GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,407
4 members and 1,403 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 08-07-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Going Through Rush

hey guys. i decided to rush this fall and i'm so excited about it, but one thing worries me. i read on a lot of these forums that you should ask the sisters lots of questions to show that you are interested, but i can't even think of questions to ask them because everything i was confused or curious about has been answered on all these forums(which brings me to thank all of you that have been the hugest help in answering stuff for us new people and making us so less nervous about the whole thing.)i don't want anyone i meet during rush to think that i'm not enthusiastic about sorority life because i can't wait to meet all those new people and find out more about greek life. so, do you think theres anything i can do to show my enthusiasm?
Old 08-07-2000, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Honeybee, I would ask things about that sorority's history (when they were founded, when was that chapter founded, etc.), ask if the sorority has won any chapter awards or have any recent accomplishments, how do they maintain sisterhood in the house (ie, what type of bonding activities do they do, etc), what type of community service do they do--is it monthly, quarterly, semesterly, etc. I would also ask if the alumnae are still active w/ the sorority in any ways. Hmm, what else? I would also ask the members questions about themselves. I'm sure they'll all ask you things like what's your major, where you're from, etc, etc. You can of course ask those things of them too. I don't wanna keep talking on and on. If you have any questions about more questions , give me an email.

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi
Old 08-07-2000, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

ZChi4Life...
those are some really, really great questions to ask. thanks so much for the help-i would have never thought of those on my own. it's going to be a great way to learn more about the sororities, and i can't wait to hear their answers. i thought of another question to ask them, too. i wanted to find out more about how much time is required of the active members. i need your advice on this. do u think i should ask it on the first night of rush or not(i don't want it to sound like i don't have enough time to put into the sorority b/c if i get into one it would be oneof my top priorities.)also, i don't want them to think that i don't want to put in any more time than i have to. i don't know how they would interpret that question..or i might just be worrying about nothing-lol. i just want your opinion on this. thanks again for the help!!!
Old 08-07-2000, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey HB,
Well I'm not really sure when the appropriate time to ask that would be. See my sorority does Rush a little bit differently. My sorority is not in the NPC or w/ all the "mainstream" greeks, so our Rush is designed slightly different. Before our Rush week starts, we have a pre-Rush informational meeting beforehand so that interested girls can come out and find out things about our sorority (ie, history, membership, philanthropy, etc, etc.) So at this time, it would be ok for a woman to ask what the time committment would be. In your case, I would say to maybe hold off until the second set of parties to ask this. I'm not really sure though. Maybe someone who is in a sorority and does things like what you describe would be more helpful. I would just guess and say that it would be cool to wait until the 2nd set of parties or rounds to ask this. To me, if you asked right away, you might come off as being a little too eager in terms of trying to find out the committment. They may think "geez this girl must be too busy for us" or that you may have other things that are way more important than the sorority. OR..they may think "hey, ok, she obviously wants to fit the sorority in her schedule b/c she wants to be a dedicated member, etc"
So like I said, I can't say for sure since my sorority does things differently. But I'm sure someone who's org does things like this can help ya out! Good luck w/ everything! I'm sure you'll do fine w/ asking the questions and all

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi