GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,393
1 members and 1,392 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-24-2005, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alcohol policy fosters fraternity alumni donations

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greek graduates are eager to give money for house improvements.

by Julianna Parker
October 23, 2005

____Fraternity alumni are donating more money for house improvements since the implementation of the student alcohol policy in January, according to Jeremy Black, Oklahoma Univ. Interfraternity Council adviser.

____Alumni are more eager to donate because improvements will no longer be endangered by alcohol-filled parties, he said.

____“I think alumni overall are more likely to give money for beautification projects,” he said.

____Before the new alcohol policy was created, fraternities sometimes had raucous parties that could damage the houses. Alumni were often reluctant to donate money to improve their house because the improvements might not last, Black said.

____However, some alumni said the new alcohol policy could have a negative effect on fundraising efforts.

____Sigma Alpha Epsilon alumni involvement is decreasing this semester as a result of the alcohol policy, said Eddie Edwards, chairman of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon board of trustees.

____Alumni do not return to the house for game days. This depletes the feeling of community and makes it more difficult to raise money, he said.

____At least half of the fraternities have improved their houses since the student alcohol policy was instated last spring, he said.

____Some fraternities renovated their houses last semester and over the summer. dollars, said Jeremy Spearing, Delta Tau Delta president and criminology senior.

____Alumni have primarily invested money in the areas of houses where parties used to be held, Black said.

____“We had parties that were out of control,” Spearing said.

____He said people who didn’t live at the fraternity house would come to the house for parties, but would not take care of it.

____“With the new dry campus, that doesn’t happen,” Spearing said.

____Improvements are being made to the basement of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house, which used to be damaged at parties, said Lambda Chi Alpha President Daniel Fleischer.

____The state of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house also has improved since it went dry, Spearing said.

____Fleischer said the alcohol policy has benefited his fraternity’s house too.

____“It’s definitely reduced the amount of damage to the house,” he said. “The house is in much better shape than it’s ever been.”

____Before the alcohol policy was established, alumni were reluctant to come back because they didn’t like the state of the house, Spearing said.

____Now alumni are more willing to come back to visit. They are also more willing to donate for the house, Spearing said.

____Delta Tau Delta alumni improved the house last summer to the tune of about half a million.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Tau Delta alumni improved the house last summer to the tune of about half a million.

I know that Alpha Gamma Delta doesn't allow sister-brother fraternities but can we be kinda adopted?

At WGa, there is a proposal for Greek apts so we may need new chapter furniture, lol.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alcohol policy fosters fraternity alumni donations

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

Greek graduates are eager to give money for house improvements.

by Julianna Parker
October 23, 2005

____Fraternity alumni are donating more money for house improvements since the implementation of the student alcohol policy in January, according to Jeremy Black, Oklahoma Univ. Interfraternity Council adviser.

____Alumni are more eager to donate because improvements will no longer be endangered by alcohol-filled parties, he said.

____“I think alumni overall are more likely to give money for beautification projects,” he said.

____Before the new alcohol policy was created, fraternities sometimes had raucous parties that could damage the houses. Alumni were often reluctant to donate money to improve their house because the improvements might not last, Black said.

____However, some alumni said the new alcohol policy could have a negative effect on fundraising efforts.

____Sigma Alpha Epsilon alumni involvement is decreasing this semester as a result of the alcohol policy, said Eddie Edwards, chairman of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon board of trustees.

____Alumni do not return to the house for game days. This depletes the feeling of community and makes it more difficult to raise money, he said.

____At least half of the fraternities have improved their houses since the student alcohol policy was instated last spring, he said.

____Some fraternities renovated their houses last semester and over the summer. dollars, said Jeremy Spearing, Delta Tau Delta president and criminology senior.

____Alumni have primarily invested money in the areas of houses where parties used to be held, Black said.

____“We had parties that were out of control,” Spearing said.

____He said people who didn’t live at the fraternity house would come to the house for parties, but would not take care of it.

____“With the new dry campus, that doesn’t happen,” Spearing said.

____Improvements are being made to the basement of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house, which used to be damaged at parties, said Lambda Chi Alpha President Daniel Fleischer.

