GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,696
2 members and 1,694 guests
g41965, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Affiliating question

I am currently a Chi Omega at a University and will be initiated in January. I have to move to another University next year for personal reasons but i wanted to affiliate back with Chi Omega at that University. The only problem i have is that a older girl and I do not get along very well and she is a active Chi Omega. Does she have any say in whether i get in? or does it not matter since i am already initiated and officially a Chi Omega?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady77 View Post
I am currently a Chi Omega at a University and will be initiated in January. I have to move to another University next year for personal reasons but i wanted to affiliate back with Chi Omega at that University. The only problem i have is that a older girl and I do not get along very well and she is a active Chi Omega. Does she have any say in whether i get in? or does it not matter since i am already initiated and officially a Chi Omega?
Have you already contacted your national or regional/district/local body to ask them this question (without saying that this question is rooted in a young lady who you do not get along with)?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Ditto Dr. Phil.

The most accurate answer will come from your HQ. (Though, I think individual NPCs policies on chapter transfers are pretty similar.)
Old 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady77 View Post

It depends from chapter to chapter, but the usual procedure would be for you to contact either the president of the chapter at the university to which you are moving or Chi Omega executive offices and let them know your intention to move and that you would like to affiliate. After making sure that you are in good scholastic, financial, and social standing with your current chapter, the chapter would need to vote to allow you to affiliate. The chapter might invite you to attend chapter or some event with them to get a chance to meet some of the girls before they take the vote to allow you to affiliate (almost like a COB event). If they vote not to let you affiliate, you would still be a Chi Omega, but you would get early alum status. In a big chapter, it is probably not a problem this one girl doesn't like you as long as you are in good standing with your current chapter and she's not president or something. If you had other friends in the chapter that like you and would vouch for you, that would help a lot. They may still vote not to let you affiliate, especially if it might affect who is allowed to live in the chapter residence or if you do not want to live in the house and they need girls to live in house.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Ditto Dr. Phil.

The most accurate answer will come from your HQ.
Yeah I wouldn't ask individual Sorors (because some Sorors and chapters don't go by the book) what to do about things like this and I definitely wouldn't ask members of another GLO. I'd rather go to the source to ensure that the info is 100% accurate and with no confusion.

ETA: This isn't one of those GLO topics that are open to opinions of "what do you think I should do." This is about policies and practices specific to Chi Omega.

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-15-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
It depends from chapter to chapter, but the usual procedure would be for you to contact either the president of the chapter at the university to which you are moving or Chi Omega executive offices and let them know your intention to move and that you would like to affiliate. After making sure that you are in good scholastic, financial, and social standing with your current chapter, the chapter would need to vote to allow you to affiliate. The chapter might invite you to attend chapter or some event with them to get a chance to meet some of the girls before they take the vote to allow you to affiliate (almost like a COB event). If they vote not to let you affiliate, you would still be a Chi Omega, but you would get early alum status. In a big chapter, it is probably not a problem this one girl doesn't like you as long as you are in good standing with your current chapter and she's not president or something. If you had other friends in the chapter that like you and would vouch for you, that would help a lot. They may still vote not to let you affiliate, especially if it might affect who is allowed to live in the chapter residence or if you do not want to live in the house and they need girls to live in house.
Are you a Chi Omega? Do you have intimate knowledge of the Chi Omega affiliation process at all chapters in order to provide details like this on the internet as an authority on Chi Omega?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Are you a Chi Omega? Do you have intimate knowledge of the Chi Omega affiliation process at all chapters in order to provide details like this on the internet as an authority on Chi Omega?
Cosign. Unless you're a member of a sorority, you really don't know what their affiliation procedures are. "Most NPCs do this" is not valid.