GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,205
1 members and 2,204 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-21-2000, 08:45 PM
KateNY

Question Cliques within Sororities

Joining a sorority has been one of the best experiences of my life. I am happy to be very close with a group of girls in my pledge class. My problem is that I don't feel as if I know other groups of girls within the sorority, because of the many cliques that exist. I suppose this can be expected because we are a larger chapter, with about 150 girls. My question is how has everyone else dealt with cliques? Any suggestions for getting different groups to interact more?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2000, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I understand where you are coming from. Although we are all sisters, we still choose to be with some people more than others. One way that my sorority deals with this is when we do things in smaller groups, but still as a chapter, we make the groups up before hand and make sure that there are different people in the groups that normally would not be together. We find that this works well because in smaller groups you can get to know someone on a different level.
Old 07-21-2000, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

i understand where you're coming from. i'm part of a "clique" and on the outside of them as well within my sorority. i agree with flyphi in that there are sisters you'd more rather hang out with. my little and i have an apartment next year together, another sister and i go clubbing together...it's kind of hard not being privy to the inside jokes within your sorority that you're not really "inside" with, but that's what a personal relationship in a sorority sometimes entails. as for dealing with it, i suggest to leave it alone, unless it gets bad. if it's at the point where particular sisters are excluding other sisters (or themselves for that matter) from the group, or disturbing the group so much that other members react to it, maybe you should sit them down and chat with them about it. let them know it bothers you and that you're not happy with it. they may not even realize what thier actions really mean. you might be surprised! i hope everything works out for you!!

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos
Old 07-22-2000, 03:06 PM
StephTX

Cliques will always happen - just as a sorority is a "clique" within the university community, cliques within the sorority will occur.

IMHO, it only becomes a problem when those in the cliques forget their vows of sisterhood, and begin to treat others differently. If you are kind to everyone, then no-one can fault you for who you hang out with.

The other time cliques become a problem is when a power structure gets in place that affects chapter votes. Voting for an officer or a party or a procedure because of another person, and not because you are considering the best interest of the sorority, will lead to the chapter's downfall!

Those are my 2 cents. (am also in a large chapter - 150+ actives)
Old 07-22-2000, 05:03 PM
Artimis

From a different point of view, Even small chapters have their share of cliques. They will exist. But its important to remeber them when your planning events or working with new classes. The occasional activitiy that mixes the sisters up from thier normal groups and places them with other sisters can help mantain strength within the sisterhood. Sometimes a group of close friends don't realize that they seems exclusionary to others unless something is said to them.
Old 07-24-2000, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
One effective way to work with cliques, especially if they have gotten to the point of truly "dividing" the chapter up, is to randomly assign members to different groups that are participating in chater retreats/events, etc.... that way, if the cliques are to such an extent that members are getting out of touch with one another, this will force them to work with members they may not normally associate with. I've seen effective results with this in the past...
Old 07-26-2000, 01:31 PM
gammasig52

I myself am apart of what I would consider a clique in my chapter. It mostly consists of those sisters who happen to very active or vocal within the chapter. As an officer I feel as though I shouldn't exclude myself from other members. I always try my best to speak to all the girls. Especially when doing service projects or doing something for the chapter. Another thing that I like to do is just do something nice for one of sisters that she doesn't expect. Like if I no she collects something I'll buy it for her just to show that I'm thinking of her. This way you are showing your sisters that even though you maynot be close your still there for them.

Old 08-05-2000, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I don't feel like I'm a part of a clique within my house. I feel that if anything each pledge class could be considered a clique. Perhaps me and my sisters with the same major hang out more, because we have more classes together.

Maybe your chapter could try doing pledge class dinners. Twice a semester we have pledgeclass dinners out of the house at a local restaurant. Then we all go out together afterwards. It's great.