GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,265
2 members and 1,263 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Quit listening to all those people who say "look around at the girls at pref, those are the girls who will be in your pledge class and who will be your closest sisters!"

Your sorority is NOT just the girls in your pledge class, unless you choose to be very lazy and make it so. This is especially true of smaller chapters. In a chapter under 80 or so, your pledge class doesn't mean squat in the long run, after your pledgeship is over. Look at them, yes, but don't let either awesome or sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

I think this bad advice is what makes people come on here all freaked out that they aren't bonding with their class.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-10-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
don't let sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

Hahahaha! LOLOL! Oh my gosh, we are rolling on the floor over here.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

In the words of Mick Jagger -

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
well you might find
You get what you need "
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My 2 cents...

I promise your social life won't be ruined if you don't get "top" house! Even the houses which aren't considered "best" on campus still have an active social life, participate in Greek events, have formals, etc and you will still meet more people on campus than if you didn't join (usually).

At my school it's very common for certain sororities to always have events with the same fraternities, as I'm sure happens across the country at other universities. Don't judge a sisterhood on a brotherhood. Your promise is forever and you won't know 99.9% of the guys you meet in college 10 - 20 years down the road. If you know one, you're probably married to him. If you know 2, it's probably your husband and the best man in your wedding.

Remember everyone is human. The sisters in every house are just like you and also joined to meet new people. They have their own talents and abilities, cherish them.

Just because you joined ABC, doesn't mean you will only ever be friends with ABC sisters. It's more than ok, it's encouraged, to meet sisters in other organizations including the house which dropped you. Along those same lines, if your rude to everyone in a particular house during recruitment they will remember that even when you join another organization. Is that how you want to start out your college experience?
I will be my whole life long"
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Be nice to your Rho Gammas. Don't speak badly about any sorority towards them. It is okay to talk with them about having a tough time or being upset generally with your schedule, but don't say anything mean about any house. In a perfect world, you could be less filtered and say what you want. But it isn't a perfect world, and you never know how seriously they take disaffiliaton. So don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Also, leggings are not pants.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quit listening to all those people who say "look around at the girls at pref, those are the girls who will be in your pledge class and who will be your closest sisters!"

Your sorority is NOT just the girls in your pledge class, unless you choose to be very lazy and make it so. This is especially true of smaller chapters. In a chapter under 80 or so, your pledge class doesn't mean squat in the long run, after your pledgeship is over. Look at them, yes, but don't let either awesome or sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

I think this bad advice is what makes people come on here all freaked out that they aren't bonding with their class.
This is very true. Example: I'm friends with the women I pledged with, but my college best friend and house roomie is in the class 2 years before me. I also continue to be best friends with my Little Sis who pledged the semester before I graduated (and is 2 years younger than me.) So your class doesn't always determine who your friends are.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is very true. Example: I'm friends with the women I pledged with, but my college best friend and house roomie is in the class 2 years before me. I also continue to be best friends with my Little Sis who pledged the semester before I graduated (and is 2 years younger than me.) So your class doesn't always determine who your friends are.
Hell, some of my closest friends from my chapter are not even women I was close with IN COLLEGE.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
You're right, but I think that's a big if. RXs are young and the rules are complex, so they may often get things wrong. But students are geniuses at half-hearing, getting a message backwards, etc. Anyone who works in student services will tell you that the single biggest challenge is just getting students to absorb instructions. With rush, throw in that these are new freshmen, it's a nerve-wracking situation, and they're in an artificial social structure that doesn't have any parallel elsewhere in life. I would expect a LOT of mis-hearing and tangling of information inside the PNMs' heads under those circumstances, even when the RXs are explaining it well.
No doubt. I think that the advice "to trust your recruitment counselor" is still a little complicated since in some ways, we might as well say, trust what you believe that your RC has told you even though you completely misunderstood.

I do think that most RC are probably good, informed, caring folks, and a PNM would be better off with RC advice than that of a lot of other sources they'd be likely to consult.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The one thing I can say is DON'T QUIT! My top choice dropped me right before pref when I went through recruitment last year and I thank the Lord that they did. I know now that they are not the house for me and I ended up exactly where I was supposed to. It's true that when a door closes, a window opens.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Remember: You can only get ONE bid.

Whether you have a full schedule or 2 chapters left after a round, in the end there can only be one.

So don't concern yourself with how many invites the next girl has.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

bump
Old 07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that you'll ignore the drop-dead gorgeous PNMs in their designer clothes. You don't know what else they may or may not have going for them and they might be released after day 1 for grades. Keep blinders on re: the other PNMs and concentrate on your own recruitment!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Take very good notes that you can use when trying to rank the Chapters. How you felt when you were there. Conversation, activities and did you connect. Also why you want to go back.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Take very good notes that you can use when trying to rank the Chapters. How you felt when you were there. Conversation, activities and did you connect. Also why you want to go back.
super advice!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

^^thanks It was actually a conversation I had with my daughter in the car. We have 1 more year!