GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
4 members and 1,432 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-14-2002, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Evaluating your RC vendors

What did you all think about the vendors at your respective RCs? Were you pleased with them? Were their prices too astronimical for your budget? Any concerns? Sorority sisters, if you haven't had your conference yet, pay closer attention to them and report back to us your findings.

I was at one because I wanted this particular item. He told me it was a certain price, I was like . Maybe, if I come back closer to the end of the conference, the price would be reduced. Puhlleeze, that so and so went UP on the price. I was too outdone.

It seemed to me that there were not too many vendors. I can remember where there were many more vendors at a conference. Maybe the reason was that our sisters in Florida were also having their RC at the same time we were.

BTW, was the vendor that sold the "AKA" cross-trainers there? One of my chapter members still has not received her shoes that she ordered from the RC LAST year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

The Great Lakes Regional Conference is at the end of this month. I'll let you know when I return.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Cali

Far West Regional Conference starts two weeks from Wednesday. I will pay attention to the vendors, and report back.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Sorors:

I thought the vendors were fine at Central Regional Conference, though I was only looking and making my list of wants for Boule. There was more space this year (due to the larger venue) than last, and it seemed like we had many more non-paraphenalia vendors selling items like leather goods, clothing, shoes, etc. (which was fine, except that I got my heart broken by trying on a sharp pink suit whose skirt was just a little too tight!).

I saw the sneaker vendor at our conference, but since I've never ordered from them, I can't speak to your chapter soror's issue with shoe delivery, Soror 2D.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror 2D, I think we had your vendors

It seemed to me that there were not too many vendors. I can remember where there were many more vendors at a conference. Maybe the reason was that our sisters in Florida were also having their RC at the same time we were.

THANKS for letting us borrow some. There were plenty of vendors at our SARC, but then again I do not have anything to reference it to as it was my first. The shoe guys were there but they had many shoes there with them to sell, we had very few of the non-nelia vendors there for the most part the prices were decent, we had this one vendor who keep telling everyone that the jogging suits they were selling were the last one, but even on the last day she was still selling them to peps, go figure.
I don't know if any of u guys every experienced this but on the last day the vendors were there, a bunch of Delta's were up in there and we trippin ( we were like was that a delta i just saw) I mean they were nelia down, it was about eight to ten of them up in there acting like they belonged, I thought is was a little tacky, especially with them knowing that it was an AKA event...

Being that I am a neo, I was buying stuff left and right, incense, jewelry, bags, pillows, t-shirts, most vendors were selling their t-shirts for like $5, I bought shirts for my sons (inspiring Alpha, KAY), my niece (an AKA girl (no choice Mom and Aunt)), my Mom because she is so proud of her girls, and plenty for me.... Hey I was even able to obtain the ever so popular APOLOGY shirt...

I CANT WAIT 4 Boule, hopefully I will find some more new stuff.

Cant help that Neo"itis"
Old 04-15-2002, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlMighty14
Hey I was even able to obtain the ever so popular APOLOGY shirt...[/B]
Girrrrrl... I am loving that shirt! My LS's that went to regional conference bought them for everybody on our line. Trust they will be worn at some choice events... How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Quote:
Originally posted by AlMighty14

Hey I was even able to obtain the ever so popular APOLOGY shirt...

Sorors, what is the "Apology" shirt? I didn't notice anything like this at CRC.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes...it is rather cute...

I have the shirt as well...the only thing I hate is that you know there's going to be a DST Apology, SGRho Apology and ZPHIB Apology shirt. It takes away when you have all orgs. with the same dang on shirt on with basically the same message...........

A few years ago, I stopped buying shirts like that. I simply opted to buy the ones that say AKA -- 'cause you know our letters simply 'speak' for themselves.

Last edited by Happydaysf91; 04-16-2002 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Yes...it is rather cute...

Quote:
Originally posted by Happydaysf91
I have the shirt as well...the only thing I hate is that you know there's going to be a DST Apology, SGRho Apology and ZPHIB Apology shirt. It takes away when you have all orgs. with the same dang on shirt on with basically the same message.......
Yes soror I agree with u on that... but for soror DG and all other sorors who have not seen the shirt, it goes like this
on the front it states:
The Apology
on the back it states:
I'm Sorry You're Not A Member Of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
I'm sorry you're not an AKA.
I'm sorry you'll never be an AKA.
I'm sorry pretty girls wear twenty pearls.
I'm sorry you can't say, "skee-wee."
I'm sorry men like me and you want to be like me.
I'm sorry the grass is always greener on the AKA side.
I'm sorry life is a reflection of the choices you've made.
I'm sorry you didn't make the right choice.
I'm sorry some things never change.
I'm sorry the truth hurts.
I'm sorry you're sorry

It is just the preeeeeeeeetiest shirt ....

