GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,942
1 members and 1,941 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I bought my groomsmaid dress from J. Crew. I think the dresses are of higher quality than David's, and you can wear them again. Unless the bride has picked a zany color, you can even get sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Most people are doing destination bachelorette parties? Really? I've been to quite a few and have yet to attend one in some far away place. I haven't even heard of friends of friends having destination bachelorette parties.. And all of my friends are in their late 20s/early 30s.

But then again, a lot of my friends live in PA and have their "stag 'n drags," which usually cover the bachelor/bachelorette party all at once.. together.
I've been to a bunch (maybe 20) weddings in the past three years, and the only bachies that weren't destination ones were ones proceeding destination weddings, and the bride didn't want to ask her friends to travel. Even then, it was going on a wine tour a few hours away. It's likely a city thing in addition to being an age thing--we go out in the city all the time, and our friends want to do something different.

I can only speak for what my friends are doing--but I think they're fairly typical of late 20s/early 30s coastal urban professionals. Those were the women described in the article, anyhow.

The next wedding is in 6 months--gives my wallet time to relax.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 12-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Crowd sourcing a bit:
Where did you shop for bridesmaid dresses? We (I'm maid of honor) are looking at a bunch of places but haven't found many that would work on the maids. None of David's bridal were right. Found one on Modcloth that would have worked, but it sold out. All of us maids are rather busty so we were hoping for a dress that wasn't strapless or had an illusion neckline.

This was the dress we liked: dress
Have you contacted Modcloth to see if they're planning on restocking soon? Might save you the trouble of searching.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Crowd sourcing a bit:
Where did you shop for bridesmaid dresses? We (I'm maid of honor) are looking at a bunch of places but haven't found many that would work on the maids. None of David's bridal were right. Found one on Modcloth that would have worked, but it sold out. All of us maids are rather busty so we were hoping for a dress that wasn't strapless or had an illusion neckline.

This was the dress we liked: dress
My bridesmaids loved the dresses from J. Crew (especially since they were able to find them for suuuuper cheap on e_bay since a lot of women sell them after being in a wedding). One of them even made money--she paid $40 for it and resold it on that site for more.

Also, a few of my larger-busted friends love this place for dresses (try not to be put off by the name): http://www.trashydiva.com/content.cfm?n=products&cat=11.

This one has an illusion neckline: http://www.trashydiva.com/shop/Lottie-Dress-p3013.html

Others that might work:
http://www.trashydiva.com/shop/Trash...ess-p3872.html
http://www.trashydiva.com/shop/Trash...ess-p3875.html

Good luck!
-GKC
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My bridesmaids dresses came from Dessy brands. I was very happy with them!

Quote:
Congrats on the wedding, and LITB!
Thank you!

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to go crazy if I don't figure out what I am doing for centerpieces. We aren't doing floral arrangements because they are expensive and would go to waste. We are getting married in a restaurant so I don't need anything extravagant. This whole "wedding" theme wedding is biting me in the ass now.

Help, please!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Some ideas from the wedding website that helped keep my sanity:

http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/01...g-decorations/
http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/10...lly-wilkinson/
http://apracticalwedding.com/2012/04...-table-runner/
http://apracticalwedding.com/2012/05...r-centerpiece/
http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/10...e-centerpiece/
http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/11...-centerpieces/

Good luck!

I <3 My KΣ
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
I am going to go crazy if I don't figure out what I am doing for centerpieces. We aren't doing floral arrangements because they are expensive and would go to waste. We are getting married in a restaurant so I don't need anything extravagant. This whole "wedding" theme wedding is biting me in the ass now.

Help, please!
What about some sort of floating candle in a bowl? I think those can be really pretty, and you can get the components at a craft store at a good price. Perhaps you could also have some floating flowers or rose petals without breaking the budget too much.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
What about some sort of floating candle in a bowl? I think those can be really pretty, and you can get the components at a craft store at a good price. Perhaps you could also have some floating flowers or rose petals without breaking the budget too much.
Floating candle bowl is a tad overdone, no?

Maybe clustering larger hurricanes with smaller ones.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all! I really like the vellum centerpiece idea that was linked above. Maybe I could do that in clusters?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Thanks all! I really like the vellum centerpiece idea that was linked above. Maybe I could do that in clusters?
I think that would be really pretty. Here's some other similar ideas that you could match more to your setting:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OyTHtkcCOz...00/d+0-529.jpg - too large for the post!

I <3 My KΣ
Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are a few things I have pinned on Pinterest. Of course, some of these items are for specific holidays, but you could do some kind of variation and use different items and colors to work for you.

Backless picture frames glued together, candle in the middle:

Popcorn kernels, red beans, peas:

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-03-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Engagement pictures. Yay or nay?
We can't figure out if we want them or not. On one hand it would be nice to have some recent pictures of us that don't involve other people. On the other hand it seems like an expense for no reason.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We can't figure out if we want them or not. On one hand it would be nice to have some recent pictures of us that don't involve other people. On the other hand it seems like an expense for no reason.
I've always wondered what the point of them was and recently I asked the question online. I found numerous people saying that the cost of the engagement pictures was included in the price for the wedding photographer. Many people said they weren't going to have them done, but they were paying for them anyway, so why not!

They said ultimately, it ended up being beneficial for them, as they got to work with their wedding photographer prior to the big day.

If you already have a photographer, ask them if the engagement pictures are included (although, I would hope they already would have talked to you about this). If you're still shopping, make sure to ask if these pictures are included in the cost.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-03-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We didn't do them with our wedding photographer, but with my maid of honor (who has her BFA in photography). An additional session of our choice was included in our wedding photographer's package, but due to scheduling issues (i.e. me not planning ahead soon enough, one scheduled weekend being nasty, windy weather and we mutually decided to cancel, and my husband's work schedule), I used that session as a bridal portraits session.

I think it's really, really important that you do have the opportunity to work with your photographer before the wedding. My husband wasn't at my bridals, but I knew that he would work well with the photographer, and he had "met" him over Skype. I wouldn't have wanted to get to my wedding day without knowing I enjoyed spending time with our photographer, and that I could trust him to document our day.

If they aren't included in your package, I'd look at the cost of adding them. I also like that we have some nice pictures of us together, where we're not in our wedding duds. I don't take a lot of pictures of us day in and day out, so those are valuable to me.

I <3 My KΣ
Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We are taking ours next weekend and they are included with our package. I don't know if we would have sprung for them otherwise. We don't have any decent pictures of us (being long distance will do that), and it's a good way to become comfortable with our photographers before the wedding day.

Thank you again for all the centerpiece ideas!