GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,568
1 members and 2,567 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
yeah, i got that part lol. i was talking about the dirty rushing and just how bad what they did was.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
yeah, i got that part lol. i was talking about the dirty rushing and just how bad what they did was.
Ah, I don't know what the punishment would be, but talking to a PNM outside of rush and then promising a bid to a PNM in the process is a fairly serious infraction. (Although on some campuses far more "serious" infractions are overlooked) Someone else might be able to give an idea of what the punishment would have been then and now.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

ARUGH! I need more! I love me some retro-drama! (I'm picturing one of the Crepe Myrtles looking just like Jackie from That 70's Show, and you looking like Donna since she's so tall!)

And the mention of infractions has me intrigued. I can't find a thread dedicated to infractions alone... anyone know of one?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
ARUGH! I need more! I love me some retro-drama! (I'm picturing one of the Crepe Myrtles looking just like Jackie from That 70's Show, and you looking like Donna since she's so tall!)

And the mention of infractions has me intrigued. I can't find a thread dedicated to infractions alone... anyone know of one?
No clue, if there isn't we need one!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref night

Drolefille, you summed it up perfectly!

So, Roomie and I had to get ready for our pref parties. I didn't keep a journal during recruitment so many details are hazy, but I recall exactly what my pref dress looked like. I was very proud of it...a georgeous cotton jersey dress with an empire waist and low, round neckline. The sleeves were loose and flowing, and it was in shades of light blue and white...not quite tie-dyed but very pretty. Add cute sandals and simple jewelry. I think I would still like this outfit today (and not cringe at the memory of some of the stuff that we all wore back then).

Pref parties were held in the back yards of prominant local alumnae. Again, we were driven to the parties by alumnae of the party that we were attending. I don't think there was much conversation going on...we were all too nervous.

I went to Dogwood's party first. The garden was lovely, and Dogwood's beautiful flower was featured. The Dogwood president preffed me the whole party. She told me how she could see me as a leader in Dogwood and thought I would be their president in a year. She stressed all of the positives that Dogwood had to offer. I admit, it was quite flattering for my wounded ego. But, I didn't feel anything. Where was that "you'll know where you belong?" Had I missed my chance of feeling that? I left the party with a Dogwood flower, napkin, and a letter from the president(those were the days when you could do such things).

Next I went to Magnolia's party. I did not see Roomie there, so she must have gone to Magnolia first and then finished with Crepe Myrtle. Again, a beautiful back garden with a fountain and white iron lawn furniture placed strategically throughout the large back yard. I recognized a few other rushees that I had met during the week, but did not know any of them very well. I was seated with my first Magnolia and given a cup of punch. I looked at all of the other Magnolias standing around, saw the love in their faces...and click! My broken heart was healed. My rusher (and I well remember who she was) started to talk, saying "I'm so nervous because I really want you to know how much I want you as my sister and I'm searching to find the right words." I looked straight back at her, smiled, and said "You've already said the right words. I want to be a Magnolia." (I am aware that I have used the word "really" too much...but I really, really did want to be a Magnolia). She broke into a smile, and we just talked like old friends. Then they had a beautiful ceremony. My second Magnolia came to talk to me, and had heard what I told my first rusher. She didn't want to take it for granted, so she continued to tell me why I should be a Magnolia (good girl...never give up!). I left the party with a Magnolia flower, napkin, and little white box tied with Magnolia colored ribbon in which was a petit four for us to "make a wish and put it under your pillow for good luck." (I am sure that this is not spelled correctly but am trying to get this out quickly..sorry!).

Back on campus we were repeatedly told not to talk to anyone and led into a room to sign our bid cards. Instructed to rank our #1 followed by our #2 choice, we were also told that if we had multiple choices and only ranked one sorority, there could be dire consequences. I was probably one of the first to fill out and sign my bid card. It read #1 Magnolia #2 Magnolia. Yes, I suicided Magnolia.

As I left the classroom, I turned and looked at Roomie. She was just sitting there staring at her card.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know right? I'm on the edge of my metaphorical seat and I don't even usually read these!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

After pref

Sorry...I had to run to an alumnae group meeting tonight...where we wrote recs for local girls going throuh recruitment!

I will wrap this up now. I did not mean for it to be strung along for over a week!

