GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Damn straight.

And even though we're not talking "a major moral obligation like child abuse"* - where does it start at an institution with people thinking they can get away with things? We ripped the hell out of the 20 year old guy who bought the Rho Chi shirt for his cousin at Buttface U with his IFC money from Babbleboob U.

If this woman had left out that she got a degree from Bob Jones University but "that isn't who she is anymore" - would that be OK?

*As we all know, comparing someone to Hitler/calling them a Nazi is known as Godwining the thread. What shall we call this sort of statement? Sandusking?
Since GC NPCers are quick to tell usernames that they cannot join one NPC sorority and then join another NPC sorority/

I am pretty sure most of these GCers would advocate submitting an inquiry to a NHQ if this new Dean claimed to be an initiate of 2 NPC sororities. Those GCers may not recommend a student be the one doing the investigating but they may be in favor of an anonymous (and relatively effortless) membership verification and/or report to an NHQ--or recommending the student hand the task to a nonstudent NPCer. Perhaps those GCers would not believe an NPCer who claims she was given permission to be initiated in 2 NPC sororities 10 years ago. Perhaps those GCers would also grasp why this dishonesty (on the Dean's part) or inconsistency (on the NPC sorority's part if the Dean is telling the truth) may contrast on both a personal and professional level with the Dean's roles at the institution.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 PM

I'm just amused at everyone who is FAR past school age who is treating "10 years ago" like it's "100 years ago." Of course, someone who notably isn't is the OP, who as a collegian, has more of a natural inclination than anyone else to do so.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

1) It hasn't been shown that this behavior actually broke a rule; and

2) OP is still not the dual membership police. Her duty is to her student body and her own organization, maybe NPC, but most likely not to an NPHC group or anyone else.

I could ask whether you're high for continuing to post here, but I don't do that sort of thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I could ask whether you're high for continuing to post here, but I don't do that sort of thing.
Clearly you do. If 33girl responds a certain way will you pretend she is "not classy" or simply missed your joke?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Since GC NPCers are quick to tell usernames that they cannot join one NPC sorority and then join another NPC sorority/

I am pretty sure most of these GCers would advocate submitting an inquiry to a NHQ if this new Dean claimed to be an initiate of 2 NPC sororities. Those GCers may not recommend a student be the one doing the investigating but they may be in favor of an anonymous (and relatively effortless) membership verification and/or report to an NHQ--or recommending the student hand the task to a nonstudent NPCer. Perhaps those GCers would not believe an NPCer who claims she was given permission to be initiated in 2 NPC sororities 10 years ago. Perhaps those GCers would also grasp why this dishonesty (on the Dean's part) or inconsistency (on the NPC sorority's part if the Dean is telling the truth) may contrast on both a personal and professional level with the Dean's roles at the institution.
*applause*

and

I want to know what sorority she's in.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

First World Problems.

I've missed you, GC.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Banned

Yikes. People still use archaic phrases like "First World."
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

....know your memes.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/first-world-problems
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Would it be a bad option for the OP to register her concerns (since she has no hard proof and to go after some is very tricky as stated earlier) with a 'higher up' within her university. That way, she has expressed her concern and explained the potential repercussions this may have for her university/campus in a decisive way.

I still believe her duty and obligation is to her university first. That is the role she was serving when they hired her. And let's remember, she brought up her concerns about this lady's dual membership at the time and was pooh poohed.

So, why not take it a step further but one that lets her soothe her ethical feathers and also closes the door as far as her obligations. If there is ever a problem with the dean, and they turn around and start looking for people to blame, the OP has Covered Her A**.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Would it be a bad option for the OP to register her concerns (since she has no hard proof and to go after some is very tricky as stated earlier) with a 'higher up' within her university. That way, she has expressed her concern and explained the potential repercussions this may have for her university/campus in a decisive way.

I still believe her duty and obligation is to her university first. That is the role she was serving when they hired her. And let's remember, she brought up her concerns about this lady's dual membership at the time and was pooh poohed.

So, why not take it a step further but one that lets her soothe her ethical feathers and also closes the door as far as her obligations. If there is ever a problem with the dean, and they turn around and start looking for people to blame, the OP has Covered Her A**.

To the red bold: Then let it die. She should not take it any further!

Obviously the school does not care. At this point, for the OP to push this further when it is obviously not an issue for the school can only hurt the OP, and not the Dean.

It seems that enough people know about it and are not pursuing the issue. The OP should take a hint and back away from the issue.

When she brought up her concern and it was not taken any further, then the OP carried out her moral duty. The OP did all she could, and should, do.

Like I said, the OP does not know who the Dean knows, and who knows the Dean, that allowed the Dean to get the job. It may seem as if the OP is going after the Dean, but I can assure you that in that line of fire there are more school admins who will be hit.

Also, as much as we honor and respect our greek membership, and as much as it is important to us, as far as a College / University is concerned, other than RM issues, Greek Life is not high on the priority list. A College/University can completely eliminate Greek Life and the school will still operate.

Yes, this Dean is "guilty" of dual NPC-NPHC membership, but that is not going to have any impact on the University obtaining funding. And from the University's perspective obtaining funding is really all that matters. So, since this dual membership has no impact on the University obtaining funding it is really a dead issue as far as the school is concerned.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Exactly. One of many memes that some people consider outdated and offensive.

/I know that poster did not mean it that way but there are different audiences.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree, SigmaDiva ! My post was an attempt to pacify the supporters of both sides of the issue.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I totally agree, SigmaDiva ! My post was an attempt to pacify the supporters of both sides of the issue.
Oh, okay!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Question Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yikes. People still use archaic phrases like "First World."
I'm not sure I understand why you find the phrase archaic. We learned about first world vs developing nations / 2nd world vs third world in one of my economics classes. I've never thought of it as outdated or possibly offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you find the phrase archaic.
There are people and subdisciplines around the world who consider it outdated and derogatory. Such classifications are highly correlated with culture, race, ethnicity, and socioeconomics. The (predominantly white) people from the "First World" tend not to be the ones offended. Tell people from poorer and uncoincidentally darker shaded countries that they are "Third World" and some people do not care what you intended to convey regarding economists, capitalism, industrialism, etc.