GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,632
0 members and 1,632 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2002, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Would this be considered hazing?

Our sisterhood chair is the most wonderful girl in our chapter. She's the reason that the majority of our pledge class even went back the seecond night of rush. she comes to all of our pledge events, did an amazing job with retreat, is always there when ANY of us needs her, and has dropped her plans when a group of pledges showed up at her house needing a place to stay. She happens to be German, and the president and treasurer are constantly calling her "dirty nazi", "jew killer", and several other horrible things. They laugh, but she is so upset she's close to quitting the sorority. I've never seen her cry - she's normally the most cheerful, loving person I've ever met. She's been here four years, and puts so much work and love into everything. This isn't the only bad treatment they've dished out to her, but this is what's upset her most. Is this hazing? How can it be handled?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
That's shameful. I am so sorry about your sister. This makes me so angry. There is no need for behaviour like this and to attack a fellow sister who wasn't even alive during WW2 is ridiculos. Is there some other underlying event that is causing these 2 girls to be so hateful and nasty? or are they just naturally bitches...I'm sorry I don't know them, but there is no need to behave like they are behaving. This is just so angry and upsetting. I think if anyone should leave it should be these 2 girls...and for the president to be saying these things its even worse. How does the rest of the chapter feel? I don't know if it is considered hazing. But these 2 should be reported to your international officers and should be delt with accordingly. if not HQ then bring it up to standards. This needs to be delt with now before things gets worse. I'm sorry if I just rambled but this has just angered me.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

well, one of the girls is my big sis, and she's not really a bitch in all areas. I like her, but I'm very disappointed. Our sisterhood chair is also the head of the standards board. I was angry enough to email our national membership person, who responded immediately, and we're talking tomorrow. I know that some of the girls in the chapter will be upset that a mere pledge had the nerve to email NEB about this, but I just love her to death and no one should be treating her this way, least of all her sisters who profess to love her and be her closest friends. If it pisses them off enough to not activate me, then oh well. I'd rather be involved with an organization where the officers treat there members with respect. (These 2 aren't representative of the whole chapter. The majority are exceptional, loving, and just plain awesome.)

Last edited by MTSUGURL; 11-08-2002 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Well that's good. I'm glad you're going to talk to someone about it, because you're right no one desrves to be treated this way. And you're right if they choose not to activate you this is not an organization that you should belong too. Your international officer will know how to handle this properly, and you can ask to remain anonymous about this if you fear that you maybe be targeted in someway. I hope everything works out and that this problem is resolved quickly and properly. Let us know how things go.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Simply put: YES this is hazing. It is a situation that is created intentionally or unintenionally that creates discomfort and/or embarassment. It should not be done. The problem here is that since these girls are officers they are putting your entire chapter (and charter) at risk with their behavior. I wouldn't go straight to your HQ because they usually take pretty strong action that you might not be ready for. It doesn't sound like the problem is widespread or out of control. Best if you handle this matter internally if possible and then ask for help if necessary.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-09-2002, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

...............Agreed! Hazing doesn't just have to involve an active to new member; sisters can be hazed by sisters.............so sad! But happy someone is coming to provide some assistance.

Iris
Old 11-09-2002, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the support ya'll. I didn't hear from the lady at nationals yesterday, but I expect to soon. Nothing is really regulated in our chapter - by the campus I mean. We're not part of panhellenic or any other council. We're just kind of left t our own, and although in some ways it's nice, I wish that we had someone here to help us with things like this.

Last edited by MTSUGURL; 11-18-2002 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Thanks for the support ya'll. I didn't hear from the lady at nationals yesterday, but I expect to soon. Nothing is really regulated in our chapter - by the campus I mean. We're not part of panhellenic or any other council. We're just kind of left t our own, and although in some ways it's nice, I wish that we had someone here to help us with things like this.
A lot of state laws address hazing. If nothing else your DA will back you up
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-09-2002, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Sure it's hazing, but even if it weren't, it's just plain cruel. You shouldn't need to resort to state law to get sisters to treat each other decently.

Ivy
Old 11-09-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Your sisterhood chair is lucky to have a sister like you pulling for her. Good luck, and let us know how this all goes.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gibbieWVU Send a message via Yahoo to gibbieWVU
Unhappy

I couldn't help but read through this...most schools have hazing policies which describe fairly well what hazing is or can be. Good luck on finding information out
Old 11-18-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm being taken to standards

Well, last night one of the officers was on the phone with the woman I sent the email to, for a completely different matter, and the woman asked her about my email. She and my big called our sisterhood chair immediately. Four of us happened to be over at her house, and as soon as she hung up and said she wanted to find out who sent the email, I admitted to it because I didn't feel it was right to hide it. Long story short, the entire chapter, including the sisterhood chair, is extremely pissed at me and I'm being taken before standards this Sunday. I'm willing to admit that I may have overreacted and didn't handle things correctly, but I don't think I'm the one that was exhibiting the wrong behavior. I've thought about depledging for awhile because of several different reasons, and I'm seriously considering it now. I want to be in an organization where the members treat each other with respect and care about one another, and I want the sisterhood that I hear people talk about. I haven't seen it here. Advice please?!

Crystal
Old 11-18-2002, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

wow. well the good news is that the standards meeting is confidential. you can voice your concerns to the standards committee about the way your sister was being treated. you can also ask them for advice on how to handle situations like this in the future. being new to the group, you may not have known your options of who to talk to etc. DO NOT feel badly about contacting your national officers. these women are here to help you. the chapter is probably going to get some extra help from your national office, but it sounds like it might need it. has any of your sisters explained the process of being brought to standards? you really need to talk to someone about this! don't stress about this. keep us posted!
Old 11-18-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I'm being taken to standards

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Well, last night one of the officers was on the phone with the woman I sent the email to, for a completely different matter, and the woman asked her about my email. She and my big called our sisterhood chair immediately. Four of us happened to be over at her house, and as soon as she hung up and said she wanted to find out who sent the email, I admitted to it because I didn't feel it was right to hide it. Long story short, the entire chapter, including the sisterhood chair, is extremely pissed at me and I'm being taken before standards this Sunday. I'm willing to admit that I may have overreacted and didn't handle things correctly, but I don't think I'm the one that was exhibiting the wrong behavior. I've thought about depledging for awhile because of several different reasons, and I'm seriously considering it now. I want to be in an organization where the members treat each other with respect and care about one another, and I want the sisterhood that I hear people talk about. I haven't seen it here. Advice please?!

Crystal
then your sisters are fake. if they want to pop mess and get mad becuase you ratted them out, then they should have kept their mouths shut in the first place. if someone has something smart to say, they should be prepared to reap the consequences. forget the entire sisterhood chair thing, obviously she doesn't have it at heart.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmmm

I don't think it's hazing really, but it is definitely harrassment and discrimination-which are illegal in all states. I mean, what would your "sisters" think if you called one of them a racial slur or "fat" or a "redneck" or a "wop" or a "Kyke" so something. Would it be so funny then? Could they laugh at themselves like they laugh at her? If one of them had a retarded brother and you were constantly calling people retards I bet $1,000 you'd hear about it. Sounds like a coupla bitches to me......