GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,261
0 members and 2,261 guests
No Members online

Old 03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
FAMU suspends Kappa Alpha Psi chapter until 2013

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...36/1010/NEWS01

Florida A&M University has suspended a fraternity under investigation by the Sheriff's Office for hazing until 2013.

Kappa Alpha Psi Inc. is under investigation by the Leon County Sheriff's Office for an incident in which Marcus Jones, a 19-year-old sophomore from Decatur, Ga., reportedly was beaten severely for four days in late February while pledging to the fraternity. His injuries required surgery.

FAMU records show that the undergraduate Alpha Xi chapter of the fraternity received at least five cease-and-desist orders from the national Kappa Alpha Psi organization since 1999, university spokeswoman LaNedra Carroll said in a release Tuesday. The fraternity was suspended from FAMU from 2000 to 2003.

Administrators issued the suspension today, said Vincent June, vice president for student affairs, in the news release.

"We did this based on the research that showed a pattern of alleged behavior with this chapter," June said. "We just feel they need more time to be rehabilitated."

According to the FAMU Policy and Procedures manual, the fraternity does have the right to appeal the school's decision.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

From my understanding, Florida Law has become very strict concerning hazing issues... what will happen to those involved with this incident?? the individual brothers i mean...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot will depend on who was envolved.

If even a few were envolved, the Chapter is gone. The individuals can be charged, arrested, jailed and go to court.

This sort of thing is ridiculous and has to stop.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if students are aware of the severe consequences that may result from hazing. Frankly, I am willing to assume that hazing occurs on most college campuses..... every semester, GLOs risk getting caught...

Is the risk worth keeping tradition?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Greekopedia
From my understanding, Florida Law has become very strict concerning hazing issues... what will happen to those involved with this incident?? the individual brothers i mean...
If convicted, it's a felony according to the new laws passed last session.

The thing that's even sadder is that the boy's father is a Kappa.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
If convicted, it's a felony according to the new laws passed last session.

The thing that's even sadder is that the boy's father is a Kappa.
The Florida hazing law can be accessed at

http://www.stophazing.org/laws/fl_law.htm

The text of the law has links to the Florida laws that stipulate applicable prison sentences and fines for various degrees of felonies.

I agree with PenguinTrax; it's sad that the young man's father is a Kappa.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
The Florida hazing law can be accessed at

http://www.stophazing.org/laws/fl_law.htm

The text of the law has links to the Florida laws that stipulate applicable prison sentences and fines for various degrees of felonies.

I agree with PenguinTrax; it's sad that the young man's father is a Kappa.
That makes me wonder if the father actually approves of the hazing.... allowing his son to go experience what he went through???
Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That makes me wonder if the father actually approves of the hazing.... allowing his son to go experience what he went through???
Absolutely not - his father came out vehemently opposed to this event and is strongly anti-hazing.

Here's a link to the article (cached in google): http://snipurl.com/oetb

Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
http://snipurl.com/oetb
That's a tough article.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder if the hazers are really that brutal, or if this is something that got totally out of hand.

In either event, it is a sad situation which hurts the entire Greek System -- not just the chapter and fraternity involved.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
No, not the Rock! (Alpha Xi Chapter)

Their website was off the chain and they had some of the tightest looking pro show pics through the years.

It's a shame they got suspended over some foolishness.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
No, not the Rock! (Alpha Xi Chapter)

Their website was off the chain and they had some of the tightest looking pro show pics through the years.

yes, it is and it's hit the FAMU and FSU Greek communities hard. Unfortunately, the chapter had a history of problems - they just came back to campus a little over 2 years ago.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
Beating someone to the point that he needs surgery is slightly beyond "some foolishness"
Old 04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes it goes way beyond foolishness it becomes foolhardy. Why jeopardize yourself, your chapter, and your organization simply beause you want the "respect" of your so called brothers. Cases like this truly sicken me and makes me wonder about the members who purport to uphold this kind of behavior. Obviously, foresight, and the concern of others -besides themselves and their reputation never crossed their minds.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wonder if students are aware of the severe consequences that may result from hazing. Frankly, I am willing to assume that hazing occurs on most college campuses..... every semester, GLOs risk getting caught...

Is the risk worth keeping tradition?
beating people to the point of surgery is NOT tradition; it's brutality.

and this thing the school said:

"We did this based on the research that showed a pattern of alleged behavior with this chapter," June said. "We just feel they need more time to be rehabilitated."

if these grown people cannot refrain from this type of behavior after being repeatedly suspended, perhaps there is not any realistic hope of "rehabilitation".

and finally, with regard to the victim's father being a Kappa, i am a firm believer that the NPHC fraternity or sorority that becomes the first to be completely extinct due to a mega-hazing lawsuit will not be because of some person from afar, but rather it will be a member of an NPCH org who had their son or daughter go through this kind of ordeal.

this kind of behavior is just NOT okay and... if people are going to continue to participate in these pledge activities that they know are no longer required or authorized by the NPHC or any of its affiliate organizations, they need to know when to say, "i quit" because no matter how much you may want in to the frat or the sorority, its just not worth your life or you dignity.
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi
Old 12-05-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chucktown2bc06
FAMU trial on Court TV

I am not a member of KAPsi, but I wonder if anyone noticed the playboi bunny lapel that the boys father wore while he was being questioned on the stand. didnt the Polemarch ask all Kappas to quit associating the playboy bunny with the organization due to the threat of lawsuit from Playboy?
Talk about some who is loyal to the orders of thier organization!