GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,255
0 members and 1,255 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Because there is too much constant stimulation and things to think about nowadays, and people are either not built to take it all or lazy. If you write off a whole group because of something one person did that gives you one less thing to think about. Side note: this applies to all sides of the political spectrum.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
It's a sick world the virtue signaling left wants us to live in.
I was with you until you made it political.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I was with you until you made it political.
Then where else is this coming from? There is only one small but vocal portion of America that sees racism in everything that happens and tells white men they aren't allowed to speak or have an opinion.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Then where else is this coming from? There is only one small but vocal portion of America that sees racism in everything that happens and tells white men they aren't allowed to speak or have an opinion.
I'd call it its own thing. Saying this is left vs. right is a false dichotomy. There are many on "the left" who do believe teenagers should be expelled from their schools, physically intimidated, harassed, etc., for expressing something inappropriate. There are others who strongly err on the side of speech--even heinous and shocking speech, should be free, that schools should lack the power to expel or penalize individuals for PC crimes.

And people who say that I can't have an opinion for being a white male are just as bad as the white men who believe others have no voice. It's exactly the same sort of oppression.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Its coming from people who want to say and do what they want.

Its coming from the fact that the internet is forever.

Its coming from people who think that every little thing they do needs to be posted on the internet.

Its coming from organizations who don't want to get sued out of existence.

Even in my own organization, a NPHC org, just the slightest hint of hazing or misbehavior would get a chapter and chapter members disciplined.

And I echo the comment that this does not have to get political. This is not a left vs. right issue. This is an issue that impacts all orgs in Greek Life.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

But where does the destroy everyone for something they said, come from? People have listed the symptoms of it, but not the cause.

We have people losing their jobs and livelihoods over stupid things they did or said ten, twenty, and thirty years ago.

A guy raises a million dollars for a worthy charity and he's destroyed because of a tweet he put out when he was a young teenager? Is that really the kind of country we want to live in where we hold every person's thought and word from the time they are a tween over them for the rest of their life?

I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on. If you did something stupid or that would now be considered horrific by the social justice police, I don't think you should lose your job or be destroyed by the Twitter mob and the people who live and die with them.

This destroy at all costs mentality did not exist in our culture until the past six or seven years. Where is it coming from? It's not coming from both sides.

I don't want my organization or the NPC to be racists or even seen as racist. I also don't want them destroying young women in college because they said something stupid. But we have been trained to be terrified of a small, vocal minority in this country to the point that we're making stupid decisions as organizations.

Which goes back to my original point. We wonder why kids and young adults are so physically and mentally ill when this is the world they are living in? How can they not be? It's not healthy.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This destroy at all costs mentality did not exist in our culture until the past six or seven years. Where is it coming from? It's not coming from both sides.
It's absolutely coming from both sides.

I didn't want to contribute to the hijacking of this thread, as I know we're not here to discuss politics. But to think that the vitriol in this country is coming only from the left is myopic. The "us vs. them" mentality is strong in America, and it's definitely not limited to one side of the political aisle.

As to your last comment, I suspect the physical and mental woes of our young people will continue until the adults in the room can treat others with respect, regardless of their political stance. And this needs to happen on both sides.

But I totally agree with you that college should be an ideal/safe place to make mistakes, correct them/learn from them, and grow. I remember when it used to be, and wish it still were. I assure you that people across the political spectrum have contributed to the change.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But where does the destroy everyone for something they said, come from? People have listed the symptoms of it, but not the cause.

We have people losing their jobs and livelihoods over stupid things they did or said ten, twenty, and thirty years ago.

A guy raises a million dollars for a worthy charity and he's destroyed because of a tweet he put out when he was a young teenager? Is that really the kind of country we want to live in where we hold every person's thought and word from the time they are a tween over them for the rest of their life?

I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on. If you did something stupid or that would now be considered horrific by the social justice police, I don't think you should lose your job or be destroyed by the Twitter mob and the people who live and die with them.

I don't want my organization or the NPC to be racists or even seen as racist. I also don't want them destroying young women in college because they said something stupid. But we have been trained to be terrified of a small, vocal minority in this country to the point that we're making stupid decisions as organizations.