Skeeeeeeeeee Weeeeeeeee to all my wonderful sorors that I have met and to all those I have yet to meet...
Old 04-16-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember that shirt.

Now, the vendors are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. It would not have surprised me if we would have seen other greeks in the room. I did see a Delta on her way, I assumed to the public luncheon. She simply had on a rhinestone pin. I didn't see any "groups of anyone", but Sorors.

When they have their convention in your area, you too probably can venture out to their vendors, you don't have to be all "para out".
Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

vendors....

one of my friends & i helped out a vendor before at a conference, and while it may be that there were several conferences going on at the same time, the cost to attend can be a huge factor also...i remember being told by the person we were working for that members (i won't name which conference/organization it was) will often wait & come back toward the end of the conference looking for discounts...we were, under no circumstances, suppose to offer those types of discounts...however, discounts were given based on the volume of merchandise purchased...now i don't understand why any vendor would raise their price (unless that item was going like hotcakes)....it's just that you need to look at it from the vendor's point of view...they are there to make money....& just like you're looking for a "price break", so are another 20-30 people every hour...it costs them money to attend, just like it costs you (& i'm sure it's actually a whole lot more than it cost you)...especially when you figure in the cost of the license, the merchandise, transport to & from the conference, the room & board, labor (i didn't work for free )...and, when the vendor revealed to me how much some of the licenses of the different orgs cost (woo doggy!)...just a different point of view...
Old 04-17-2002, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Jacked up prices ANYWAY!

They are making their money. If the market wasn't lucrative, they would be in another line of business.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

<<<They are making their money. If the market wasn't lucrative, they would be in another line of business.>>>

hey, you know the vendor i worked for is in another line of business in addition to this vendoring thing (so, i guess that proves my point )....and, maybe the prices are "jacked up anyway" to offset the discounts that people seem to want...
Old 04-17-2002, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Not necessarily want, many of the vendors WILLINGLY advertised reduced merchandise and were more than willing to NEGOTIATE.

Yes, I'm going to want a reduced price, especially If I go around the bend and ANOTHER vendor has the SAME item for a cheaper price. I was PO after I found out that a Soror was selling something I had purchased from another vendor at a cheaper price.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear ya...

and, can understand where you're coming from...I'd venture to say that most vendors are very small businesses, run (as i eluded to before) only on a part time basis. So, vendor A may have purchased more widgets than vendor B...thereby allowing vendor A to undercut vendor B's prices...they all have markups...to cover their operating costs & to make a little profit (can't grow a business by only breaking even)...Also, you know, it may be the flea market-like setting that makes people feel it's appropriate to haggle...

Have you ever seen those pins or t-shirts that say "I buy Black, I give Back"...The Black dollar has power indeed, but I don't think that the whites, koreans, japanese, etc. really fear us taking that "power" elsewhere...because they know that we'll go to joe "white guy" & pay exactly what he has posted as the price...while we'll go to dexter "dred" & ask for a hook up....I believe it's the "my brotha, my sistah" stigma...which, can help explain why you might find customer service and/or goods to be sub-par at some Black businesses...Just because we two happen to be the same race doesn't mean you should put any less than your best foot forward...it kind of goes along the lines of what's his name that sold BET...that was his business, he received a lucrative offer for it & jumped at the offer...some screamed "sell out" & "irresponsible"...but, he doesn't know any of us & wasn't about to allow people who just happen to be his same race dictate how he handled his business...but, I digress (as this is getting off subject).

I commend the BGLO's for supporting & working to make the world community the best it can be, in particular the Black community. However, don't go to your brotha/sistah & ask them to accept less for their goods or services, when you wouldn't ask joe "white guy" for the same.

I plan to start my own business some day, and I pledge to provide the same exceptional service & products to dexter "dred", as I do to joe "white guy"....so long as neither one of them asks me for a discount...