GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,027
3 members and 1,024 guests
baadamashtolzea, indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Gifts for Sister Abroad

Hi everyone! My chapter has a lot of girls who go abroad each semester (so much so that I am serving as Study Abroad chair), and we're doing our best to make them feel loved and involved while they're abroad.

However, we also wanted to do something to welcome them back - we already have plans for a brunch, but I wanted to be able to give them something on their return. Last semester the chapter decorated pillows for them, but I was hoping to do something a little different. I'm trying to keep the costs low, while still giving a meaningful gift to each sister. Do any of you do something similar/have any ideas you could lend?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea&krumpets View Post
Hi everyone! My chapter has a lot of girls who go abroad each semester (so much so that I am serving as Study Abroad chair), and we're doing our best to make them feel loved and involved while they're abroad.

However, we also wanted to do something to welcome them back - we already have plans for a brunch, but I wanted to be able to give them something on their return. Last semester the chapter decorated pillows for them, but I was hoping to do something a little different. I'm trying to keep the costs low, while still giving a meaningful gift to each sister. Do any of you do something similar/have any ideas you could lend?
I really like the pillow idea from last year. They are coming home to sleep again in their own beds!

Otherwise, the gifts might have a theme such as Welcome Back to the USA. Give gifts based upon baseball/hot dogs/apple pie/the US flag.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I like all the above ideas.... maybe a "here's what you missed" letter that talks about what went on in chapter and on campus that they might find interesting.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you live somewhere that sells the flag pins that have the American flag and another country's flag on them? You could maybe give one of those pinned to a pillowcase (LOVE that idea). And I love the "here's what you missed" as well, maybe that can include a brief intro of new members too depending on chapter size.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
When I got back from my term abroad, all I wanted was real pizza. I suppose it depends where they are, but is there anything in particular you think they'd have really missed?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by ColdInCanada11; 11-13-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spammer is gone!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, guys! I'm actually already working on a "here's what you missed" newsletter, so excellent call on that

As far as the welcome back gifts...I decided I'd do the pillows, but NONE of the craft stores near me (Michael's, etc.) carried the pillows/pillowcases I needed in the right quantities, and ordering them from anywhere online (Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Target, etc.) would either take too long or cost far too much money.

I've come up with a few other ideas, but I would love some feedback on them, if y'all don't mind!

Idea #1: Buy a teddy bear for each girl, and an infant t-shirt for the bear to wear that can be decorated in much the same way (though on a smaller scale) as the pillows would have been. The only issue is this could get pretty expensive too.

Idea #2: Compile a small welcome back gift basket. I'm at a bit of a loss for things to include, however. I figured crafting picture frames would be cute, as well as maybe a small stuffed animal, but this is where I would really love the input of you wonderful ladies!

Let me know what you all think Thanks a ton!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Idea #2: Compile a small welcome back gift basket. I'm at a bit of a loss for things to include, however.
Peanut butter and Jelly, an ice cube tray, fabric softener, and change for the parking meter.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As far as the welcome back gifts...I decided I'd do the pillows, but NONE of the craft stores near me (Michael's, etc.) carried the pillows/pillowcases I needed in the right quantities, and ordering them from anywhere online (Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Target, etc.) would either take too long or cost far too much money.
Is there an IKEA near you? We did blankets instead of pillows/pillowcases and the IKEA ones we used were cheap enough, available in bulk and in a fabric that allowed for printing/writing on and was easily washable without looking cheap.
We wrote little messages on the blankets for the ones about to go abroad so they could take a little bit of home with them.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I live abroad now, so I can vouch that I miss peanut butter, real hamburgers, Reese's PB Cups, Starbucks and cheddar cheese. Other popular American foods that are special ordered are Kraft Mac & Cheese, Cheetos and Doritos.

I like the suggestion for quarters - when you haven't used a currency in a while, you tend not to have small change.

Maybe a quintessential U.S. magazine subscription? I use MagazinesUSA.com (check out their bundles - I'm currently subscribed to The Atlantic, Entrepreneur and Inc. for $10 for the year) and MagazinePriceSearch.com to get cheap subscriptions.

Maybe gift cards or vouchers for popular local eateries (if this were Los Angeles, a gift certificate to In-N-Out would be a hit), Starbucks, etc.

Have you asked the girls who came back last year what they really craved when they got home?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I like the suggestion for quarters - when you haven't used a currency in a while, you tend not to have small change.
I was actually thinking about how happy I was to come back to my car, but this is another good point!

I googled "what Americans miss while living abroad" and almost all of the responses are food-related, but Bath & Body Works somehow appears on a few lists.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure it's just me, but why do they require gifts? I'm not a fan of this relentless need for STUFF. What they will have missed most is their family and friends. Have a party, serve some of the above mentioned American food, sing sorority songs and reconnect.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I'm sure it's just me, but why do they require gifts? I'm not a fan of this relentless need for STUFF. What they will have missed most is their family and friends. Have a party, serve some of the above mentioned American food, sing sorority songs and reconnect.
Great post.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis - We actually are having a welcome back dinner, so the idea is not that they have to have a lot of STUFF, but just one meaningful gift to show how much we missed them.

As to all who suggested food items specific to the U.S. - I guess I should have mentioned that most of our “abroad” girls are actually interning in other parts of the U.S., though we do have a few who are actually out of the country! I will definitely keep those suggestions in mind though

Thanks again for your input, ladies, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the most meaningful gifts would be letters from sisters that express how much the abroad sisters have been missed. My chapter sent these out so they would be received while the sisters were abroad.

Just a thought for future semesters.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee