GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,177
3 members and 2,174 guests
AlwaysSAI, mlanderson, MTSUGURL

Old 08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
it looks like the sheduled is written for "accept/regret" style of recruitment and Auburn has moved to "priority" style.

Accept/regret is where you see all invitations you receive and accept up to the max allowed and regret the rest.

Priority is where the PNMs rank their choices after each round and panhellenic does "matching" of preferences.

Can anyone confirm that Auburn has moved to priority?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom View Post
They will have to reduce from 12 sororities to 6 sororities for Round 3—Skit Round. Skit round will take place on Saturday.
12 to 6 is quite a cut.

Can't wait to hear another update.

Sounds like things are going very well!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
12 to 6 is quite a cut.
I was thinking the same thing. Yikes.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Can anyone confirm that Auburn has moved to priority?
Based on what you described, Auburn has definitely moved to the priority style of recruitment!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello....

I just talked to Kate; she is still having a good time at rush, but I think she is beginning to get a little tired and I think the heat is getting to everyone! Tomorrow morning she'll find out how many parties she will be going back to and where she will be returning for round three (skit parties).

As mentioned a few times cutting from 12 to 6 sororities could be tough for some PNM's. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I'll update tomorrow....
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Thanks for the great updates!

As a northerner and a left coaster- I so appreciate the updates! I have a number of friends ( sorority alumnae) in the Auburn area and they are impossible to get any information from at this time.

Also, as a mom who has a daughter who went through recruitment I can appreciate how you are feeling. I think I was more nervous than my daughter and she only had 5 houses not the large numbers like Auburn!

Thank you for your time in communicating to all of us! I look forward to hearing Kate's results each day! Best wishes....

GPhiB
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

<Waiting with great anticipation for an update and hoping that Kate got great invites back!!!!>
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetaprincess
I wonder how many she got invited back to?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope it's good news!

(I think it would be really hard to write a real-time recruitment story unless by some odd chance a girl stuck with her earlier favorites all the way through.)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Waking up on the left coast ... hopeful

I'm excited to hear about Kate's results today!

Also, I wanted to mention my daughter is home and leaving for school today. She is president of her sorority ( they have deferred Recruitment) I shared this thread with her and she was impressed as am I with the wonderful Panhellenic spirit is on this thread! Go KATE and GO GREEK!!! Thank you Auburn Mom for sharing your daughter's experience with us all!

GPhiB
Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to hear how she did!! Crossing fingers for good luck
Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

About Auburn Recruitment NEED ADVICE PLEASE

My daughter has had a very disappointing time in recruitment this week. On the day they were to get 12 invititations she only recieved 4. Now those 4 have cut her down to 2. My questions would be this:
1. What do they base their cuts on? I have heard that the first cuts from 16 to 12 are based solely on GPA. My daughter has a GPA of 3.5. Is that not good enough to be in a sorority at Auburn? What other reasons could there be for being cut. Her Pi Chi hasn't been much help to her at all. She was really devastated that her favorite two sororities cut her. She has admirable career plans. She even has plans that fit exactly with one of those sororities philanthropies so she was really excited about that. In fact at the ice water tea she met more girls at that particular sororities party than any other. They REALLY acted interested in her and her career goals. I would just really like to know why she was cut.
2. my 2nd question would be - is there ANY chance if she drops out tomorrow after the prefs (if she even gets invited back to any) that one of these sororities that she likes would consider her during COB? I just really need some HONEST answers from someone who has been through this at Auburn, please?
We are devastated. She is a very good girl with great character and skills. She has been a leader in our community and also in our Church and has done many volunteer projects. She plans on being VERY active in organizations during her time at AU and also continuing her volunteer work there as well as being actively involved in a local Church in Auburn.
I am not going to mention the name of the Church.
I was of the idea that her resume looked excellent and that she is an excellent young lady that would add a lot to any sorority she decided to join. I would just like to know what y'all think. Was her GPA not good enough? Could it strictly been based on her personality? Which I happen to think is great. She is an attractive girl too.
Please we need to know what to do about this. Should she go ahead and accept a bid or wait it out for COB? What if she doesn't get a bid in COB? Does she stand a chance later on? She really wants to be in a sorority to be in a dorm next year and also it helps with her resume to be in a sorority as she will be applying to Med School eventually. Besides, she just wants to be apart of things at Auburn and make friends. She has heard so much about the sorority experience from her Mom (me).
Although my sorority is not at Auburn.
She also had letters of recommendation for each sorority at Auburn.
Ok, I will wait to see if anyone can help me with this.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM

First off, I'm really sorry your daughter is having such a rough time.

No one here can tell you what the sororities at Auburn base their cuts on. We can't really specualte as to why your daughter was cut heavily because membership decisions of sororities are private and we really don't know why.

COB depends on whether the sororities reach total (the max number of girls they're allowed to take) at the end of formal recruitment.

Those sororities who are below total may have COB after recruitment. So if every sorority reaches total during formal rush, there won't be any opportunities for COB. If there is COB, her options will be limited because COB only involves those groups that don't reach total during formal (like 2 or 3 chapters).

Her best bet is to stick it out through formal recruitment and see what happen. If she does not receive a bid, she is still eligible for COB if there are chapters doing COB after formal.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-11-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, appreciate it

I know that no one can tell me the EXACT reason the sororities cut her but I was just hoping for and idea of what to do.
Isn't it true, that sometimes a lot of the girls that pledge drop out of the pledge class before initiation and then that sorority can have more members join? Is there a chance she would then be picked up?
Also, during COB, if she lets the girls in her dorm that pledged the particular sororities that she wanted (about 5 of them she would really be happy in) know exactly HOW interested she is in joining one of those sororities wouldn't that help her chances of getting a bid during COB?
I am just wondering if maybe her shyness hurt her and the sororities didn't think that maybe she was interested enough in them?
Should I just go ahead and tell her to put the two down on her pledge card and take whatever she gets? Is being in any sorority better than waiting around to see if a particular few will express interest in you again?
Thanks
You are really helping me out with my sanity here.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:32 PM

I wouldn't bank on her being picked up if someone drops out of a sorority before initiation. That usually doesn't happen. Sororities at Auburn don't usually add to the pledge classes if someone drops.

Her best bet is to stick it out through formal recruitment and see what happens. There are so many girls who stick it out in recruitment and end up very happy that they did so, because they end up LOVING their new sorority!

With the number of girls going through, there might not be very many sororities doing COB. Keep in mind that if she stays in recruitment and does not receive a bid through formal, she is STILL eligigble for COB if there is any.

Best of luck!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-11-2007 at 06:37 PM.