GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,396
1 members and 2,395 guests
babobygooglet93

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2018, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question I have a sticky situation :/

Hi! I'm totally new here, I found this site while googling solutions to my problem and I'm hoping someone here can give me advice. (Beware, this post is kind of long and complicated-if you're not into that feel free to skip, haha!)
I'm currently in my first semester at a small, private liberal arts college. When I got in, I didn't get into the more selective degree program I wanted, but instead into a less specialized version of the same degree program, and was told that I was pretty much assured to get into the specialized program at the end of this semester. I didn't love a lot about the school, but I liked the program and felt confident about getting in, and that was enough. Despite thinking of myself as not really a sorority person, I participated in rush this fall-and I received a bid from what has turned out to be an absolutely incredible group of girls. I love being involved in Greek life and meeting so many new people, and I'm so happy I decided to rush.
Unfortunately, I met with my academic advisor the other day, and he told me that the specialized program accepted more people than usual this year, and there may not be room for me, so my interview is being pushed back to the spring. The problem is that if I don't get in, I honestly don't want to stay at this school-my sorority is amazing, but the campus is so small and there's not really a lot going on, and I'm really only here for the specialized program. Unfortunately, I won't know until my interview in the spring whether I'm going to transfer or not, and it's pretty much 50/50 at this point, from what my advisor told me.
So here's my question (that was a LOT of set-up, I know): what should I do about my sorority? I'm still a new member but will be initiated within the next month. I hate the idea of becoming initiated and attached to the girls there and then immediately leaving, but I also don't want to drop now without knowing whether or not I'm leaving-I don't think they'd be thrilled about me trying to awkwardly rejoin the group next year if I stay here. I'd also love to rush if I go somewhere else, but I don't know how being a member here would hurt my chances. My sorority is a local chapter (as are all the organizations at my school), so I don't think it's technically against the rules for me to rush somewhere else (I might be wrong! I've only heard this from friends), but I feel like it might be frowned upon.
I feel so bad about this situation and I have no idea what to do. If anyone has any advice that would be amazing! Thank you!