GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,342
4 members and 2,338 guests
naraht, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Woman, 19, reports rape at UW fraternity

Eastside woman, 19, reports rape at UW fraternity

Seattle police are investigating the reported rape of a woman inside a University of Washington fraternity house over the weekend

The woman, a 19-year-old Eastside resident, went to a party with a friend Friday night at a fraternity house in the 4700 block of 17th Avenue Northeast.

The woman said she was leaving a bathroom around 1 a.m. Saturday when she was met by two men she didn't know. She said they took her to another room, where the alleged attack occurred, according to a Seattle police report.

Afterward, the woman's friend took her to a hospital, where they were interviewed by police. Detectives have been assigned to the case, Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel said Monday

(More at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...uwrape10m.html)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There have been no arrests. Police did not release the name of the fraternity where the party took place, and did not say whether the suspects are members.
Just thinking out loud, but if they were NOT in a GLO, then wouldn't it be worth it to say so to prevent more extensive rumors from being generated?

Quote:
Fraternity and sorority members are expected to attend an annual training session, of one hour or more, on sexual-assault prevention and relationship-violence issues...
That's an admirable requirement. Our University doesn't do anything remotely close.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUJacob View Post
That's an admirable requirement. Our University doesn't do anything remotely close.
My university requires attendance to one of these seminars once a semester. In addition, several of the organizations (mostly NPHC and NALFO/MGC) host seminars throughout the semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the article
The UW's Panhellenic Association had few details on the incident and is awaiting the police inquiry before deciding how to respond, said adviser Cori Hammock.
Why would Panhellenic need to get involved?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

^ I had the same question regarding the Panhellenic Association's involvement. I would assume because it involves a female student and they will likely have the means to provide programming to further educate their members.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Makes sense. I thought it was because the victim was a member of one of the NPCs.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just thinking out loud, but if they were NOT in a GLO, then wouldn't it be worth it to say so to prevent more extensive rumors from being generated?
My guess is that the police didn't know yet whether the two men were members. It sounds like the victim is perhaps not a UW student and therefore she wouldn't know if they were members of the fraternity.

From the address/location described in the article, it's not hard for anyone familiar with the greek system map to narrow this down to just a couple of possible fraternities. I'm not sure what the point was of leaving out the details of the location of the attack...the Times could have just printed that it was not known if the attackers were fraternity members.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like a whole bunch of stuff is going on around "Fraternity Row"...

Kids getting raped, robbed and mugged... IDK what is going to happen?

It is all fun and games until one is "strapped"... Seriously...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^ I had the same question regarding the Panhellenic Association's involvement. I would assume because it involves a female student and they will likely have the means to provide programming to further educate their members.
The current Panhellenic advisor is also the interim IFC advisor, so it's possible that while the article only lists her as associated with the CPH, she is waiting to repond as the joint advisor, not just the Panhellenic advisor (if that makes any sense).

But yes, I would assume she would also want to alert the sororities and make sure they all know to keep safe. It is unfortunate that so many crimes seem to be happening in the UW Greek System. In response, the Seattle PD are going to boost patrol of the neighborhood, according to this article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/399443_bike10.html. Not sure how much this will help, but something's better than nothing.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of the crimes on the blocks of greek housing at UW have nothing to do with the greeks. It is an easy place for thugs to hide, with all the trees and bushes along the sidewalks, and the general lack of lighting. Increasingly I do not like to park and walk along those streets at night, and unfortunately since there is NOT enough parking, one must often walk quite a ways to get to/from their car. I wish the Seattle PD would work with the entire neighborhood to install better lighting and encourage trimming back brush that might be a convenient place for people to hide.

But anyway, I don't regularly read of violent crime in the UW fraternities and sororities, which is why this story was newsworthy, I think.