GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,355
1 members and 2,354 guests
zolivilittlez29

Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSK480
I'm sure if any post I make replying to MysticCat if I called him a Phi Mu brother he would become quite upset.
There were some folks on my old campus who did just that, out of pure ignorance, of course. Nevertheless, you are quite right -- neither we nor the actual Phi Mus on campus appreciated it at all.

Unlike the "analogy" we were discussing above, I think that the argument you made is the valid and persausive argument as to why the use of "frat" should be avoided, except in those contexts (such as in the NPHC) where it doesn't carry the negative connotation you describe.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat81
There were some folks on my old campus who did just that, out of pure ignorance, of course. Nevertheless, you are quite right -- neither we nor the actual Phi Mus on campus appreciated it at all.

The Sinfonians on my campus didn't mind it AS MUCH, because the closest chapter of Phi Mu was about a hundred miles away at UofI, but they did MUCH prefer to be Sinfonians. (I lived on a co-ed floor, and I swear half of the guys side were Sinfonians...but then again, it was the fine arts floor, so that makes sense ).
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
The Sinfonians on my campus didn't mind it AS MUCH, because the closest chapter of Phi Mu was about a hundred miles away at UofI,. . . .
I'm probably particularly sensitive to it, since we did have a Phi Mu chapter and since my sister is a Phi Mu.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can you and Drolefille talk to my wife?
We're using our female powers to talk to her now... did you leave the seat up again? Tsk tsk...

And I agree that's a valid argument. And while most guys prefer fraternity, some don't mind "frat" thus teaching it to each class of freshman girls (because that's who the guys hang out with, right?) and it gets passed along.

When in doubt, default to fraternity.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
We're using our female powers to talk to her now... did you leave the seat up again? Tsk tsk...
That was our son. I've been trying to teach him.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Rules of the Toilet Seat (feel free to print out for him):

1. If the females outnumber the males in the house, the toilet seat must remain down.

2. If the females in the house do not outnumber the males, the toilet seat must remain down.

3. If there is a slight possibility a female may enter the house anytime in the current month, the toilet seat must remain down.

4. If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Awww how old?

And remember, a man's home is his castle, it's just that he isn't the king!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670
I think there are several women out there who need to read this one.
I don't understand that. I worked at a local movie theater and had to clean the bathrooms... EW... How do you pee on the wall in a WOMEN'S restroom!?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't understand that. I worked at a local movie theater and had to clean the bathrooms... EW... How do you pee on the wall in a WOMEN'S restroom!?
Women who don't want to sit on other women's pee squat over the seat, therefore peeing on the seat themselves. Ironic, no??
Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Women who don't want to sit on other women's pee squat over the seat, therefore peeing on the seat themselves. Ironic, no??
But on the WALL!
*shudder*

er on-topic, peeing on the wall is something "frat" guys would do
Fraternity men never pee on walls.

/Kind of a Goofus and Gallant thing
Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
[quote=ladygreek]He would be more offended by the word boy than the word frat. quote]

Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
Are you serious?
There's no such thing as "UFC". Well, unless you count the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Which is not, by the way, an institution of higher learning.
It's not!!!!! I was gonna have some of my friends apply there!!! Bummer, now I guess I'll tell them about UCF!!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
Are you serious? Any sorority that would drop me for using the word "frat", I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of anyway. That's in the top ten list of Dumbest Things I've Ever Heard.
Every year, 100s of women join UCF sororities. They know virtually nothing about Greek Life and PC terminology. They get bids because they have good applications and they're nice people. I have no doubt that in other parts of the world, someone might be dropped from recruitment for not already knowing everything about Greek Life and the correct PC terms.

In the following weeks, they will attend their first social. Some new member will invariably use the word "frat" at said event and get a 30-minute lecture from the 5th year senior in the fraternity about word usage. Her sisters will laugh at him, but the new member will take his speech to heart. And from that point forward, the new member will use the word fraternity. To summarize-- not much of an issue if you're a newbie.

However, also in my experience, we referred to houses by name. And if you were dating a guy, the question was never, "Is he in a fraternity?" or "What fraternity is he in?" 99 times out of 100 you would be asked "What is he?"-- the response to which could be any of the fraternities or the succinct "GDI" (to which the person would respond "Ohhh" and walk away).
Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
But on the WALL!
*shudder*

er on-topic, peeing on the wall is something "frat" guys would do
Fraternity men never pee on walls.

/Kind of a Goofus and Gallant thing
Wasn't that from that Highlights magazine that was always in hospital/dentist waiting rooms? Anyway that would make a hilarious cartoon.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC
Wasn't that from that Highlights magazine that was always in hospital/dentist waiting rooms? Anyway that would make a hilarious cartoon.
That was the exact image I had in my head when I typed that