GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,308
1 members and 1,307 guests
acg233

Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Just going to answer the question in the title:

She should go through recruitment and find out for herself.

How can there be 4 pages of posts???????

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again...Greatfulgramma has the cutest username/best signature here.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Echoing what others are saying about not selecting the college because of Greek Life, I also want to point out that there's no guarantee she will earn a spot on the dance team if she tries out. And she shouldn't change her major or minor to accommodate a hobby, IMHO. But that's none of my business.

So I would plan accordingly to choose the best school for her academically in furtherance of her career goals. I'm pretty sure you're already doing that if you're gathering all this intelligence about extracurriculars. She may end up loving a school without a dance team and/or Greek Life.

I wish her the best of luck. I think she's going to be fine.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
No. I am not being elitist. I am being honest in my assessment and realize that she needs growth in this area.
I salute you. Those are tough words for a mom to say. I'm a mom too, and it's hard, isn't it? I didn't mean my words to be harsh and I apologise if they were a bit short.

Sorority life is very fulfilling, but it is very time consuming, if you are going to do it right and reap the benefits. I hope you will encourage her to explore and consider her options. Most of us on this board wouldn't trade our experiences in our sororities and fraternities for anything. But if we are honest, most of us will say there were trying and difficult times, too. And trying and difficult people. It's great life preparation!

I wish you and her the best, and thanks for hanging in for a tough conversation.

Last edited by Katmandu; 01-25-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: My 500th post! I will celebrate with an adult bev...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I will forever be grateful (and greatful, too, of course) that I didn't find GC until after my one-in-ten-bazillion granddaughter was firmly established in her sorority. I would have worried her batty with my obsession(s) on what she might need to be doing!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

slight hijack

This, …

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Sororities should NOT be a factor in college selection.
… is different than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Echoing what others are saying about not selecting the college because of Greek Life.
In my opinion, a college education should not be limited to just what one gets from text books or learns in class.

I do agree that one should not select their college “because of Greek Life”. However, I feel a college’s extracurricular activities (and social climate) should be considered as a possible factor in one’s selection. Simply because extracurricular activities can/may help round out one's overall education.

end slight hijack
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad this one didn't get deleted yet.

The OP should realize something. I think your daughter sounds amazing and wonderful. However, she is not going to be special or perceived that way by everyone else in college, professors included. She is a special snowflake to YOU. On a college campus, she is just another snowflake. College will become a humbling experience for her.

For what it's worth, my best friend in Theta was a Biology/Pre-Med major, played Varsity soccer, and served first as a VP and then later President of our chapter, in addition to clubs and other activities. She excelled at time management and today is a successful researcher who balances a demanding full time job with 3 children at home. It's done by a LOT of sorority women.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I'm glad this one didn't get deleted yet.

The OP should realize something. I think your daughter sounds amazing and wonderful. However, she is not going to be special or perceived that way by everyone else in college, professors included. She is a special snowflake to YOU. On a college campus, she is just another snowflake. College will become a humbling experience for her.

For what it's worth, my best friend in Theta was a Biology/Pre-Med major, played Varsity soccer, and served first as a VP and then later President of our chapter, in addition to clubs and other activities. She excelled at time management and today is a successful researcher who balances a demanding full time job with 3 children at home. It's done by a LOT of sorority women.
This is a perfect example of what you learn in college and especially in a sorority. You learn how to balance a busy schedule and to prioritize.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I echo all of the great advice that has been given on here. I also believe this mom is going through some very typical angst for a mom who is sending a daughter away to school - especially far away.

Skipping ahead to recruitment at an SEC school: you and your daughter really, really need to get your ducks in a row for this! Read, read, read on GC - google the recruitment threads, do a search for specific schools - because, and don't kid yourself about this, SEC recruitment will require as much prep as anything she has done to date.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to set the record straight 10 hours later...lol...I was not saying sorority life was not for the crafty and arty. I was using painting letters as a task that most have done, some better than others, but done in love and sisterhood. And if that is perceived as "silly tasks" then maybe it isn't right for OP's daughter. Of course the OP's daughter can volunteer for whatever her hearts desires, but when your heart is firmly planted in your sisterhood no task that promotes that sisterhood is ever looked at as silly.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Sororities should NOT be a factor in college selection.
Why not? I don't think they should be a DEFINING factor, but it's part of "campus life," and there is more to going to college than just being in classes.

I'll use myself as an example--I knew I wanted to go to a school where my joining an NPC sorority was an option. I had a list of schools I was interested in, not just because of their academics, but because they provided the campus life that I wanted...and part of that was a diverse Greek system. I got into my first-choice school, joined an NPC, and had a great time and a great education that opens doors to me to this very day.

Some people want to go to college in a small town, others in a big city. Some people want a big football school while others would be in hog heaven if there was an Ultimate Frisbee league. Why should Greek life be any different?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's fine to include Greek Life as part of the college application criteria, but when my daughter was looking at colleges, my husband did say he didn't want her to select or eliminate based on whether her legacy chapters were on campus.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I echo all of the great advice that has been given on here. I also believe this mom is going through some very typical angst for a mom who is sending a daughter away to school - especially far away.

Skipping ahead to recruitment at an SEC school: you and your daughter really, really need to get your ducks in a row for this! Read, read, read on GC - google the recruitment threads, do a search for specific schools - because, and don't kid yourself about this, SEC recruitment will require as much prep as anything she has done to date.
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To answer your question- yes she can be viewed as somewhat odd compared to other teens her age. She is silly, creative and has a very liberal attitude. We live in a very conservative republican suburb. If you watch her favorite commedy video I think you will understand how creatively different she can be compared to her surroundins @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUX4cSwrRk.
Tells me that she, dd, will not fare well in the SEC where the Tea Party is often seen as too liberal for polite company.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 01-25-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Tells me that she, dd, will not fare well in the SEC where the Tea Party is often seen as too liberal for polite company.
While it may be the exception to the rule, there are liberals who have had successful SEC recruitments.

Just saying.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
Pointless. It doesn't matter who you are, you're not getting a bid without preparing. That means securing recs beforehand. You do not "wing" rush at an SEC school.