GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,292
1 members and 1,291 guests
znathanhulzeo24
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

SAIgirl513, I'm PMing you about that question.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIgirl513 View Post
SAI as a whole is totally against hazing, and our chapter follows that to the letter. We are told from the start to tell our VPM if we feel we have been hazed. I think it just makes for a much more pleasant experience.

Though I don't really understand how family trees are considered hazing....I can see how they could potentially form cliques within the group, but otherwise I don't really get it.

The social frats I know haze, as for the sororities, if they do it is not apparent.
Some groups simply have different interpretations of what hazing is. Some of 'em border on being akin to those schools which send kids home because they brought their 1/20 scale toy guns to their GI Joe toy to school.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Some groups simply have different interpretations of what hazing is.
This. There are policies or activities some groups consider hazing that other groups not only allow but require. I don't know if the activities SAIgirl513 is talking about fall into that category (and I don't really want to know), but it's always worth remembering that different definitions of hazing can come into play before asserting that other groups haze.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

SLG haze

The chapter at my college calls themselves "A non hazing organization" in the interview process they make sure you are naive and say hazing is like drinking a lot of alcohol or don't really know about hazing. Then you become inferior associate members who do their work like make their flyers and are deprived of sleep. They trick you into thinking it's all apart of growing and becoming better. Yet is it? [please respond to my PM before you continue posting about this organization] has an amazing sorority but needs to reevaluate their process, they go against academics and pride which is in the motto. well at least in the chapter at my college

Last edited by Kevin; 04-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

No, Beta Sigma Phi does not haze. Our chapter (as we're going into our second and final rush of the sorority year....Hello Beta class! ) created a few traditions for the period between receiving the invite to membership and the pledge ritual, all of which are lovely. However, someone from outside the chapter and organization inadvertently witnessed one of these and attempted to turn a mountain into a molehill starting a rumor claiming that it was hazing and that we were "witches". Our advisor still laughs about this, because it was so patently untrue. :-D

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely not. Everyone is actually very careful so as to avoid hazing.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
Heck, no!

We did see another sorority's new members being hazed, though. I was a new member myself at the time, and I remember my big sister was furious that they were hazing. It was nearly six years ago...I wonder if they're still doing it.
Good company you have! Why would they hurt people who only wanted to be a member? Pointless!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine doesn't. I just don't understand the importance of hazing when joining a fraternity. I'm sorry to those who do haze, but why?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

By my personal definition of hazing, my chapter did not. But by some definitions out there, maybe.

Looking back, it was what it was and I have no complaints. I was just happy to get it over and done with.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is old, but I wanted to add since I've been reading. My chapter went to EXTREMES to ensure we were not uncomfortable. They told us straight away that if we felt uncomfortable or were concerned about anything from anyone to bring it up. I think it is almost ridiculous how crazy we took it. But at the same time, I know of other chapters that have hazed or done some things that might be questionable. My chapter wanted to make sure our new members felt loved and cared for, and I for one greatly appreciate knowing that I was completely safe with my sisters.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless being showered with gifts and treats is considered hazing, I can state that I was never hazed.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd say that the closest that I got to being hazed is that the Big Brother reveal at my chapter. It wasn't on campus and the pledges were simply told to show up at the chapter office (about 4:30 PM, I think( and that they wouldn't be back for a couple of hours. The Pledge Master and a few other brothers then took us walking through the city park that adjoined campus and we didn't know where we were going. We eventually ended up at a pizza place where the rest of the chapter was present and the Big Brother reveal took place there.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My Chapter knows they better not or I will rain hell and fire down on them! So basically NO!

That is what I founded the local on, NO HAZING!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'd say that the closest that I got to being hazed is that the Big Brother reveal at my chapter. It wasn't on campus and the pledges were simply told to show up at the chapter office (about 4:30 PM, I think( and that they wouldn't be back for a couple of hours. The Pledge Master and a few other brothers then took us walking through the city park that adjoined campus and we didn't know where we were going. We eventually ended up at a pizza place where the rest of the chapter was present and the Big Brother reveal took place there.
I'm always a little jealous when I hear of fraternity chapters that do a Big Brother/Little Brother reveal. Ours was uneventful. I still ended up with a great Big Brother, but there was no fun reveal for it.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Tonight (11/29/21) on “60 Minutes”, Anderson Cooper did a lengthy interview piece on ATO chapter hazing charges over a pledge hazing/forced alcohol consumption death at Washington State University in 2019.

Both the school and ATO Hdqtrs. shut down the chapter which could recolonize as early as 2026. Those interviewed included the parents of Sam Martinez, the late pledge, ATO National Officials (who Cooper pinned to the wall!), local police and prosecutors, and local ATO brothers.

Some ATO Brothers are going to jail over this. It was a really in-depth hard-hitting interview and report. I was not aware of this incident, but the trials and sentences just occurred in June of 2021.