GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,120
0 members and 1,120 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2000, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Relay for Life

I just got home from watching the luminaria ceremony at our local Relay for Life (this is an American Cancer Society fundraiser). Very beautiful and moving!

I saw a few relay members wearing GLO t-shirts, which has me wondering if any of your chapters or councils have teams in the Relay? What a great cause as well as great publicity for the participants!
Old 02-26-2001, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I know that this is a topic from last summer, but I thought I'd go ahead and respond.

My service sorority participates in the Relay for Life every summer. One of our alumnae was diagnosed with cancer when she was a sophmore, so the American Cancer Society has become one of our big philanthropies. The Relay is really amazing! It occurs from sundown to sunup, and symbolizes the journey that a cancer patient goes through. Dusk symbolizes the initial diagnosis, then as the night gets colder and darker participants are reminded of how difficult and emotional a cancer patient's life can become. The rising sun in the morning symbolizes the end of treatment and the continuation of life.

The lumniary ceremony is indeed very moving. It can be for those diagnosed with cancer who survived or a memorial to those that did not make it. Last summer our team's luminary was a giant old refrigerator box, and two girls stood in it for hours with flashlights!

It's truly a great cause, and I thought I would let you all know about a fundraiser that we are doing in March. I am a Mary Kay consultant, and for the month of March I am donating 100% of the profits from my sales to our chapter's Relay for Life fund. So, if anyone is in need of makeup and would like to help our philanthropy, you can visit www.marykay.com/jmitchell7. If no one does, that's okay. I'm not trying to solicit for myself, but the relay really is a good cause!

And there are relays all over the country, too. Our sorority uses it as a summer reunion type event, so if any of you are looking for a good thing to do in the summer time, definately look for the Relay for Life in your area!

[This message has been edited by pbear19 (edited February 26, 2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter is becoming more involved in Relay for Life, partly because in the last 4 years, we have lost 2 young brothers to cancer. The first was an active brother, within a few months of his initiation. Nobody knew he was sick until he died, not even himself. The last was an alum, class of '97. He died just a couple of weeks ago, and had been battling cancer my entire time as an active, over 2 years.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 03-09-2001, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Chi O Cutie
Cool

I know this is a very old post but, I am so glad that someone has mentioned Relay For Life.

My mother has worked for the American Cancer Society for over 20 years and I have been participating in Relay For Life ever since it was started in 1985 (I was three!). It is a wonderful event and I am getting my Chi Omega chapter to form a team for the area's upcoming relay. We will also be trying to get one of the fraternities on campus to participate as well.

Several greeks on my campus have recently been quietly battling cancer, including one of my sisters. Not only does participating give those close to us support, it helps the community and is a great place to bond even more with your brothers and sisters!!

For more information call the American Cancer Society at 800)-ACS-2345 OR www.cancer.org

April
Old 07-26-2001, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Well, I haven't posted in forever and this thread is really old, but I just wanted to brag that my sorority raised over 2000 for this year's relay. It was just last weekend and was a huge success for us. Even over the summer we had some 20 or 30 girls there, and I'm really proud of all of them!