GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,271
3 members and 2,268 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Duke: Controversial Party Invitation (Sigma Nu and Alpha Delta Phi)

Another controversy, another apology (from Duke's Sigma Nu chapter this time).

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...-gender-issues

Some commentary about the incident(s) is at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...=news/national

Last edited by exlurker; 11-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Hmm...

Ignorant email aside, enough with the apologies already. You don't regret what you did and that you emailed it to 300 women. You regret that you are being called out for it. Apologizing is essentially saying "fuck off."
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

And they probably had plenty of girls dressed up as slutty this and thats at the party. Guess they weren't too offended to go. This outrage thing is often overplayed.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And they probably had plenty of girls dressed up as slutty this and thats at the party. Guess they weren't too offended to go. This outrage thing is often overplayed.
Could be; one of the news stories had a comment from a Panhellenic officer saying women get these kinds of invitations, but they still go. Hmmmmm.

ETA:
"Women get invitations that call them sluts and hos . . . and they still go to the parties," Panhellenic Association President Bogna Brzezinska said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz14GEKRdhY

Last edited by exlurker; 11-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

So, you don't know whether women came dressed as slutty anything.

Either way, it doesn't matter that some fools fall for this stuff.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Could be; one of the news stories had a comment from a Panhellenic officer saying women get these kinds of invitations, but they still go. Hmmmmm.

ETA:
"Women get invitations that call them sluts and hos . . . and they still go to the parties," Panhellenic Association President Bogna Brzezinska said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz14GEKRdhY
Exactly, if women still go to the parties, men will still have them. I'm not a fan of these themes, so I've never been to a party where my expectation or role is that of a hoe or slut. Am I getting a good eye roll when these pop up and a neck work out from shaking my head? I sure am, however I can't make other women and men see or feel what I do so my option is to not go and let adults make their own choice then mock them later for being dumb when it is made public and they are associated with this.

ETA: I went to one party that had a seXXXy theme but went with other sorority women and we were fully clothed. Two of the women were making an appearance to have a photo with their boyfriends who were fully clothed, and a member invited me as a friend so there were hysterical pictures of us fully clothed with men and women in lingerie and sleepwear all around us. We picked up our party favors and went to a bar since we were all of age. I sadly don't have any copies of those photos but maybe they will surface one day and people can be confused by the juxtaposition of a party in December containing people in North Face fleece and Frederick's of Hollywood in the background.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 11-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, casual sexism is ingrained in our culture so we should just accept it and get back in the kitchen in our slutty outfits.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Yes, casual sexism is ingrained in our culture so we should just accept it and get back in the kitchen in our slutty outfits.
If you want to be in the kitchen in your slutty outfit, that's your business. Jesus Christ. Women dress as slutty this and thats for Halloween. How is this so different from asking folks to dress as vampires and mummies? It's mildly clever, aimed at a certain target audience, i.e., girls who dress as slutty whatevers for Halloween. If you want to waste your energy and be offended, awesome. They were targeting girls only on those invites, so yeah, I guess that's sexism.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you want to be in the kitchen in your slutty outfit, that's your business. Jesus Christ. Women dress as slutty this and thats for Halloween. How is this so different from asking folks to dress as vampires and mummies? It's mildly clever, aimed at a certain target audience, i.e., girls who dress as slutty whatevers for Halloween. If you want to waste your energy and be offended, awesome. They were targeting girls only on those invites, so yeah, I guess that's sexism.
It was sexism and it's nice that you can hardly manage to be offended over something that doesn't actually affect you at all as a male. I'm sure you have some key understanding that we're lacking.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

I went to college parties barely dressed, but they were called "Bare as you Dare" and "Debauchery" -- both men and women were encouraged not to wear very much. I've got no problem with overt sexuality in college, but why not make it a two-way street? It's much more fun that way.
________
buy condo Pattaya

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Rough month for Sigma Nu and Alpha Delta Phi at Duke. First, they're both talked about in The List, now this.

Should I confess my schadenfreude that this all at Duke?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Should I confess my schadenfreude that this all at Duke?
If my Pastor can pretend that we all wore red for NC State last Sunday (Reformation and The Lutheran National Anthem [Mighty Fortress] were just a coincidence ), this too shall be forgiven.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

A few observations about this article (probably insensitive, but screw it):
1. What kind of Fraternity sends e-mails as invitations. What happened to talking to girls in person or even calling them to tell them about the party?

2. Duke would be one of few schools in the south where you would get that kind range of last names of those quoted in an article about greek life. On my campus, that article could have been about the multi-cultural club and still had more joneses and smiths. I guess that's the thing about being a private school. (Not saying that it is a bad thing, just an interesting contrast from, say, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, USC, Texas etc.)

3. Also on the private school thing: is the overwhelming liberal culture what fuels this sensitivity? The deal with Sigma Nu at Emory and now with the snakes at Duke. Why does everyone care what goes on with a private organization?

I don't mean these to offend, I am just shocked by the difference from what I am used to.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
A few observations about this article (probably insensitive, but screw it):
1. What kind of Fraternity sends e-mails as invitations. What happened to talking to girls in person or even calling them to tell them about the party?

2. Duke would be one of few schools in the south where you would get that kind range of last names of those quoted in an article about greek life. On my campus, that article could have been about the multi-cultural club and still had more joneses and smiths. I guess that's the thing about being a private school. (Not saying that it is a bad thing, just an interesting contrast from, say, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, USC, Texas etc.)

3. Also on the private school thing: is the overwhelming liberal culture what fuels this sensitivity? The deal with Sigma Nu at Emory and now with the snakes at Duke. Why does everyone care what goes on with a private organization?

I don't mean these to offend, I am just shocked by the difference from what I am used to.
No one would care if it wasn't made public, because then no one would know about it. Nothing to do with sensitive liberals and a lot to do with people keeping the activities and behaviors of private organizations private if they don't want commentary. Sending an email is not a way to keep things private as the forward button is so easy to find, and people at Duke should have learned that lesson from Karen Owens. I am well aware people have all kinds of thoughts and ideas, and I'm more shocked by how dumb and open people are than what they are doing. I did all kinds of dumb stuff but I didn't get caught or make it public, and that's really the core of this, don't put it all out there if you don't want to deal with repercussions, commentary, or criticism.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
“Thinking we should make that fence down south a little taller?” the message asked. “Pissed about a certain group of easterners f—ing up the curve in Econ 51?... Well it’s time to get over your fears and join the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha for a truly unique tour of the world.”
ahahaha

Pike got much better in my book.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 11-08-2010 at 10:10 PM.