GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,539
0 members and 2,539 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcubb713 View Post
I am a freshman who just transferred to a new university this spring, greek life is very big here and I would like to be a part of it. Like 10 of my friends are in one of the top sororities here and luckily they are having their first spring rush EVER because a bunch of the senior girls graduated early and they need new members. The spring rush is invite only and I was invited, but I am very nervous because I am overweight (5'7 and 190 pounds) and rush is very competitive here. Do you think that I have a chance of getting in since I have friends who will be pushing for me? Or will the sorority just not allow it because an overweight girl could ruin their reputation? Thankyou for your help!!

EDIT::
I'm sorry for saying "top tier", I was just trying to get out the point that It is a competitive sorority here and if anyone else who was overweight had any luck or knows anyone who had any luck getting into a "top tier" sorority at their school when they were overweight? And I am not just rushing because my friends are in the sorority I just like the sorority alot and the girls in it seem really nice. I have met alot of them and they have been really nice to me. Im just worried that they will not be able to accept me because I AM overweight? But is that not as big of a deal as I think? Thankyou!
Nope! No fatties allowed! Get your @ss to the gym, tubby...

Sounds like a "bottom tier" girl tryin' to be in a "top tier" group...Maybe you should worry about doing well in school and not being such a loser online.

Why do all these girls who are "bottom tier" material insist on trying to be in "top tier" chapters? Guess what, even beautiful girls join "bottom tier" chapters because many of those girls join simply because they want the sisterhood and the chance to help out with Philanthropy (I'm talkin' to YOU Penn State Greeks who are doing THON soon)....

Just because a chapter is #1 on your campus doesn't mean it is #1 at another school around the corner! Get over yourself and work on having better self-esteem and not feeling the need to be picked up by the "popular" or "top tier" girls in order to feel like you matter. With your attitude, good luck getting into ANY sorority.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

Sounds like a "bottom tier" girl tryin' to be in a "top tier" group...Maybe you should worry about doing well in school and not being such a loser online.

Why do all these girls who are "bottom tier" material insist on trying to be in "top tier" chapters?
Where did that come from?

Way harsh, Tai.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:

I disagree anf think you are being harsh. Sounds like an inexperienced freshman transfer (weren't we all inexperienced at one point?) who wants to fit in. The group she wants may not even be top tier but she thinks they are wonderful. I also didn't think this girl was one of the slugs we've seen - she may be legit. I think the yahoo answers people are far more entertaining!

Sounds like you wouldn't let her into your Junior League chapter either - well, she can join my top tier Junior League chapter then.

Last edited by Denise_DPhiE; 02-05-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Unacceptable.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Was she not being sarcastic? I thought so

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
Was she not being sarcastic? I thought so
That first sentence? Well, maybe.

After that, not so much.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemama View Post

After that, not so much.
Agreed, first sentence was meant as sarcasm. The rest though was just plain bitchy.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Those comments are in line with the way als463 usually posts.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemama View Post

After that, not so much.
Okay...so, second sentence was harsh, but the rest I stand by. I'm sick of seeing these posts about wanting to be "top" and turning down "bottom" chapters.

To KnightShadow, what was that supposed to mean? You say some rotten stuff too.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To KnightShadow, what was that supposed to mean? You say some rotten stuff too.
LOL...OK?

You have made several posts about disregarding the "top/bottom tier" stereotypes and encouraging PNMs to get in where they fit in. This post was dripping with sarcasm, but the message remained the same. I don't know why folks were acting all butt-hurt about THIS message.

I guess this is me being rotten, too?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
LOL...OK?

You have made several posts about disregarding the "top/bottom tier" stereotypes and encouraging PNMs to get in where they fit in. This post was dripping with sarcasm, but the message remained the same. I don't know why folks were acting all butt-hurt about THIS message.

I guess this is me being rotten, too?
Sorry...That was me being stupid. Disregard.

As far as the "top/bottom" tier discussions go, I'm pretty sick of reading about them. I guess some people didn't initially get what I was trying to convey. It doesn't matter if a sorority is "top" or "bottom" on campus-they all have something INCREDIBLE to offer.

I've watched girls who would be lucky to get an invite back from ANYONE (because they lack certain social graces, they don't have that glowing resume or decent enough GPA, etc.) act like complete snobs to women in various sororities because these girls thought they were "too good" for the sisters. It infuriates me.

The OP, who clearly has self-esteem issues, has the audacity to go on an internet site asking how she can make sure to get into a "top-tier" chapter when chances are (if her low self-esteem shines through during recruitment) she'll be lucky to get a bid from a "lower-tier" sorority.

Personally, I don't believe in "tiers" and I want that to be known. I've said it before. I will say it again. ALL of the NPC sororities have something incredible to offer. Stop worrying about who is #1.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

We aren't statisticians... we can't tell you what your chances are.

I say go into it, be yourself and hope for the best. Oh! And check your attitude about the "tiers" at the door b/c there is nothing more unattractive on a PNM than a that "I could ONLY be an XYZ" attitude when you haven't even been there long enough to really know about the other groups.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
We aren't statisticians... we can't tell you what your chances are.

I say go into it, be yourself and hope for the best. Oh! And check your attitude about the "tiers" at the door b/c there is nothing more unattractive on a PNM than a that "I could ONLY be an XYZ" attitude when you haven't even been there long enough to really know about the other groups.
Thank you, texas*princess because you said it much nicer and in a better way than I did. That is exactly what I think.