability that would come having a single (anatomical) female living in a private home occupied by 40-90 young men.
Many (most) fraternity houses don't have 90 people in them.

And what part of "living as a man" do you not get? He's not going to be running around in a bra and pantyhose with a purse. Are you saying that men are such animals that they would rape someone whose anatomy fits? If so, housemothers need to all get pepper spray.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And what part of "living as a man" do you not get? He's not going to be running around in a bra and pantyhose with a purse. Are you saying that men are such animals that they would rape someone whose anatomy fits?
I could leave an open bucket of sulfuric acid inside the front door to my fraternity and trust the good judgment of everyone in my house not to playfully splash it on each other. But there's no reason to do that. The unrealized danger of placing an open bucket of sulfuric acid inside the front door - as tiny as it may be - outweighs the benefit to the fraternity of having sulfuric acid laying about.

Quote:
If so, housemothers need to all get pepper spray.
The eff is a housemother?

Last edited by Terminus1909; 12-18-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I could leave an open bucket of sulfuric acid inside the front door to my fraternity and trust the good judgment of everyone in my house not to playfully splash it on each other. But there's no reason to do that. The unrealized danger of placing an open bucket of sulfuric acid inside the front door - as tiny as it may be - outweighs the benefit to the fraternity of having sulfuric acid laying about.

The eff is a housemother?
Let us pause to consider the plight of these poor men who simply cannot control themselves to not rape and splash sulfuric acid upon one another.

Last edited by amIblue?; 12-18-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Let us pause to consider the plight of these poor men who simply cannot control themselves to not rape and splash sulfuric acid upon one another.
I've never used the word "rape." The previous poster ran in here, waving her arms in the air and screaming the R-word. So you'll have to address that question to her.

My concern is for the violation of the other pledges. For instance, in my house we had group showers. Would it be right for me to assume that all of this individual's pledge brothers would be comfortable showering with an anatomical woman?

Houses are shuttered all the time for hazing on charges of compelling pledges to be nude in front of members of the opposite sex. If my pledges showed up on move-in day and were informed that, in order to perform basic human hygiene functions, they would be required to expose themselves to an anatomical woman, what risk would be assuming? Fraternities operate on a razor-edge in the current environment. There doesn't need to be an intention of ill-will, anything that offers even a whiff of suspicion can be used to close a chapter. Any situation that, after being retold 12 times, can evolve into something iffy-sounding when it's splashed across the front page of the campus newspaper should not be a situation in which one should voluntarily choose to place their house. You can howl at the sky and bemoan that all you want, I suppose, but you sound pretty wild-eyed and reckless when you do.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:35 AM

Just because there are group showers, doesn't mean a group has to shower in them. (Does ANY fraternity have this nowadays? Were there no curtains or what?)

And do you seriously not know what a housemother is?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because there are group showers, doesn't mean a group has to shower in them. (Does ANY fraternity have this nowadays? Were there no curtains or what?)
You've never heard of a gang shower? Have you ever been to a gym?

And if 80% of the house has a 9:30 class, yeah, groups do shower together unless you don't want anyone sitting next to you in your POLI SCI 201 lecture.

Quote:
And do you seriously not know what a housemother is?
I've seen housemothers in composite photos from the 30s and 40s. I didn't know they still existed anywhere, or what they did when they did exist. And I don't know a single other fraternity or sorority on my campus which had one; we had close to 40 residential GLOs with housed memberships ranging from ~20 to 100 (the latter in the case of SAEs and TEKEs).

Maybe they still have them at like Christian or religious GLOs or something?

Last edited by Terminus1909; 12-18-2014 at 01:48 AM.