GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,388
3 members and 1,385 guests
AlwaysSAI, chironthearcher

Old 11-09-1999, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Seeking Hazing Stories

The website "Followers" website is looking for true hazing stories.

If you have a story, comment, or opinion about hazing, (or would just like to read other peoples stories) log on to www.followers.com.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-1999, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope that those of you who check this out are careful what you say at this site. This is real lize media and some of your stories could get out and be used without your permission.
Old 11-29-1999, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Heather,

This is not at all the case. The bulletin board at www.followers.com is meant only to create an open forum of discussion.

Already the bulletin board has had many interesting postings dealing with hazing, race relations in the Greek system, and other matters of concern.

The movie "Followers" is currently touring the country to help raise awareness to these issues. I hope you yourself will check the "Followers" site to see that we are not seeking stories for the purpose of entertainment, but discussion amongst a wide and diverse group.
Old 12-21-1999, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It just does not sound like the type of information that would portray Greek life in a positive light.... "Followers"? I would hope most Greeks would be "Leaders". Speaking for only myself, I'm not proud that hazing exists.... and I don't want it to continue. This forum seems only to serve that....

I was just warning the people out there to be careful.... if you sincerely want to get the discussion out there, I suggest you seek the endorsement of NPC and other National Greek Organizations.
Old 12-22-1999, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Heather,

I kind of thought the same thing when I 1st saw a post for Followers. But I checked it out, and have actually posted a couple of times on the site. There is a lot more than just random stories about hazing.

I think that they are merely trying to educate, and the film maker is a Greek, if that makes you feel any better. The story is more about racism & hazing is just one facet of that.

You're right, Greeks should be Leaders. Unfortunately, that isn't always true.

Old 12-26-1999, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

In case anyone has forgotten about the world we live in today, the media, if they get their hands on any story about hazing, would blow it so out of proportion that Dateline ould be having a thing about it each night for 3 weeks! The reason that the Greek System in general is failing is because people keep bringing up the past and what used to be done. Move on, set some new traditions, and be proud that we, as Greeks, should be and will be able to chane our life, our school, and our nation in general if we try hard enough.
Old 01-21-2000, 09:01 AM
Banned

Smile

Greg,
How can you call deaths from being blown out of proportion? I know how. You have no sense of decency or respect for others. What if a parent of a dead child read your response? All of your other responses to me were negative, but this response was foolish, stupid, and heartless.

Wildgoose,

Go to my website, from the greekchat and call me. I have many stories to tell. In my book, I have a section called 25+ ways to haze. I also have about 10 accounts of hazing activities.
Old 01-21-2000, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Fred,

You obviously are the one with no decency or respect for others. Look at yourself and what you write in this forum! All you have done is try to make people feel like they are less of a person. Have a little respect for us. We didn't ask you to make comments about us as people. I didn't ask to be attacked by you. Stop trying to cause trouble and get out! Why do hang around? If you have personal e-mail with some of the members of this site, than do that e-mail them. This is a greek chat network. You are not greek, you do not like greeks, and you are not going to increase book sales by coming in here and reciting lines from it. Your opinion has be declared over and over agian. We got the point a long time ago that you don't approve of greek life. You don't have to keep preaching it to us. Why do you try to cause trouble, what is the point. We have our own beliefs stop trying the change them. You talk about respect, you don't show any! How can you be such a hypocrite!!! If you are going to talk about respect you should at least show some. You don't think that we are Christians because we are greek, that the two can not coexist together. Fine. You believe that. But you aren't going to change my belief that you are a nut. You aren't going to change my belief that you are a hypocrite. You aren't going to change my belief that college greek life and christianity can both be obtained by one person. You aren't greek and you don't like greeks, so stop coming here. Than everyone's life would be a lot easier. We wouldn't have you barking at us all the time and we can discuss the things that this network was designed for. The improvement of greek life in this country. Then you can go spend more of your time writing your book or going to church. Yes, I do think you harrass greeks. If you were following any of us around everyday and saying this stuff to us, we would all have to get restraining orders agianst you. You are making me uncomfortable and one person's feelings should be enough for you to keep your mouth shut and not offend any of us any longer.
Old 01-24-2000, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to respond to Greg's posting regarding the media and hazing.

Greg, you stated that the media is responsible for blowing episodes of hazing out of proportion and "The reason that the Greek System in general is failing is because people keep bringing up the past".