____The state of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house also has improved since it went dry, Spearing said.

____Fleischer said the alcohol policy has benefited his fraternity’s house too.

____“It’s definitely reduced the amount of damage to the house,” he said. “The house is in much better shape than it’s ever been.”

____Before the alcohol policy was established, alumni were reluctant to come back because they didn’t like the state of the house, Spearing said.

____Now alumni are more willing to come back to visit. They are also more willing to donate for the house, Spearing said.

____Delta Tau Delta alumni improved the house last summer to the tune of about half a million.
Who Is This Person?

Where did they get this information?

Why do they think that they are the definitive word on this?

Sorry, I call BS!

Not to all of it, but to some!

Sorry, I am Omnopresent and I know this S**T!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an article from the Oklahoma Daily, OU's campus newspaper.

I agree, on the BS. Some alumni may be willing to give more now because there are fewer parties, but the majority are giving less because chapters cannot have social functions at the houses. We all know that drinking reminiscing alumni have much more open pockets.

I feel like there has to be a way around this. My suggestion is to allow permits for alcohol on game days for a limited amount of time.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrelyre
We all know that drinking reminiscing alumni have much more open pockets.
Do you have statistics on that? I don't think you can prove it.

Here's my guess (notice I'm not claiming to be sure it's true). Younger alums may be concerned about drinking and parties.

Older alums (who may be in a position to make more and larger donations) are more concerned about Risk Management issues and maintenance of chapter property.

I can tell you without much fear of disagreement that older local Delt alumni around here feel that way. They've spent too much money on restoration of damaged housing.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Do you have statistics on that? I don't think you can prove it.
I was hardly claiming to know it's true. I don't have empirical studies. I was simply stating what I know to be the issue and related attitudes on my campus.

The issue is that most fundraisers are social events, especially on football game days, which are usually a big deal in Norman. Alumni, younger and older, are generally tending to go to events where they can have a few beers. Those events can no longer take place at fraternity houses, so the majority of chapters are experiencing a decrease in alumni donations.

That is all I was saying. I tried to say it in a humorous, joking tone. I won't again.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was hardly claiming to know it's true. I don't have empirical studies. I was simply stating what I know to be the issue and related attitudes on my campus.

The issue is that most fundraisers are social events, especially on football game days, which are usually a big deal in Norman. Alumni, younger and older, are generally tending to go to events where they can have a few beers. Those events can no longer take place at fraternity houses, so the majority of chapters are experiencing a decrease in alumni donations.

That is all I was saying. I tried to say it in a humorous, joking tone. I won't again.
That is all I was saying. I tried to say it in a humorous, joking tone. I won't again. [/B][/QUOTE]

"Please dont say this again!"

I am sure We all understand what was being said.

With What I have been going through with many or a few Aluns actually, there is a bigger rise of trying to Help and not being The Drunken SOTs that some think We are, We still like to get together and hoist a few, but there is temperece and more level headedness especially when Chapters get DeChartered and wonder Why! Stupidty on some of the Younger Alums are starting to bear Fruit of Hey Guys You need to slow it down. Maybe Yes, Maybe No, but to roll all into one group is hard to hold to.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I tried to say it in a humorous, joking tone. I won't again.
Lyer,

My post sounded harsh, and wasn't intended to be. I'm sorry about that. We can use all of the humor we can get.

My experience simply is that, when push comes to shove, it's the older alums who have had the time to establish their lives and careers are the biggest doners -- and they're the ones who worry about the Risk Management and financial issues more.

Returning alumni who are most interested in drinking beer are fun, but should raise red flags for advisors, house corp members and and others in leadership roles.

My suspicion still is that those who want to come back to party and drink are likely to be younger alums.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
My suspicion still is that those who want to come back to party and drink are likely to be younger alums.
No.

Trust me, I saw more drunken 50+ alums at my latest homecoming than younger ones.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
No.

Trust me, I saw more drunken 50+ alums at my latest homecoming than younger ones.
Yeah, i'd agree with 33girl. Homecoming weekend, there were always a bunch of older alumni up at the fraternity houses who were plastered and quite happy to be hitting on the college girls. Even when their wives were nearby!