GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,599
0 members and 2,599 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2003, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The guy who showed his grip was an SAE. Why he was even on the show, I don't know.

Also, for the Phi Delts - to give out 75 bids, have 55 accept and only have 26 go through initiation - whats up with that?

That campus looks awesome. I was happy to see a lot of Beta pictures, video clips and music.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Cudos to the History Channel.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the History Channel did a great job.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

They showed a Theta Chi house!!!! And Westol.

I'm a Rattlesnake. Should I be in Texas?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone here go to Ole Miss? That looks like a fun campous.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

That Theta Chi house was at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. The house still stands, however the chapter is pretty much defunct. I noticed that house right away!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up two thumbs up

I liked it a lot... unfortunatly I wouldn't recommend that you watch it with your very GDI boyfriend... big arguments will insue.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 09-01-2003, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I'm still not sure what to think. I, too, am a little concerned about how much they glossed over. I guess the pull of "reality TV" was just too strong. The pledge in question seemed a little reluctant going into FDQ at first, but I think he learned to love it. Though what's up with their locking the pledges in a room for a week? That I found mildly disturbing.

As an historian, I don't know what to think. I wish that the History Channel had cited its sources. And I wish that they had provided a more in-depth look at the history and ideals of fraternities.

*mentally files a note for a post-doctoral project*
Old 09-01-2003, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I watched and it was very objective in my opinion...it emphasized the Alumni connection a little bit more than I would have guessed, but I imagine there are varying levels of alumni stepping up to get you an edge depending on the chapter and the location throughout the country.

ZZ-kai-

I noticed the Beta pictures a lot too. I was watching with some pledges and kept pointing out pictures that weren't obviously Beta to them...like the video clip of the one of the Conventions held in Miami with all the attendees sitting on the hill behind the Administrative Office.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

BetaRulz! - yes, there were a lot of Beta pics, most of which you wouldn't have really noticed unless you were a Beta. There were several at the Alpha house at Miami U., several of Old Miami and the Beta campenile, the Vanderbilt Beta pic, the Ole Miss Beta house, about 8 pictures of various Beta group shots from different campuses, For the Staunchest playing in the background and the video clips and pics. of the Admin Office.

The credits cited all the orgs. that the History Channel worked with. I too would have liked to see more of a historical portion - but hey, it was good anyway.

Oh yeah, 14-16 hours all stuck in one room, whats up with that? No class the week of hell week? hmmmm
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

it's interesting that fraternity boys was followed by a "documentary" on cleavage....
draw your own conclusions....
i actually didn't think it was all that bad.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 PM

I thought it was pretty well done. It tackled the subjects of hazing and alcohol without allowing them to become the overriding topic of the ninety minutes.

The pledge deaths were covered without sensationalism. They could easily have been the entire storyline of the program. Obviously, they had to be mentioned -- but they didn't dwell on them.

It was interesting to me to hear some of the comments of alumni as they talked of their experiences which included what would be considered hazing today -- and probably weren't "back then." At least that relates to my experiences.

I don't think the alumni connection was overdone -- although I'm not sure it's as strong a calling card today as it was a generation or two ago.

I would have liked to have seen a little more depth in the "secret society" segment -- but, to be fair, it was a little off the main topic of the overall program.

In the end, the comments of the administrators, some of whom are obviously Greek alumni, ring important to me. That is that we need to return more to the reasons for our founding and the things taught in our Rituals. Those things are important to the survival of the system.

It's really not possible to adequately cover nearly 230 years of fraternities in America in ninety minutes -- but I was pleased, overall, with the tone and outcome of the broadcast.

Edited to add:

On reflection, I would have liked to have seen them cover two chapters perhaps -- one being what would probably be considered a more "normal" chapter on a campus in another section of the country. Perhaps one of 40 to 60 members on a campus where the system isn't as strong. That might have been a nice ballance.

Finally (although I'm sure I'll think of more), I'm very appreciative that 60 of the 90 minutes weren't spent on parties, drinking, drugs and sex.

I guess that's the difference between a real documentary and "reality TV." Don't suppose anyone from MTV was watching.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-01-2003 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I agree with Kappa they should have site sources and should have showen more history. I do think it was objective and I did enjoy it.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
something's missing

I, too, thought it was a fair and objective program. There should have been more information on NPHC fraternities though. We got just a little taste and that was it; more like a sidenote to greek life
Old 09-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Thought it was great. I was kind of hoping he'd go Sigma Nu

But I can really see how the Sigma Nu chapter thought they'd be wasting a bid. It's tough to tell sometimes and with a 4th generation legacy of another fraternity, chances are he'd go the other way anyhow.

Our Ole Miss chapter is one of our top chapters -- boasts members like Eli Manning (and his dad) and Senator Trent Lott. They raised near 85,000 in their annual Charity Bowl philanthropy last year.

There were a few things that really made me wince -- like the SAE showing his handshake and the title of the program. Otherwise, I enjoyed it, recorded it and figure it'll be used as part of our new member education program teaching about how the Greek System came to be and where it needs to go.

Overall, I think the program was great in that it really challenges us Greeks of today to really live the values taught in our rituals.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-02-2003, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
For the Staunchest playing in the background...
Yeah, I started singing along, and got some weird looks from the pledges in the room.