First of all, let me state I don't believe the Greek system is failing. To state however, that all the problems facing the Greek system today are from past instances, is simply untrue.

I often hear people blaming the media for the predominately negative reputation garnered by the public regarding the Greek system. I don't personally think blaming the media is the answer, but rather getting to the core of the problem. Look at that idiot from Michigan who shot the pledge in the penis with a bb gun. The media ate that up. Now whose fault is that? The media's? Or that prick from Michigan who was on a power trip.

It's often one or several individuals who are causing the problem. Just one instance like the one in Michigan can cause irrepirable damage. Weeding these people out is the only way to make it stop.

The movie "Followers" itself is based on an actual racial hazing incident. It demonstrates the damage one individual can do to an entire organization.
www.followers.com
Old 01-25-2000, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I just looked at the followers site and I think that it is all about race, not greeks. Just because there was at one time, and maybe even today, a racist in charge it is not the greek systems fault. No one made those guys do what they did, they did it on their own accord. Hazing is makeing someone do something, if it is wrong to you and you don't believe in it, don't do it. You can't be wrong if you do what YOU want to do. Granted, some people are ment to be lead, but they also have a mind of their own.

------------------
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, which is, which was, which is to come.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdzkm433 View Post
Fred,

You obviously are the one with no decency or respect for others. Look at yourself and what you write in this forum! All you have done is try to make people feel like they are less of a person. Have a little respect for us. We didn't ask you to make comments about us as people. I didn't ask to be attacked by you. Stop trying to cause trouble and get out! Why do hang around? If you have personal e-mail with some of the members of this site, than do that e-mail them. This is a greek chat network. You are not greek, you do not like greeks, and you are not going to increase book sales by coming in here and reciting lines from it. Your opinion has be declared over and over agian. We got the point a long time ago that you don't approve of greek life. You don't have to keep preaching it to us. Why do you try to cause trouble, what is the point. We have our own beliefs stop trying the change them. You talk about respect, you don't show any! How can you be such a hypocrite!!! If you are going to talk about respect you should at least show some. You don't think that we are Christians because we are greek, that the two can not coexist together. Fine. You believe that. But you aren't going to change my belief that you are a nut. You aren't going to change my belief that you are a hypocrite. You aren't going to change my belief that college greek life and christianity can both be obtained by one person. You aren't greek and you don't like greeks, so stop coming here. Than everyone's life would be a lot easier. We wouldn't have you barking at us all the time and we can discuss the things that this network was designed for. The improvement of greek life in this country. Then you can go spend more of your time writing your book or going to church. Yes, I do think you harrass greeks. If you were following any of us around everyday and saying this stuff to us, we would all have to get restraining orders agianst you. You are making me uncomfortable and one person's feelings should be enough for you to keep your mouth shut and not offend any of us any longer.
I would hope that others recognize the short-sightedness of mgdzkm433's response to Fred. Its embarrassing to see such an ignorant defense of the Greek system. Ever heard of an ad hominem argument? Look into it.

Mgdzkm433, you suggest that it's heretical to speak out against your own organization or the organizations of others. It isn't--- as far as the integrity of the Greek system is concerned, speaking out is the only way to ensure that each and every fraternity and sorority's values match up with their behavior.

Being a good Greek doesn't mean you have to only Think Greek. You've got to look around and see the reality of your situation in order to accomplish what the fraternity is about. You've got to listen to those outside the organization to see some of the flaws within the organization. As a Greek you may know more about certain aspects of your fraterity. BUT, as a Greek you wearing rose-colored glasses that prevent you from seeing any of your wrongs.

True, there may be some cohesive value to hazing...but the consideration of other methodology to establish fraternal bonds isn't such a bad idea. You're ultimately trying to bring everyone together, right? So why not pursue other means to reach the same ends? Is it always necessary to psychologically exploit incoming Freshman in order to create frateral ubiquity?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaker View Post
I would hope that others recognize the short-sightedness of mgdzkm433's response to Fred. Its embarrassing to see such an ignorant defense of the Greek system.
It's embarrassing that you're replying directly to someone's post that is well over SEVEN YEARS old.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
It's embarrassing that you're replying directly to someone's post that is well over SEVEN YEARS old.
LOL. Yeah really.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Not only that, but mgdzkm433 hasn't logged in for well over six years.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Not only that, but mgdzkm433 hasn't logged in for well over six years.
LOL, I was like

Fred Hatchett, wondering what he is doing these days?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!