GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,948
0 members and 1,948 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmie_k View Post
33girl, I don't think my mom's advise is bad she is just wanting her only daughter to be like her. I honestly think joining is easier now because so many girls go to college and even in the late 70s women wanting to show what they could do. I know recommendation letters are still a must at Tennessee but girls try to focus on each other more than what my mom had to go through especially with the WWII widow house mother. I am sure about a quota for upperclass women just a usual quota of around 50.
What? No, no, no, I don't mean about joining a sorority or going to UT, but about waiting until your junior year. This is bad advice, I don't care if it's coming out of your mom's mouth. Joining is harder now (at least for an upperclassman) BECAUSE so many girls go to college. I don't understand your last sentence at all or what the house mother has to do with anything.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I know letters from alumna women are still a must and if I went to U. Tenn right now I would have ever I dotted and T crossed but joining now with so many girls means focusing on the girls more and not how well you are pre-connected to that sorority. When my mom went through it was few and far between with girls that had parents that would pay for extra curricular activities or girls that would work and balance school so it was more of a tradition that relied on the letters and how many girls you are related to that were part of it. (Don't get me wrong it is still very traditional but I think things are changing). You should hear my mom's stories, they would have a bunch of widows live in the houses so they had something to do. No staying out past 10 and rarely wearing jeans and the list goes on and on about fashion assessories the 1940's woman wore.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I know letters from alumna women are still a must and if I went to U. Tenn right now I would have ever I dotted and T crossed but joining now with so many girls means focusing on the girls more and not how well you are pre-connected to that sorority. When my mom went through it was few and far between with girls that had parents that would pay for extra curricular activities or girls that would work and balance school so it was more of a tradition that relied on the letters and how many girls you are related to that were part of it. (Don't get me wrong it is still very traditional but I think things are changing). You should hear my mom's stories, they would have a bunch of widows live in the houses so they had something to do. No staying out past 10 and rarely wearing jeans and the list goes on and on about fashion assessories the 1940's woman wore.
And your post relates to what I said how??? Other than basically reaffirming the fact that recs don't guarantee you a bid at all?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
33girl, I don't think my mom's advise is bad she is just wanting her only daughter to be like her.
Sorry, but your mom wanting you to be like her =/= good advice. Good advice is advice that puts you and what you want out of your college experience first, even if it isn't what your mom would have chosen.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
33girl, I don't think my mom's advise is bad she is just wanting her only daughter to be like her. I honestly think joining is easier now because so many girls go to college and even in the late 70s women wanting to show what they could do.
Like others have said, recruitment/ sorority life is very different from when our mothers were in college. I am not sure that I agree with you about it being easier to join now. I think that how easy it is to get a bid somewhere is very campus specific. Some places it is still very difficult to get a bid. Also, you and your mother need to keep in mind that your legacy status is not a golden ticket into her chapter. Legacies get cut every year at SEC schools, and unless there is a separate upperclassmen quota, you will be at a disadvantage unless you have some major connections in-house. I would go through at Memphis while you are a freshman. If you don't find what you are looking for, then wait for UT, but I wouldn't pass up what could be a good thing at Memphis for a long shot at UT. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I left out recs aren't required according to the pamplet sent in the mail but I have a few. I don't know how many girls take it seriously and turn them in.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

are you girls sisters? im confused...haha

anyway, if your mom had not been in a sorority what would you do?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

BeeBee23, lol now I am confused. I have brothers but as far as I know I am the only daughter. If my mom hadn't been in one this would be any easy choice. I would fully plan on going to ADPi to be with friends my age and some older. There isn't much to do in school besides go to class and I was very involved in highschool so I don't want that to end.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for VioletPretty, have you heard anything about Sigma Kappa here? I know several girls and just want to hear what you think the difference between this chapter and yours might be and do you consider yourself northern, southern, or midatlantic?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

hahah sorry, I think I looked at the wrong post and thought you had a different username.

well, getting into ADPi is not a guarantee. So, you could always go through recruitment and see what happens. Did you say if your mom's GLO had a chapter at Memphis? Again, they could cut you and then the choice is not yours. Plus, if you're considering transferring, do you feel like you could potentially fit in at ADPi at UTenn or any other chapter for that matter. (btw, I don't recommend pledging a sorority just because you like the chapter at UTenn...)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Question for VioletPretty, have you heard anything about Sigma Kappa here? I know several girls and just want to hear what you think the difference between this chapter and yours might be and do you consider yourself northern, southern, or midatlantic?
This would be an example of things you would be better served not to ask. Go through recruitment if you want to get to know the girls.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BeeBee23, lol now I am confused. I have brothers but as far as I know I am the only daughter. If my mom hadn't been in one this would be any easy choice. I would fully plan on going to ADPi to be with friends my age and some older. There isn't much to do in school besides go to class and I was very involved in highschool so I don't want that to end.
True life: ADPi could cut you.

Then what?

My advice, do what YOU want...rush, don't rush, whatever but don't choose your potential sorority experience/college because of your parents and friends.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
33girl, I don't think my mom's advise is bad she is just wanting her only daughter to be like her. I honestly think joining is easier now because so many girls go to college and even in the late 70s women wanting to show what they could do. I know recommendation letters are still a must at Tennessee but girls try to focus on each other more than what my mom had to go through especially with the WWII widow house mother. I am sure about a quota for upperclass women just a usual quota of around 50.
Quote:
Wow, I just wrote a response to each of you and somehow it didn't post. To all it is a song and I didn't realise it resembled a marquise cut. My mother's sorority is 1 of 4 not at U. Mem's campus and similar to your friends my parents would prefer the U. Tenn degree for job oppertunites and such. BeeBee23, I love you and your outlook on everything! I personally want to be an ADPi but I do get my mom wanting her only daughter to be like her. I can't remember the rest of what I wrote but thank you all!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why am I getting a volleyball vibe?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
This would be an example of things you would be better served not to ask. Go through recruitment if you want to get to know the girls.
I just wanted to know because it isn't like Maryland is part of a different planet but people act like their is a big difference between states. Atleast in Tennessee the general impressions of a group is equal all over. I don't think it is easy anywhere you go especially if you have fewer chapters. They won't care if you have a 4.0 if they don't like you! I just think things are easier than when my mom went through it, less restrictions. Sydney, your name reminds me of a show, anyways, anyone can not get in but from what I read on here EVERYONE has a preference starting out and why would I not consider going where most of my friends go? Did atleast one person on this site get into the sorority they wanted? You just make it so negative sounding like every girl is below the sorority and she is lucky to be invited to it. Can I ask how open to every group you were and not just the least bit partial to one?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Why am I getting a volleyball vibe?
It rambles like a volleyball.