GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,356
1 members and 1,355 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone going through Fall Recruitment 2007?

Hi everyone! I am going through Formal Recruitment in the fall and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips? I am VERY NERVOUS about doing this. I didn't go through recritment my freshman year because all I had heard about sororities were the stereotypes. I got to college and saw that only a few of those are true! I went through spring recruitment(which is only one night, and only five out of 13 sororities did it) and didn't receive a bid. Is it wise for me to go through formal recruitment? I just would like to know things on what to say/what not to say. Also, do recommendations really help? Any hints you all could give me would be grand!! Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

hi ut girl. welcome to greekchat.there are a lot of great recruitment tip threads already on greekchat. there are a few "stickies" at the top of the recruitment forum that will be helpful to you. in addition, do a search and you'll probably find more info. on formal recruitment than you could ever imagine-you might even find some for your specific campus.

i wouldn't let the fact that spring recruitment did not work out for you stop you from giving fall formal recruitment a try. there might have just been a few spots open in each of the 5 sororities that participated in spring recruitment and they might have been looking for more specific attributes in their pnms.

understand that your choices might be more limited your sophomore year than they would have been had you rushed fall your freshman year, but don't let that stop you.

definately secure recommendations to as many of the sororities as you can. and be sure to check out the rush threads. good luck and be sure to post your rush thread in the fall!!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I really need to hear that kind of positive talk!! My friends do not expect me to go through with it and really, I want to prove them wrong! That is not the only reason I am doing it though!!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta gave some good advice.

I don't know which UT you're posting from, so its hard to give specific advice. If you're at one of the UTs that has a very competitive Greek system, as FSUZeta mentioned you'll want to secure recommendations.

I wouldn't necessarily let your Spring recruitment experience stop you from going through Fall formal recruitment. After all, only 5 out of 13 chapters participated - you may find that you have a home in one of the other 8 chapters. However, it would be wise to reflect upon what might have "went wrong" with your Spring recruitment. Is your GPA competitive? If recommendations were recommended for Spring recruitment, did you neglect to obtain any? (Its entirely possible that what "went wrong" had nothing to do with you personally, as FSUZeta mentioned each chapter may have had a very limited number of spots available. However, its still worth your time to consider things that you might be able to do differently to have a better experience in the Fall.)
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am rushing in the fall as well. I am a transfer junior though so I am not too sure how this is going to affect me getting a bid. My new school apparently has informal recruitment in the fall and not every chapter participates.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rushing this fall too. I can't wait! Swing through the Recruitment Stories forum and get yourself added to "The List".
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
If y'all are so inclined, have your name added to this list
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis_katie View Post
I am rushing in the fall as well. I am a transfer junior though so I am not too sure how this is going to affect me getting a bid.
I'm going the same boat!! Hope everything works out great for both of us!!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
I most likely will be rushing this coming fall...provided that my parents are okay with it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
I most likely will be rushing this coming fall...provided that my parents are okay with it.
yeah im hoping mine have a 360 turn on them wanting me to rush...a girl can dream Whether or not they are ok with, i am going to do it anyway. I know they will stand behind me because they know how much i want it regardless if they agree with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagirl View Post
yeah im hoping mine have a 360 turn on them wanting me to rush...a girl can dream Whether or not they are ok with, i am going to do it anyway. I know they will stand behind me because they know how much i want it regardless if they agree with it.
Yeah, I made the decision to go through rush earler this year...no matter what, I plan to go through with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going through recruitment, too. I have most of the clothes for recruitment.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether you're talking about Tennessee or Texas, you'll need recs. Start getting them now. When chapters do informal (at schools like these), they generally need only a few members, and often, they have some idea of who they want, ie. a good friend of one of their actives who just pledged. It might not be anything personally wrong with you that you didn't get a bid. As a sophomore, you'll get cut by some chapters right off the bat, but it's not impossible to get a bid if you are a good candidate otherwise and keep an open mind.