GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,587
1 members and 2,586 guests
FSUZeta

Old 06-12-2001, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry summer job

I moved home for summer about a month ago, since then I haven't been able to find a full time job. I have filled out over 30 applications, but companies are saying that they just aren't interested in hiring someone who will be going back to school in a few months. Help! Should I just lie and tell them I am not completing my degree? Is anyone else having this kind of problem???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2001, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by greekgirl:
I moved home for summer about a month ago, since then I haven't been able to find a full time job. I have filled out over 30 applications, but companies are saying that they just aren't interested in hiring someone who will be going back to school in a few months. Help! Should I just lie and tell them I am not completing my degree? Is anyone else having this kind of problem???
Why do you think I spend all of my time here?
I feel ya!
Old 06-12-2001, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greekgirl:
I wouldn't lie to the company... it's not morally correct.
Perhaps the kinds of positions you are applying for are the wrong types for summer only employment(e.g. secretarial, bank...) I, as a company, would not want to hire, train, process benefits for an employee that I know will be jetting back to school in a matter of months.

Try going through a temp agency. The pay is alright, but the freedom is great!

Best of luck

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me
Old 06-12-2001, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I was having this same dilemma (as posted in the Summertime Blahs thread). I was lucky to get a job that I'd had for 2 previous summers.

Even still, its in retail, and I work wierd hours. Not the 9-5 job I would have liked. I would suggest going to a temp agency if you must have something with daytime hours. Otherwise, try retail businesses. Usually if you tell them that you'd be willing to transfer to a store wherever you go back to college, they look more favorably upon your application.

I know to get my job back I had to promise to work weekends when I come home from school and Christmas.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Uh-oh...

See, my lazy butt hasn't completed the application for Starbucks yet...

And my parents won't let me work during the school year http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif. So, if Starbucks asks, do I have to fess up that it's only going to be a summer job, unless I can work on holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.)??
Old 06-13-2001, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say you're not sure what your schedule will be like when school starts, and that you would be interested in continuing working, but you don't know for sure. I hate to say be vague, but who knows, between then and now, circumstances may change and you'll find the time to work during school. Yeah, its a slim chance, but since anything's possible, let them know that you will do it if you can.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl:
I was having this same dilemma (as posted in the Summertime Blahs thread). I was lucky to get a job that I'd had for 2 previous summers.

Even still, its in retail, and I work wierd hours. Not the 9-5 job I would have liked. I would suggest going to a temp agency if you must have something with daytime hours. Otherwise, try retail businesses. Usually if you tell them that you'd be willing to transfer to a store wherever you go back to college, they look more favorably upon your application.

I know to get my job back I had to promise to work weekends when I come home from school and Christmas.
Same here!!! Except my job is in a warehouse. We work until everythings done so we never know when we are getting out. That part sucks. I had this job for the previous two summers as well.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:56 AM

Yeah retail and the mall is usually the best bet (at least in my experience) for college students. although the pay isn't that high as we need (hehe), they are willing to hire and train college students even if they know they would go back to school...i've had my job here at blockbuster and even though management changes almost as fast as i change purses, i am basically guaranteed a job whenever i go back home for christmas, summer,etc. i didn't even have to transfer to a blockbuster by school (i told them i can't work during school coz of schedule). anyway u can always ask for a raise almost everytime you come back from school, coz at least they see youre consistent...the hours at blockbuster are weird as well and of course if i have to work 5 pm-closing that means we dont get out until usually after 12:30 or so...but im an insomniac and im more productive at nighttime than daytime anyway...
Old 06-13-2001, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am having fun with my internship. I work everyday from 9-2 and I don't get paid. It is cool, though, cause I am working at a radio station (the number 1 FM in Louisville, KY). I am getting a lot of experience, but at 3 or 4 every day I go to my job in retail at this place that just opened... Marshall's. They pay okay, and it is just a summer gig but I don't get out of there til just after 10 at night, 9AM-10PM I work. And I only get paid for the time at Marshall's-can we say I AM TIRED! I HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE! WAAAHHHH!! CRY!!!
okay I feel better!

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."
Old 06-14-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I don't start my full time job for the summer until June 24th. That leaves me working a full time job for a little over two months. I am wasting away here on GC. I have one Brother making 10 dollars an hour on an internship at an amusement park, another making 9.75 an hour hanging signs along the highway, and I am making 2.38 an hour waiting on tables. I don't even make good tips, I would say I have made 250 in tips all summer. Too bad dues are crazy this fall, highest on campus, I have to pay my rent, and I still have my damn credit card bills. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I have wasted my summer so far.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for your advice juniorgrrl!!!! Now I hope I get that job *cross fingers, oh please!!* he hee