GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,720
1 members and 1,719 guests
Overthinker

Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice
And she topped it off by telling him that she had actually planned to break things off before her trip to Florida but then got too busy with things and forgot to call him until she got home.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
You all are going to hate me for posting this but... I'd rather someone break up via email in some ways. You have some time to let it sink in and compose yourself before communicating with them. Or, you can just never communicate with them again. I had one idiot allow me to take him out to dinner for his birthday, give him a gift (which he kept!), and then tell me when we got home that he was going back to an ex-girlfriend. I would have rather he'd done it in email, BEFORE I spent all that money on him. Email prevents some drawn out, overemotional and unnecessary discussion about what went wrong. My first college boyfriend broke up with me repeatedly (before I had a backbone). Each time, he would sit me on his lap and tell me we needed to talk and then tell me that he wanted to see other people. WTF? Why sit me on your lap? So I can't kick you in the nads???? Email didn't exist back then, but that would've been a better way in that case too!

Post It.. now that's rude.

Dee
I kinda see where you're coming from. I know we all handle bad news differently, but I wonder...do any of y'all have these symptoms when you you hear something you DON'T want to hear?

1) your spine tingles to the point that it hurts and back muscles lock in place

2) you feel like your eyeballs will jump out of your skull (even though you probably don't look surprised!)

3) you're paralyzed for a second and have to process the information before you can move

4) for a minute that moment you heard the information keeps playing over and over and over in your head

5) and then you end up crying

That's pretty much the way my body handles the news. I've found that it's a bit worse when I read something bad because it shocks me a lot more. At least when you're talking in person, you have some warning signs that bad news is a-coming (e.g. the person gets all shifty and uncomfortable.)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

preciousjeni...I think my response to bad news is very very similar to yours except then after I cry I get very very angry...haha.

I have a story that's actually worse than the e-mail breakup or phone breakup. My sister's best friend was dating a guy for 4 years, they were talking marriage and everything was fine (according to her). One day he just STOPPED CALLING HER. She called him (obviously) and he asked her to please stop calling him and be mature because it was obvious the relationship was over. Um...really? Was it? He never broke up with her, he just stopped all communication. Two words: ass-hole...
Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by OtterXO
I have a story that's actually worse than the e-mail breakup or phone breakup. My sister's best friend was dating a guy for 4 years, they were talking marriage and everything was fine (according to her). One day he just STOPPED CALLING HER. She called him (obviously) and he asked her to please stop calling him and be mature because it was obvious the relationship was over. Um...really? Was it? He never broke up with her, he just stopped all communication. Two words: ass-hole...

I can beat this one, and it's really not even close. A good friend of mine was dating a girl for about six months, with really no huge issues other than her being a little off-center. She had a grandfather who thought he was somehow psychic, and she actually believed that he had some sort of clairvoyance about him . . . one day, he told her that if she stayed in the Des Moines area, he "couldn't see her surviving even one more year" - he predicted SHE WOULD BE DEAD WITHIN THE YEAR if she stayed.

Her response? She headed over to my buddy's place, walked in, sat him down and told him what had just happened - "My grandfather doesn't think I'll survive another year if I stay here, so I'm leaving - I will probably never be able to speak to you again. I hope you understand."

She then walked out of his place, moved to Oklahoma, and he's never heard from her since.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
Speaking of lawyers, I do have to vouch for their lack of knowledge/ability. Summer '04 fling was a lawyer...was able to improve his kissing skills but thats as far as it got. He prided himself in his "abilities" which I will state were not as good as he thought. At one point he told me "but all the other girls I've been with never said anything." Sigh oh darling, just because we dont tell you doesnt mean we dont have the right to be dissatified.
Okay thank you.

CUGreekGirl, I think our friend Mark gets around...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

KSigRC…um your buddy was so lucky to get out of that anyway, but it does beat my story with the addition of the crazy factor…haha.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Question: how do you break up with someone you arent going out with? I have been hanging out with this guy for a few weeks and we made out and all that stuff... but honestly I would rather not do anything like that with him anymore.

I thought I made it clear that we were just friends w/ benefits (and he agreed!) but lately he started getting really clingy, its like he knows Im not interested anymore. He keeps calling and asking me to come over and everytime I tell him Im busy (which I actually am, its not a lie) he gets whiny. We never agreed to be anything and now he acts like we are... and I work with the guy (stupid I know...) so I need to find a way to let him down w/o causing drama.....

I really am too busy to be in a relationship and I wanted to avoid all this drama in the first place (hence the friends w/ benefits)... but I guess that doesnt really ever work
Old 04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of crazies:

Two of my friends have been "hanging out" for a few months. He has a huge crush on me and he's never tried to hide it; he's a huge player and we all know it -- but she still lost her virginity to him about a week ago. To make things even more awesome, he is now dating someone else that he really likes, and wants to stop having sex with my friend. And I think my friend may be getting too attached. I was drunk last night when we all went out, so I couldn't accurately gauge their interaction, but she ended up going home early which makes me think something is up.