So, I went back to the dorm to wait for Roomie. It seemed like about an hour before she came back. When she came into the room, she looked absolutely spent. I looked at her and said "I suicided Magnolia, and I am so happy." She looked relieved. And then she told me that she could not bring herself to sign a bid card and turned it in empty.

Roomie said that she enjoyed the Magnolia party and then went to Crepe Myrtle. She said that she spent the entire party telling the girls who came to speak to her that she thought that what they did to me was so terrible that she was torn about even joining a sorority. I can't imagine how an 18 year old girl summoned up the courage to do that, because we had only been friends for a short time. I was very touched.

We talked into the night. I knew her heart was with Crepe Myrtle, and told her that even though I appreciated her loyalty, that she needed to do what was right for her, and not to worry about me. I was very happy with my choice and felt that in the end, I had found the right home for me. She needed to do the same.

The next morning we were told to stay in our rooms at a certain time. Sure enough, an envelope with my name was slid under our door. Of course, it contained my bid to Magnolia! Roomie wished me well and off I ran to Bid Day. After I returned, Roomie told me that Crepe Myrtle had called her to tell her that they wanted to offer her a COB bid. I was so happy for her!

Crepe Myrtle was the only group that made quota that year, but could still give out 2 COB. One went to In-House Legacy (who had dropped out of rush) and the other went to Roomie. Both Magnolia and Dogwood got busy and pledged great girls through COB. Our dorm room was evenly matched with Magnolia and Crepe Myrtle memrobelia.

After fall semester, Roomie moved into the dorm where Crepe Myrtle's chapter room and most of its members lived. My dorm room adjoined the dorm next to Magnolia's chapter room. One of my COB sisters, Rose (because she would become KA Rose the following year) moved in with me. I was a biology major and pretty outgoing. She was an English major who was very cute but quiet...and I think other Magnolias were worried that we were a mismatch. But Rose and I roomed together for the rest of my college days and got along fabulously.

Two years later, I was Magnolia's rush chairman and promptly got rid of the 50's skit. Roomie was Crepe Myrtle's vice-president. Three years later, Roomie was Crepe Myrtle's president and Rose was the Magnolia president. I was starting medical school. I ended up graduating in 3 years because I had gotten into medical school as an early decision candidate (much to my surprise).

After medical school and residency, I moved to College Town where I still live. It has a Magnolia chapter, so over the past 20+ years I have enjoyed being a chapter adviser and active alumnae member. I have also served in several national and area officer positions. My SPU college years were wonderful, but my best Magnolia friends and memories are as an alumna!

And finally the big reveal. When I opened up that bid card 35 years ago it invited me to be a member of...

PHI MU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogwood was Kappa Delta. At one of our Phi Mu conventions the KD national president was a featured speaker and she was awesome!

Crepe Myrtle was Delta Delta Delta. Some of my good friends are Tri Deltas..but to this day I will not plant pansies in my yard.

Looking back, I would have been happy and productive in any of the 3 sororities at SPU. I now realize that each sorority has similar values and offers opportunities for leadership and growth.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by ladybug12; 06-22-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Belated congratulations for your bid

And awesome story, thanks so much!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

great story, and congrats to Phi Mu!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I loved reading your story, especially since I could relate to how rush worked at the time, the dirty rushing, and all. I especially loved this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
My SPU college years were wonderful, but my best Magnolia friends and memories are as an alumna!

I have said this again and again. Of my friends who went to college, they are almost all Greeks, and most are sisters. It's not four years, it's a lifetime!

Congratulations, fellow Macon Magnolia !

Last edited by honeychile; 06-23-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I know right? I'm on the edge of my metaphorical seat and I don't even usually read these!
i was too! i opened the thread intending to skim and got sucked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Some of my good friends are Tri Deltas..but to this day I will not plant pansies in my yard.
LOL! this was an awesome thread. now, you need to go and handle that burberry chick that is surely perping your sorority.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
now, you need to go and handle that burberry chick that is surely perping your sorority.
If not perping, representing Phi Mu in a horrible way.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
If not perping, representing Phi Mu in a horrible way.
We're all hoping it's the former, I think.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I'm so glad to read a story with an amazing Phi Mu ending. I was hoping Magnolia would be Phi Mu because it sounded so much like my own chapter! Faithful sisters until the end.