GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,388
0 members and 2,388 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM

And wasn't it mentioned that some people sign up just to be able to move in early and really don't care about rush at all? I forgot about that.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why on earth would they have on-site registration for such a competitive rush where doing a lot of pre-rush legwork is in the PNM's best interest? Unless they've already gotten recs et al and just for some reason needed to put off the actual payment.

Good question!

It seems like if they needed to put off the actual payment, which goes up from $150 mid-July to $250 by Convocation, that they may also need to consider the considerable costs upcoming should they join a sorority.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The concept of recruitment before school starts is altogether foreign to me, although I can see why it would be beneficial at some schools! One thing I've never understood though- at U of A, would COR/COB happen in the beginning of school? Or is there a different preferred time?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

COR is technically on going. Women that went through recruitment and dropped out before prefs might pledge and add to the fall pledge class or there might be a smaller pledge class starting after initiating the big formal Class or in spring

Last edited by HQWest; 08-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And wasn't it mentioned that some people sign up just to be able to move in early and really don't care about rush at all? I forgot about that.
It has gotten SO big that There does seem to be some girls encouraged to sign up where its not really their thing. Either the Birmingham mom trying to get a shy girl to do more (or by a party girl who realizes there will be many more rules than they planned)
Side eye
Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
COR is technically on going. Women that went through recruitment and dropped out before prefs might pledge and add to the fall pledge class or there might be a smaller pledge class starting after initiating the big formal Class or in spring
At Alabama, COB/COR starts as soon as the bid lists are given to the groups...if anyone, in fact, needs to COB/COR - just like at any other school. Since recruitment is before the start of school, they can't COR before recruitment. They have to wait till afterwards. And it can go on as long as a chapter needs to fill quota/total.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the answers! It is an entirely different world from what I know, so I didn't know if there were events in the first week(s) of school that would get in the way, or if they would want to wait for a new pledge class.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
The concept of recruitment before school starts is altogether foreign to me, although I can see why it would be beneficial at some schools! One thing I've never understood though- at U of A, would COR/COB happen in the beginning of school? Or is there a different preferred time?
At Alabama, COR/ COB is apparently held when ever the University demands that sororities do it, whether they are at or even above total
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
At Alabama, COR/ COB is apparently held when ever the University demands that sororities do it, whether they are at or even above total
That only happened last year. And they raised total to accomodate it. Whether that will need happen this year remains to be seen.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If this was already discussed, then please excuse me for asking it again. Does anyone know exactly when recommendations are due for the University of Alabama? I was just wondering. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
If this was already discussed, then please excuse me for asking it again. Does anyone know exactly when recommendations are due for the University of Alabama? I was just wondering. Thanks.
They were due July 15. Due to the sheer volume of recs they receive, I believe anything received after that date runs the risk of not being accepted.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
They were due July 15. Due to the sheer volume of recs they receive, I believe anything received after that date runs the risk of not being accepted.
I think July 15th was a Panhellenic recommendation, not necessarily an indicator of acceptance/rejection by individual chapters.

However, it is certainly best to have recs in by July 15th -- if not before that date.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I wouldn't say not "accepted" but rather that they wouldn't have time to look at it. There is a difference.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I wouldn't say not "accepted" but rather that they wouldn't have time to look at it. There is a difference.
True...bad choice of words. I would definitely agree with you on that!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, great! Thanks! Good thing everything is in on time.