GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,526
0 members and 1,526 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2001, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Who is considered a legacy?

Sorry if I sound ignorant! I was just wondering...if my sister is an Alum of Kappa Delta, am I a legacy? (None of my other family members are Greeks.)

Also, if I don't join KD when I get to college, do other sororities put in any weight to the fact that I am a legacy (that is, if I am a legacy! LOL )? Or do they not care?

Thanks a lot!!

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited February 23, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-24-2001, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes I think you are a legacy. So that's what Kappa Delta means its a sority. I was at a party tonight at a fraternity a bunch of my friends are in, and kappa delta was carved on the wall. But there are no kappa deltas at my school. you seem like a great girl, and I don't think any one would hold being a legacy against you, if that's what you mean. Good luck with everything, but don't slack off in high school. I know it sucks, but only for a few more months.

[This message has been edited by Billy Optimist (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old 02-24-2001, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Newbie - Yes, you're a legacy if your sister was a Kappa Delta. The only people who will probably consider this would be Kappa Delta, who might contact you when you get to college once they find out who all the legacies on campus are, and invite you to check them out during Rush Week.
As far as the other organizations weighing this as a factor, it probably won't happen.
You may choose to go Kappa Delta, and you may not - one of my sisters was a legacy, but it took her a long time to decide to go with our sorority - but she didn't regret it.
I know many legacies who don't pledge their families chapter.

------------------
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Eta
Old 02-24-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

when i was rushing the fact that i was a legacy to DZ came up,and we don't have a chpater here. however, it was not a oh my god we have to have her, but it was good to the chapters in the sense that i knew what i was getting into, and i had some experience or notion of greek life. i wasn't just looking for a party to them, i was aware of all the work it took to be in a sorority. SO, on that note.....good luck with the rest of HS!
Old 02-24-2001, 08:06 PM

Smile

You may want to check the national webpage for KD. I know my nationals has our legacy policy out there for anyone to read.

But we consider nieces, cousins and stepdaughters/stepsisters legacys too. But as w/ most sororities being a legacy just means that they're a lot more reluctant to drop you. Nothing's guraranteed.

As for my chapter, we definitely paid attention if a girl was a legacy to another chapter. We'd pay extra attention to anything she said about that chapter too.

For instance, one rushee told be "My sister is an XYZ, I guess chapters really do vary from school to school." After she said this, I was no longer terrified that we would lose her to them. If I thought she was dying to be one, I would've suggested dropping her earlier. Why waste time w/ a girl that is unlikely to be dropped by her favorite house?

Another thing we paid attention to is how active the alum is in that sorority. One legacy's mother was a regional officer. A chapter would be nuts to drop her. Again, why waste time w/ girls you know you're not going to get?

Maybe my chapter is an exception by paying so much attention to other chapters legacies. But it's such a good feeling when you get other houses legacies to join yours.
Old 02-24-2001, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you guys for answering all of my questions!! You guys are great

I'm not sure if I want to go KD or not, it will all depend on what happens at Rush, and which houses I like best! I can't wait for college!!!

Thanks for the advice for not slacking off in HS...yes, it's very hard, but I know that I shouldn't (I've heard all those horror stories about colleges taking back the acceptances because the student dropped in GPA dramatically)! Also, yup, I know that I won't be guaranteed anything because I am a legacy Have a great rest of teh weekend guys!!

P.S. Oh, also, would sororities know you are a legacy if you didn't tell them?

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old 02-24-2001, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

is one still considered a legacy if her biological sister, aunt, mother, etc. went inactive? or no?
Old 02-25-2001, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI
I know other people have asked about whether they are legacy if their aunt or cousin was XYZ. And although the answer is "no" you could still have them write a recommendation to their sorority.
And keep in mind, legacy does not mean automatic in. I know with my sorority if a legacy is invited back to the last party, we are obligated to give her an invitation. However, there have been times when we've met a legacy who does not fit in with us and we let them go. It happens a lot, not just with us!
Good luck!
Old 02-25-2001, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Usually a legacy is defined as someone whose sister, mother, or grandmother was initiated into any chapter of that sorority. Aunts or cousins would not count with many sororities. Step-relatives may or may not count.

If you are a true legacy, and the sorority has a chapter at the school you'll be rushing at, have your sister, mom, or grandma send in a legacy form for you if the sorority has those, even if you have indicated on your registration forms that you are a legacy. If you don't tell them you're a legacy, they won't know, and it won't help you!

If your sister is a recent alum and you're attending the same school, the girls from her chapter will definitely pay close attention to you. You are almost the most desirable sort of legacy.

If a more distant relative is a sister, but you don't qualify as a legacy because of her, still have her send in a recommendation form. Recs are key at a lot of southern schools, and they can only help anywhere you are. Give your recommender a few headshot photos of you to submit with her rec form. This helps the chapter get familiar with you before rush starts.

With many of the NPC sororities, being a legacy does not guarantee that you'll get a bid. With my group, if you are a legacy but we don't like you, we have to cut you pretty early on. If you make it to the later rounds, you're in, since we don't want to string legacies along if we know they'll be cut eventually... it makes alums mad.

The only people who should care that you are a legacy is the chapter that you are a legacy to. The other chapters may be aware that you are a legacy somewhere else, but this won't make them lose interest in you. I know we especially delight in stealing legacies from the houses that we directly compete with during rush. It may make the others want you even more.
Old 02-25-2001, 12:21 AM

Newbie--at the beginning of rush you'll fill out an info form about yourself. It'll have a spot to list the chapters you're a legacy to. All the chapters will get that info. Your sister may send the chapter a letter of introduction. Also many times rushees will be asked if there are any Greeks in their family.

If NONE of that happens, then the chapters MIGHT not find out your a legacy.
Old 02-25-2001, 12:49 AM

From the fraternity point of view, at least Delta Tau Delta would consider a legacy someone who's father, brother (biological) or grandfather is/was a Delt from any chapter.

I don't think uncles or cousins who are Delts would make you a legacy, but it would certainly carry some weight.

DeltAlum
Old 02-25-2001, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carrot:
is one still considered a legacy if her biological sister, aunt, mother, etc. went inactive? or no?
If she just went inactive for a semester or 2, yes. If she terminated/disaffiliated, no. To terminate is basically to have your membership stripped of you or you renounce it. Inactive just means that for $$/school/other reasons, the woman was not able to participate fully in the sorority, but she is still a sister.

Old 02-25-2001, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carrot:
YES! As long as she was an initiated member who wasn't "kicked out", then her sisteR(s) and future daughters will be legacies.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

at my college, rushees indicate on their rush registration form if they are a legacy to any of the sororities on campus. my chapter knows where each rushee is a legacy, whether it's us or not. we don't know if a rushee has recommendations for other houses.

a piece of rush advice--if you think you might not go with your legacy, be sure to be extra-enthusiastic during other houses' rush parties. let them know (not in so many words) that they have a real chance of stealing you away. don't let them assume you'll follow your legacy. you could be cut if they get the feeling you'll just go with the legacy, since there's no point in keeping you on if you'll just cut the house later on during rush, taking someone else's spot who might really have wanted the house. make them feel like they have a great chance with you, and they'll take the risk.