GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,181
2 members and 1,179 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Recs

I put her in contact with the closet Pan Association. I've never had anyone ask me for other recs, I thought if I came here people would point me in the right direction for her.

I understand that her school doesn't have a very competitive rush, but because of her major (AT) and the traveling her rushing has not been well accepted from what she has told me. I think she would make a good addition to any chapter which is why I reached out here.

Last edited by alphalove13; 09-02-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: information
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalove13 View Post
Hi Ladies, I know a darling young lady going through recruitment at a smaller Florida college at the end of the month. She has a rec for AOII, but I am trying to find her recs from any alumna from the following sororities: Kappa Delta, Alpha Chi Omega and Gamma Phi Beta. She is a junior transfer after getting her AA from a community college. I know she would make a great addition to any chapter at her school. Please message me for details.

--- Also, ZTA and ADII
I think this is the first time I've seen alums publicly soliciting rec help on GC. I know regulars have used their GC networks to get rec help for their hometown girls, but this one's a first.

Even if my organization was listed in your post I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting my name on a rec for a girl I don't even know just because you say she'd make a great addition.

Is there a local Panhellenic assocation near you?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

There are, according to NPCwomen.org, 19 alumnae panhellenics in Florida. There is most certainly one near you.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 AM
GreekChat Member

KD has a HUGE presence in Florida, - 8 chapters and a number of active alumnae associations. Methinks someone isn't trying very hard to do the work themselves, especially if they have someone soliciting recs from strangers on a message board for them. That right there doesn't give me a favorable impression of the individual.

You say she's rushing at a small Florida college and then go on to list FIVE sororities that she needs recs for? I don't have enough time right now to figure out what school you're talking about (it would be easy enough to do), but five is probably a majority of the chapters there.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

It took me about 5 seconds to find it. I'll go ahead and leave the school and city off:

September 21-25, 2011 Recruitment for upperclasswomen (January 2012 Formal Recruitment for Freshmen)
Quota=
Campus Total=43
Quota last year=

With a system like this (and total being what it is) are recs really required or are you assuming they are based on some other Florida schools?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Once I had a few seconds to look, yep, very easy to tell what school. So basically she has a rec for one sorority, but none of the other ones. This isn't like it's a school with 18 sororities and she has recs for 13 of the 18 and is looking for 5. This is looking for recs for every sorority there. Not cool to do this this way at all, particularly because you've given more than enough information to make this young woman easily identifiable.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

According to the NPC website, there is an alumnae panhellenic in the same city that the college is located in. Check this link:

http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx

to see if there is an alumnae panhellenic near where you live. i don't believe it is vital for your pnm to have recs., but it certainly won't hurt and may get her a second look.

it is sweet of you to try and help her find recs.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry FSUZeta. I rarely disagree with you, but I find her request more passive-aggressive than helpful. We say on here ALL THE TIME that the rushees should be doing the work themselves. All of the information above was found with almost no effort by the GC'ers. If the rushee couldn't figure it out on her own THAT'S where the alumna in her life could have provided support - by providing resources not answers.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Sorry FSUZeta. I rarely disagree with you, but I find her request more passive-aggressive than helpful.
Excuse me, DS, here's a definition from a medical dictionary:

"passive-aggressive behavior:apparently compliant behavior, with intrinsic obstructive or stubborn qualities, to cover deeply felt aggressive feelings that cannot be more directly expressed."

Not sure what you were thinking of, but posting on a public board requesting recommendations from strangers on behalf of another person isn't passive-aggressive at all. Quite the contrary.

Unless, of course, you know the OP and the PNM and you know that the OP *hates* the PNM and is trying to sabotage her recruitment. In that case, coming here and posting identifying information about the PNM and requesting assistance with recs knowing that it would possibly out the PNM and possibly affect her recruitment would be passive-aggressive!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Point taken. Overly mothering maybe? Heli-friend?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Well-intentioned but not well thought out? I'm going to go with the kindest interpretation - OP wants to help, was unsure how, and came here.

Please get her to register with the closest alumnae panhellenic. She has time to get everything in order this semester.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM

This poster's posts are hella confusing.