Which goes back to my original point. We wonder why kids and young adults are so physically and mentally ill when this is the world they are living in? How can they not be? It's not healthy.
I think there are some deeper social and cultural issues that have an impact, but simply put, I think that the need to sue at the slightest inkling that you've been wronged is a cause. I think it comes from the past 25 / 30 years where you had to pick a side (Rush Limbaugh). Some of the current news is being blown out of proportion to fill a 24/7 news cycle. As I said too, the internet is forever.

Growing up I was taught to not do anything you don't want to see on the front page of a news paper.

The internet will take some 'ho-hum' not so exciting events and will just amplify these events out of proportion.

The cause is just the advance of technology.

I was an undergrad Greek back in the late 80's / early 90's and I'm sure worse things were said and done by all Greeks at that time. Did we have facebook, twitter, snapchat, tik tok? No. So yeah, people behaved just as badly back then, but what they did was not captured in a way that it would last forever.

I think both sides need to realize there is a spectrum of activity and that it is not either / or.

The reason kids and young adults are so physically and mentally ill is because the internet is on all the time. They won't give themselves a break from it because of FOMO.

Should people loose their jobs because of what they said / did years ago, again, it depends.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like I say this over and over on this forum...but it's only in privileged places that the brain isn't fully formed at 18. Tell that to an 18 year old in Afghanistan who is already married and a parent and has to follow the rules of engagement, or else he is going to prison. Or an 18 year old in an urban neighborhood who doesn't have the ability to go to college. They mess up, they answer for it. What's fair is fair. 18 is old enough to not have your head in your ass and joke about the KKK.

Whether it's right, wrong or overly PC...we live in a world where what you post on social media, to quote one wise ADPi, is your resume. It's going to be with us for the rest of our lives. Jobs will search your social media- mine does. If parents aren't educating their kids about this, they're doing them a huge disservice.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I feel like I say this over and over on this forum...but it's only in privileged places that the brain isn't fully formed at 18. Tell that to an 18 year old in Afghanistan who is already married and a parent and has to follow the rules of engagement, or else he is going to prison. Or an 18 year old in an urban neighborhood who doesn't have the ability to go to college. They mess up, they answer for it. What's fair is fair. 18 is old enough to not have your head in your ass and joke about the KKK.

Whether it's right, wrong or overly PC...we live in a world where what you post on social media, to quote one wise ADPi, is your resume. It's going to be with us for the rest of our lives. Jobs will search your social media- mine does. If parents aren't educating their kids about this, they're doing them a huge disservice.
You have any scientific evidence of this. All the studies seem to say the opposite.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 AM

She’s just saying that in those situations no one gives a shit about the scientific evidence. Not that the evidence doesn’t exist.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Scientific evidence of what? The fact that 18 year olds aren't bitching out in any other aspect of life except college campuses? Source: my friends who were in Iraq at that age. Your brain is developed- if theirs is developed enough to face death and create a will, hers is developed enough not to say something asinine.

Any other questions?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post

Precisely.

And it's our fault. Those of us who have children and grandchildren in this age group, who have failed to demonstrate so far that choices have consequences and that their behavior will be excused by "childhood".

At 18, one is an adult. Period.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking from a criminal justice perspective, an 18 year old is not always treated the same as an adult. We have youthful offender programs for exactly the reason that what we know about this age group is that they sometimes do really stupid things, but are capable of reform.

Regardless of the education these children receive, they're going to make dumb choices. Especially in males, the pre-frontal cortex, which governs inhibition, i.e., the part of your brain that tells the rest of the brain it's being an asshat, isn't fully formed in most until age 26.

Destroying them for bad decisions they can learn from makes no sense. We get this in the criminal justice system. The interwebs can catch up.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Speaking from a criminal justice perspective, an 18 year old is not always treated the same as an adult. We have youthful offender programs for exactly the reason that what we know about this age group is that they sometimes do really stupid things, but are capable of reform.

Regardless of the education these children receive, they're going to make dumb choices. Especially in males, the pre-frontal cortex, which governs inhibition, i.e., the part of your brain that tells the rest of the brain it's being an asshat, isn't fully formed in most until age 26.

Destroying them for bad decisions they can learn from makes no sense. We get this in the criminal justice system. The interwebs can catch up.
What he said.