I feel like I'm supposed to be mad at him for being such an insensitive jerk, but to be honest, I'm not -- I'm mad at her for being such a stupid girl and thinking that it meant more than it did (assuming that that is what's going on). He never tried to hide his manwhorishness, I told her multiple times that it wouldn't mean anything to him, blah blah blah -- and she still turns in the v-card? WHO DOES THAT?

In other news, I need to stop letting other people borrow my phone to call The Boy I'm Not Supposed to Be Calling, because I fear sometimes that he doesn't check his voice mail and so all he gets is "3 missed calls," all of them from me, and thinks I'm stalking him.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I feel like I'm supposed to be mad at him for being such an insensitive jerk, but to be honest, I'm not -- I'm mad at her for being such a stupid girl and thinking that it meant more than it did (assuming that that is what's going on). He never tried to hide his manwhorishness, I told her multiple times that it wouldn't mean anything to him, blah blah blah -- and she still turns in the v-card? WHO DOES THAT?

In other news, I need to stop letting other people borrow my phone to call The Boy I'm Not Supposed to Be Calling, because I fear sometimes that he doesn't check his voice mail and so all he gets is "3 missed calls," all of them from me, and thinks I'm stalking him.
I was in the SAME situation with a friend and the v-card. She was whinning about it too much and one day I just broke down and said 'you were the idoit for giving it up to him even though you admited he was a manwhore the first time we met him.' she was pissed at me for a week or so, but then got over it when she realized i told her the thruth.

Boy I'm Not Supposed to be Calling got called last night. And not by me. Boy I'm Crushing On got a hold of my phone while we were drinking wine in class (my professor bought it in). Of all the people in all the phone book, he calls Boy I'm Not Supposed to be Calling. WTF? I get all pissed and try to explain to Boy I'm Crushing On why it was a horrible thing to do...he asks why I didn't delete said boy if he is an ex. Couldn't bring myself to tell Crush Boy why, and instead said " Never got around to deleting it."
I fear I have no chance with Boy I'm Crushing On now.
Le sigh. And hes going for his PhD too.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PureGoldF2K1
Grrr I was soo moving on (to quote kelly clarkson) when he had to go and tell me things probably wont be lasting much longer with the new girlfriend and how much he misses me, and left drunken "im sorry, you're amazing" messages on my voicemail. I know thats all so lame of him, but dammit if he doesnt respark that .001% of hope in me thats gonna keep me from liking anyone else.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD

Boy I'm Not Supposed to be Calling got called last night. And not by me. Boy I'm Crushing On got a hold of my phone while we were drinking wine in class (my professor bought it in). Of all the people in all the phone book, he calls Boy I'm Not Supposed to be Calling. WTF? I get all pissed and try to explain to Boy I'm Crushing On why it was a horrible thing to do...he asks why I didn't delete said boy if he is an ex. Couldn't bring myself to tell Crush Boy why, and instead said " Never got around to deleting it."
UGH UGH UGH the boy called and I'm talking to him right now and why do I do this to myself and where is my support group when I need it?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

See, my theory on this is Act It Until You Feel It. So if he says something about you being crazy and calling him 3x, then you give him the squint eye and be like, "Right. Oooooooor I was at a bar and three people borrowed my phone to call you. Do you check your voice messages or what?" and then he's the asshole for assuming you're obsessed with him. Even though that's debatable. And if he never says anything, you act like you would if you didn't like him and didn't care what he thinks -- that is, not sweat it.

Or you could call him and tell him you and his mom are looking at china patterns this week, is he thinking more a simplistic theme or more florals?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
UGH UGH UGH the boy called and I'm talking to him right now and why do I do this to myself and where is my support group when I need it?
DUDE.

You: "Uh, I have to go."
Him: "Oh, but, uh -- "
You: *click*
Old 04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
See, my theory on this is Act It Until You Feel It. So if he says something about you being crazy and calling him 3x, then you give him the squint eye and be like, "Right. Oooooooor I was at a bar and three people borrowed my phone to call you. Do you check your voice messages or what?" and then he's the asshole for assuming you're obsessed with him. Even though that's debatable. And if he never says anything, you act like you would if you didn't like him and didn't care what he thinks -- that is, not sweat it.

Or you could call him and tell him you and his mom are looking at china patterns this week, is he thinking more a simplistic theme or more florals?
I swear, I think we went to the same relationship school or got the same relationship gene or something. I tell my friends to act it until you feel it ALL THE TIME. Most of the time guys have no idea a girl is actually worried about something until she reacts. If you act like it's no big deal then he'll think you think it's no big deal....and soon it will be to you. Funny how that works
Old 04-13-2005, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
DUDE.

You: "Uh, I have to go."
Him: "Oh, but, uh -- "
You: *click*
I talked to him but nothing really bad happened.

I really need to just not talk to him though. This is so unhealthy.