GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,100
1 members and 1,099 guests
Low D Flat

Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a Question

My daughter has just finished her second round of rush and has preference on Friday night. Her school process is 11-7-3. Yesterday during her second day she really liked two houses. At one, she said that the same girl "rushed" her as the first day and they chatted the whole time. At her second favorite she said that she really connected with the girl who rushed her and they were together the whole time. I am wondering if it is a positive or negative that they spoke for so long. Is it a problem that she is not meeting other girls?

Thanks for your info.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
it is good that she had good conversations, but yes, she should meet more sisters at the house. She can do something like "I'd really like to know more about your philanthropy/community involvement, etc. Can you introduce me to the Philanthropy Chair / Scholarship Chair, etc."?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

That is hard for us to determine since we are not able to know what the situation is at that particular school or what goes on at that particular chapter.

In general, it is a good thing to have a good conversation with whomever a pnm speaks with. Sure, it is nice to meet others, but that might not be the technique that particular house uses to recruit girls at this stage of recruitment. Just encourage her to be a good conversationalist and not overthink the situation. And, like we always say here on GC, encourage her to keep her options open and consider every house she is invited to.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camom View Post
My daughter has just finished her second round of rush and has preference on Friday night. Her school process is 11-7-3. Yesterday during her second day she really liked two houses. At one, she said that the same girl "rushed" her as the first day and they chatted the whole time. At her second favorite she said that she really connected with the girl who rushed her and they were together the whole time. I am wondering if it is a positive or negative that they spoke for so long. Is it a problem that she is not meeting other girls?

Thanks for your info.
The quick answer is NO, it is not a problem. You and your daughter will drive yourselves nuts if you try to second guess what every member in each house is trying to do or what they are thinking. Recruitment practices can vary from chapter to chapter so having spoken to 5 members at one house and just 1-2 at another house does not necessarily indicate a positive or negative from the chapter's perspective. Encourage your daughter to learn as much about the different organizations as possible and figure out where she may feel most comfortable. If your daughter is extended a bid, then she can meet and get to know everyone in the house.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much. She had pref tonight and went to three parties,her 2,3, and 4 choices. She realized that her #1 was probably not really for her, despite her disappointment. If she ranks all three, what are the chances of getting a bid from one? She was crying tonight as she could not decide how to rank them. I thought that was a good sign.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

CA mom- it depends upon the school and how recruitment is done. if she had three choices chances are good that she will get one of her choices. Some schools have something called guaranteed bidding where if a PNM has gone through and attended all parties they are guaranteed a bid. However, not all schools do have this, please know the goal is to place /match as many women as possible during recruitment.

A suggestion would be for your daughter to speak with her Rho chi (recruitment counselor) about her concerns because she will be best equipped to respond based upon the schools'/panhellenic guidelines. Again, please remember the goal is to place as many women as possible.

Best wishes to your daughter, I look forward to hearing where she pledges! Please let us know.

with smiles
Merry

GPhiB
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
With three sororities she liked at the end, it sounds like she had a good chance to end up in the right one for her! Let us know what happens... (My alma mater had that party breakdown. I'm wondering if that's where she's at!)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

She is very happy to have received a bid from Tri Delt. This was her first choice after pref. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your daughter and Tri Delt!

GPhiB
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I'm happy for her!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I'm happy for her!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you, your daughter, and Tri Delta.