GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,306
2 members and 1,304 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2001, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Random Acts of Kindness!!!

Here's my story:

Christmas Eve I was hungry for some grub (even though my aunt was making a wonderful dinner in an hour!) so I decided to stop by McDonalds for some food. My bill came to $3.12. But as I was handing the money over to the obviously overworked, underpaid drive thru employee, I realized that this poor soul was working on Christmas Eve while I was able to enjoy my day off. I didn't have much on me, but when he handed me back my $1.88 change, I pressed a $5 bill into his hand and said Merry Christmas. His face lit up and he didn't know what to say.

I like the feeling of helping someone out, especially since I was once a $5 an hour worker at Dunkin Donuts and I remember being EXCITED when someone would leave me even a 25 cent tip. I would add up in my head how those coins would eventually add up to an extra hour's worth of money by the end of my shift.

So, my point for this post. Go out and make someone's day! Give the little kid on the corner selling lemonade an extra dollar for your 25 cent glass of lemonade (actually I hope no one is selling lemonade now--it's too cold!), hand the worker at Kohl's an extra $5 and tell them to keep the change, or even, if you are strapped for cash, go and tell a manager when a worker was extra friendly or went out of their way for you. It could turn into a raise or even a promotion for that worker. It takes 3 minutes, but could really help someone out in the long run.

Post your reply and ideas please! And try a random act of kindness tomorrow...I promise you will feel great and will make someone else feel even better!
Old 12-27-2001, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Random acts of kindness do make you feel so good! I have an act of kindness that always seems to be appreciated on rainy days (especially at the mall). I get out of my car and look around me. If someone is walking in the rain without an umbrella I always offer to share mine. 9 out of 10 times, they are very greatful and are surprised at my offer. Something small like sharing an umbrella, or opening a door for a mom with an arm load of kids or reaching up to get something on a shelf for someone in a wheel chair follows the golden rule...I try to place myself in other peoples places and do things that I would love for someone to do for me. I do love the idea of praising sales clerks or waiters when they give you fantastic service - if you have ever worked in these positions you know how good it makes you feel to recieve praise!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This bumps a terribly old thread, but AFAIK there is no GC thread for random acts of kindness (google came up empty)...

In line at the campus snack bar today a young man named Christian noticed I was carrying copies of the campus newspaper, and he introduced himself as one of its reporters. We spoke for a moment about his work, then I mentioned I drop-off campus newspaper copies to a few of my neighbors who like to keep up with collegiate goings-on. He said for being a good newspaper reader I deserved to have him pay for my snack, and I accepted his kind gesture. So unexpected, yet a pleasant addition to the workday!