GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 790
2 members and 788 guests
Jordandrose, SZISienna0

Old 02-15-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Post question about mailing a resume

Quick question: I don't know if this is arbitrary or not, but, when you are snail mailing your resume, does it matter if you fold it up and put it into a normal legal size envelope, or should I buy the bigger envelopes (forgot what they're called) in which I don't have to fold anything?

Asia
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2001, 05:24 PM
Unregistered-

I really don't know what standard protocol is, but usually I've sent resumes in those large manila envelopes. I just think that resumes look better without any creases.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 02-16-2001, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
I just think that resumes look better without any creases.
I agree. You can find them in off white to match your resume and not that yellow/beige color.

Old 02-21-2001, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys. I work in HR and my suggestion would be to save your money on the special mailing envelopes. Nowadays (wow, I can't believe I used that word!) resumes are usually opened by a low- level clerk (no offense, been there, done that!) and then scanned into a computer. The recruiters then do key word searches based on the position qualifications. Most recruiters don't even see the resume and the direct hiring official certainly never sees it. The original resume is usually photocopied, or the scanned copy is e-mailed to them. Even before scanning, etc. I've never heard of anyone putting a resume in the circular file because of creases.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
A standard envelope should work just fine...I've always mailed my resumes and cover letters in standard envelopes.

------------------

@-->---
Pure as Silver, and True Blue!
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 03-02-2001, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice would be to go with your gut instinct. If your this concerned about it I would go with the bigger size. It cant hurt. Its all about presentation. I believe either size is ok though. I admit many companies prefer the mail or faxed resumes. However, I'd suggest the snail mail route too and trying a combination of approaches. I say this because humans are prone to error. Think about that clerk from human resources that recieves all those emails and what the likelihood might be for a mistake. I admit the email/fax route is faster but sometimes theres nothing like mailing a hard copy of your resume. I think in some ways your resume is more likely to be seen by more people within the company. I could be wrong though. I hope this helps. Good luck. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
Old 03-03-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
actually, multiple mailings of resumes are considered poor form. at least at my company and any one i've ever been at in the 10 years since college. exception: if you fax it and note at the top that it will also follow via u.s. mail.

most companies, do prefer email though--look at earthlink's open positions list--they state a preference for email, as most tech companies do.

anyway, just trying to help as someone who's been out in the world and in h.r. and related fields for awhile.

size of envelope will not matter.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Who knows. I could be totally wrong. I admit most prefer the electronic route of receiving resumes. I just think a multiple of approaches works best.

Kevin
Old 03-05-2001, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
I wouldn't be so concerned about the "appearance" of the resume - folded or not, it's how you present the content of your qualifications that matters.

I review resumes quite frequently - and I really don't care if they are folded are not (however, handwritten resumes are definitely taboo (and YES, I receive them occassionally!)).

Make sure your resume doesn't require a lot of in-depth reading for someone to find if you have the qualifications they need or not - rule of thumb - if someone can't get the gist of your quals in 30 seconds or less scanning your resume, it's too vague.

The best format I've seen is to use bullet-points up front (no more than 6, but, have a total list of 15-20 saved to customize the resume for specific jobs). The bullet point should be a brief action-worded sentence. Put your top two points in order, but the third most important LAST (helps when quick scanning - reviewers often look this way...)

Oh, plain white paper works the best....don't waste money on fancy colored stuff - remember, it's the content, not the appearance that gets you the interview, and hopefully, the job you want.

Good luck...